Alaska Excursions Ideas 2023

I_AM_GROOT

Any idea what we could do in Alaska for excursions or what to check out ourselves? We aren't really into Kayaking or hiking too much. Currently only got Skagway with White Pass Summit Train ride planned. We are going in June with Carnival.

• Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord
  • Juneau
  • Ketchikan
  • Victoria - Thinking of just roaming the town and grabbing dinner somewhere.

13 minutes ago, I_AM_GROOT said:

Any idea what we could do in Alaska for excursions or what to check out ourselves? We aren't really into Kayaking or hiking too much. Currently only got Skagway with White Pass Summit Train ride planned. We are going in June with Carnival.

• Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord
  • Juneau
  • Ketchikan
  • Victoria - Thinking of just roaming the town and grabbing dinner somewhere.

Tracy Arm is a scenic sailing. 

Juneau whale watching and you can bus to Mendehall Glacier. 

Ketchikan is great for bear tours. Also Misty fjord is amazing plus many people hit Totem Bight State Park and explore Creek Street 

On our very first cruise to Alaska was traveling with a family group of 7.  I got off the ship in Juneau and got a mini van taxi at an hourly rate, it was fantastic.  Driver took us to lots of must see places, even had gold panning stuff.  

I am in the process of planning yet another Alaska, and since it is 3 of us, decided to repeat the experience.  Just came across Unplugged Adventures, a self guided Jeep rental, complete with narrated and customizable navigation system starting at just over 300 for the vehicle. Believe we will go with that, revisit some places and explore some new ones.  I believe they service most lines. Check it out.

If you want something unique, blackbird hovercraft tours in Ketchikan.  Cool experience if you never been on one  

Some simple ideas:

Juneau:  If whale watching is not of interest consider the Alaska State Museum, the Sealaska Heritage Institute or the Mt.  Roberts Tramway (if the weather cooperates).  There will be kiosks on the piers selling shuttle bus tickets to Mendenhall Glacier.

Ketchikan:  We were in Ketchikan twice last summer and the funicular between Creek Street and the Cape Fox Lodge wasn't running either time.  I asked two locals and received two very different answers.  I have a feeling that it will not return.  In any event, the Totem Heritage Museum is in town and has a great collection of old totems housed inside (great option if it is raining).  Ketchikan has a lovely small museum located at the edge of Creek Street.  And there is also the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center.  One of my favorite restaurants in SE Alaska is Annabelles which is right downtown.

Victoria:  It is a lovely walk from the cruise terminal downtown.  Our favorite restaurant is the Bard and Banker Scottish Pub located on Government Street.  

Skagway:  While our OP has plans for the WP&YRR they should also be aware that the National Park Service owns a number of buildings in Skagway which are operated as museums.

3 hours ago, cw2go said:

Tracy Arm is a scenic sailing. 

Juneau whale watching and you can bus to Mendehall Glacier. 

Ketchikan is great for bear tours. Also Misty fjord is amazing plus many people hit Totem Bight State Park and explore Creek Street 

Whale watching seems to be on interest list for sure. Do you have any good info on who to use for that?

1 hour ago, lobsternight said:

On our very first cruise to Alaska was traveling with a family group of 7.  I got off the ship in Juneau and got a mini van taxi at an hourly rate, it was fantastic.  Driver took us to lots of must see places, even had gold panning stuff.  

I am in the process of planning yet another Alaska, and since it is 3 of us, decided to repeat the experience.  Just came across Unplugged Adventures, a self guided Jeep rental, complete with narrated and customizable navigation system starting at just over 300 for the vehicle. Believe we will go with that, revisit some places and explore some new ones.  I believe they service most lines. Check it out.

If you want something unique, blackbird hovercraft tours in Ketchikan.  Cool experience if you never been on one  

Thanks! I'll have to check out that blackbird hovercraft tour.

54 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

Some simple ideas:

Juneau:  If whale watching is not of interest consider the Alaska State Museum, the Sealaska Heritage Institute or the Mt.  Roberts Tramway (if the weather cooperates).  There will be kiosks on the piers selling shuttle bus tickets to Mendenhall Glacier.

Ketchikan:  We were in Ketchikan twice last summer and the funicular between Creek Street and the Cape Fox Lodge wasn't running either time.  I asked two locals and received two very different answers.  I have a feeling that it will not return.  In any event, the Totem Heritage Museum is in town and has a great collection of old totems housed inside (great option if it is raining).  Ketchikan has a lovely small museum located at the edge of Creek Street.  And there is also the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center.  One of my favorite restaurants in SE Alaska is Annabelles which is right downtown.

Victoria:  It is a lovely walk from the cruise terminal downtown.  Our favorite restaurant is the Bard and Banker Scottish Pub located on Government Street.  

Skagway:  While our OP has plans for the WP&YRR they should also be aware that the National Park Service owns a number of buildings in Skagway which are operated as museums.

Thanks for some idea's! These do help. Luckily father has a National Park Pass so that helps a bit.

The Tramway does seem like cool idea, have you done it yet?

1 hour ago, I_AM_GROOT said:

Whale watching seems to be on interest list for sure. Do you have any good info on who to use for that?

Thanks! I'll have to check out that blackbird hovercraft tour.

Thanks for some idea's! These do help. Luckily father has a National Park Pass so that helps a bit.

The Tramway does seem like cool idea, have you done it yet?

We have used Allen Marine in Juneau.

And yes, we have done the Mt. Robert Tramway a number of times.   Remember -- "AK" is not the US postal abbreviation for Arkansas, but for Alaska.  On a clear day the views from the Mt. Roberts Tramway are incredible.  We never book before as while the lines may look long they move very quickly.  

• Like 1