Prima Review November 19-26

reeinaz

This is my first review. I just wanted to put that out there. I’m also a new cruiser. I went on my 1st cruise in December 2019. I’ve been on a total of 10, mostly Carnival. My last 3 have been on NCL. I’m also a solo cruiser.

This is a review of the Nov 19-26 sailing of the Prima.

I liked it. There were some things that I didn’t like, but overall, I enjoyed the cruise.

The 1st thing I did when I got onboard was find my way to making entertainment reservations (deck 6 forward in the theater.) since none could be made in advance. I typically wouldn't have done that but I ran into some people I knew in the terminal and we all boarded together, so I just tagged along. I booked the Donna Summer show, Noise Boys, The Price is Right, and any comedy show that required reservations. I think you could also make reservations for activities like the go-karts there too. You were only allowed to reserve 1 showing of each show. I did not make any specialty dining reservations. Those reservations were being made in a different area. I had already purchased the Vibe pass online and although I heard rumors that they only sold 15-20% online, and held the rest for on board purchase, I didn’t meet anyone in the Vibe who hadn’t bought theirs in advance. Maybe that’s a change they made for future Vibe sales? So since I’m already talking about the Vibe, I will start my review there.

Vibe Beach Club

So apparently, this was the crew from the Encore, Rommel, Michael, and Vincent aka Curly. Everyone knew them and they knew everyone. It was like being a bystander at a family reunion. The cool thing was that I was also family in no time at all. It was never crowded there although finding a seat at the bar was sometimes a challenge. We joked that it seemed like the number of chairs at the bar decreased daily. Getting drinks was never a problem however. No drinks allowed at the hot tub. it was said that the captain was very strict about some things and that was one of them. I saw white shirts frequently keeping an eye on things, whether in the Vibe itself or looking down from deck 18. The Vibe doors stayed open for long time which allowed nonVibe guests to wander in. But they were quickly informed that the area was for Vibe guests only. At first it was mostly the bartenders doing that, but as the days passed the deck attendants had taken that over for the most part. We celebrated shot o’clock several times a day. And I can now say that I’ve had a cheeseburger shot. On a previous cruise, I was told by some bartenders that they could no longer make cocktail shots. I could get the same drink full sized, just not as a shot. I was glad to see that wasn't necessarily factual. I can’t say enough great things about the Vibe bartenders. They even brought one of my friends some cereal because she realized she misjudged when the buffet would open for lunch and hadn’t eaten breakfast. Wind was never an issue. There were some temperature issues with the hot tubs the 1st day. They weren’t hot. But by the second day, one was very hot and the other was more lukewarm. I appreciated the variety. The hot tubs were never crowded. I did not spend any time in the pool area. I only walked through on my way to the buffet.  I walked around ocean boulevard a few times and it never seemed overly crowded any of the times that I was there. I never had a problem finding a place to sit and relax and people watch, but I think that’s a perk of solo cruising. I only need a seat for 1. My next 2 NCL cruises don’t have a Vibe area on their ships and I’m wondering how I will adjust. lol

Entertainment

Out of all my reservations, I only attended Noise Boys and it was ok. I was most impressed by the 2 human beatboxes and would gladly watch a show with just them. Not to take anything away from the dancers and singer in that show. They were all very talented. I did a couple of trivia games in the Improv and I played Bingo on the last day. I also went to Karaoke one night, I think that was in the Improv also. The venue is small, but again, I had no problems finding a seat just for me. I did not attend any Syd Norman’s shows but did go dancing there late night. Rumor has it that the drummer was fired after the first couple shows for fraternization. I really missed being able to sit in O Sheehans and watch the events happening in the atrium. There is no set up like that on the Prima. I felt like events happened in specific venues and the way the ship is set up, you really have to be going to that venue to see what was happening. I didn’t really experience just wandering around and hearing violins playing Single Ladies and following that sound like I did on the  Away ships. But when I did come across the various singers, they were all very good. There was one duo, a guitarist and singer, and the singer had so much energy. Another guest and I were joking to each other about how she was rocking away while singing Stairway to Heaven

Bathrooms

I feel like it was so hard to find a bathroom. It seems like they were all located around corners but no signs were posted saying go this way. Figure out where they are before you need to use one. I found myself looking at the posted decak mps to locate them. But my map reading skills decrease exponentially as my alcohol consumption increases. I didn't like the handles to lock the stall doors. I had a hard time gripping them and I have no dexterity issues. 

Food

I did not do any specialty dining. I ate in the MDR, buffet, Indulge food hall, and the Local. Any complaints that I have are because something didn’t suit my taste, not because a quality issue with the food. My biggest disappointment was not being able to get nachos late at night at the Local because it isn’t on their late night menu and they do not serve blue glaciers. The buffet is only on one side of the ship, so it is a small buffet which limits the options I suppose. I also always sat in the overflow area, Food Republic, rather than wandering around looking for a seat. There is a grill area of the buffet that is right by the Vibe access doors. I found myself getting food there and eating it in Vibe quite a bit. Granted, I ate it mostly to put something in my belly besides alcohol, but I did think the choices I made were tasty ones. I had a pulled pork sandwich, thai grilled drumsticks, grilled chicken breasts, etc. They also had burgers, hot dogs, and sausages. The potato salad was definitely delicious. I ate at the food hall once for lunch during a port day. I felt bad because I ordered way too much food, thinking they were going to be small plates. They were full meals. My favorite was the lemon grass chicken soup. The broth was divine. I had Thanksgiving in the MDR. A Thanksgiving meal was the signature selection for the night. It was sliced turkey, green bean casserole, honey glazed yams, and stuffing with giblet gravy. I also got a side of mac and cheese and mashed potatoes. They had a delicious pumpkin cheesecake on the menu just for that night. 

Cabin

I booked a studio cabin and did not regret my decision to cancel my balcony upgrade bid at all. I stayed in 12501 which is right next to one of the doors to the lounge. I didn’t experience any noise issues and it was convent for the early/late night snacks and drinks. For this sailing at least, I wasn’t charged extra (beyond have the drinks package) when I used the wine and beer and soda stations. They had stella on tap so I was a happy girl. The lodge was divided into 3 areas, one where the drinks and snacks were, another where there was a tv, and a 3rd area that just had seating. I liked that set up more than the typical lounge which was just one big area. I don’t know if there was anything on the deck 13 portion of the lounge. The stairway was unobtrusive and I had assumed that the studios were only on deck 12.

So that's it. If you have any questions, I will try my best to answer. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Hopefully you canceled your entertainment reservations when you didn’t go. A lot of Prima’s entertainment venues are on the small side, esp Std Norman's & the Improv. When we were on Prima in September we missed several shows because they were ”sold out”, and we only got into 1 by last minute waiting in line. Really regret missing the cover band - everyone said they were great.

BTW, with more than 10 cruises under your belt in 3 years @reeinaz, including the covid shutdown, I don’t  think i’d consider you “a new cruiser”. A lot of people on the forum only cruise 1-2x a year and wouldn’t call themselves new. 

I hear singles really love the Primas studio option 

happy cruising!

• Like 1

How was the bed size in the prima studio? From the pictures it looks smaller than in the away class ships. Also has the “virtual porthole” screen basically replaced the TV in those cabins?

Sorry for the questions but I haven’t seen much studio-specific info from Prima and she seems to be scheduled to do quite a few Northern European itineraries. 

7 hours ago, reeinaz said:

This is my first review. I just wanted to put that out there. I’m also a new cruiser. I went on my 1st cruise in December 2019. I’ve been on a total of 10, mostly Carnival. My last 3 have been on NCL. I’m also a solo cruiser.

This is a review of the Nov 19-26 sailing of the Prima.

I liked it. There were some things that I didn’t like, but overall, I enjoyed the cruise.

The 1st thing I did when I got onboard was find my way to making entertainment reservations (deck 6 forward in the theater.) since none could be made in advance. I typically wouldn't have done that but I ran into some people I knew in the terminal and we all boarded together, so I just tagged along. I booked the Donna Summer show, Noise Boys, The Price is Right, and any comedy show that required reservations. I think you could also make reservations for activities like the go-karts there too. You were only allowed to reserve 1 showing of each show. I did not make any specialty dining reservations. Those reservations were being made in a different area. I had already purchased the Vibe pass online and although I heard rumors that they only sold 15-20% online, and held the rest for on board purchase, I didn’t meet anyone in the Vibe who hadn’t bought theirs in advance. Maybe that’s a change they made for future Vibe sales? So since I’m already talking about the Vibe, I will start my review there.

Vibe Beach Club

So apparently, this was the crew from the Encore, Rommel, Michael, and Vincent aka Curly. Everyone knew them and they knew everyone. It was like being a bystander at a family reunion. The cool thing was that I was also family in no time at all. It was never crowded there although finding a seat at the bar was sometimes a challenge. We joked that it seemed like the number of chairs at the bar decreased daily. Getting drinks was never a problem however. No drinks allowed at the hot tub. it was said that the captain was very strict about some things and that was one of them. I saw white shirts frequently keeping an eye on things, whether in the Vibe itself or looking down from deck 18. The Vibe doors stayed open for long time which allowed nonVibe guests to wander in. But they were quickly informed that the area was for Vibe guests only. At first it was mostly the bartenders doing that, but as the days passed the deck attendants had taken that over for the most part. We celebrated shot o’clock several times a day. And I can now say that I’ve had a cheeseburger shot. On a previous cruise, I was told by some bartenders that they could no longer make cocktail shots. I could get the same drink full sized, just not as a shot. I was glad to see that wasn't necessarily factual. I can’t say enough great things about the Vibe bartenders. They even brought one of my friends some cereal because she realized she misjudged when the buffet would open for lunch and hadn’t eaten breakfast. Wind was never an issue. There were some temperature issues with the hot tubs the 1st day. They weren’t hot. But by the second day, one was very hot and the other was more lukewarm. I appreciated the variety. The hot tubs were never crowded. I did not spend any time in the pool area. I only walked through on my way to the buffet.  I walked around ocean boulevard a few times and it never seemed overly crowded any of the times that I was there. I never had a problem finding a place to sit and relax and people watch, but I think that’s a perk of solo cruising. I only need a seat for 1. My next 2 NCL cruises don’t have a Vibe area on their ships and I’m wondering how I will adjust. lol

Entertainment

Out of all my reservations, I only attended Noise Boys and it was ok. I was most impressed by the 2 human beatboxes and would gladly watch a show with just them. Not to take anything away from the dancers and singer in that show. They were all very talented. I did a couple of trivia games in the Improv and I played Bingo on the last day. I also went to Karaoke one night, I think that was in the Improv also. The venue is small, but again, I had no problems finding a seat just for me. I did not attend any Syd Norman’s shows but did go dancing there late night. Rumor has it that the drummer was fired after the first couple shows for fraternization. I really missed being able to sit in O Sheehans and watch the events happening in the atrium. There is no set up like that on the Prima. I felt like events happened in specific venues and the way the ship is set up, you really have to be going to that venue to see what was happening. I didn’t really experience just wandering around and hearing violins playing Single Ladies and following that sound like I did on the  Away ships. But when I did come across the various singers, they were all very good. There was one duo, a guitarist and singer, and the singer had so much energy. Another guest and I were joking to each other about how she was rocking away while singing Stairway to Heaven

Bathrooms

I feel like it was so hard to find a bathroom. It seems like they were all located around corners but no signs were posted saying go this way. Figure out where they are before you need to use one. I found myself looking at the posted decak mps to locate them. But my map reading skills decrease exponentially as my alcohol consumption increases. I didn't like the handles to lock the stall doors. I had a hard time gripping them and I have no dexterity issues. 

Food

I did not do any specialty dining. I ate in the MDR, buffet, Indulge food hall, and the Local. Any complaints that I have are because something didn’t suit my taste, not because a quality issue with the food. My biggest disappointment was not being able to get nachos late at night at the Local because it isn’t on their late night menu and they do not serve blue glaciers. The buffet is only on one side of the ship, so it is a small buffet which limits the options I suppose. I also always sat in the overflow area, Food Republic, rather than wandering around looking for a seat. There is a grill area of the buffet that is right by the Vibe access doors. I found myself getting food there and eating it in Vibe quite a bit. Granted, I ate it mostly to put something in my belly besides alcohol, but I did think the choices I made were tasty ones. I had a pulled pork sandwich, thai grilled drumsticks, grilled chicken breasts, etc. They also had burgers, hot dogs, and sausages. The potato salad was definitely delicious. I ate at the food hall once for lunch during a port day. I felt bad because I ordered way too much food, thinking they were going to be small plates. They were full meals. My favorite was the lemon grass chicken soup. The broth was divine. I had Thanksgiving in the MDR. A Thanksgiving meal was the signature selection for the night. It was sliced turkey, green bean casserole, honey glazed yams, and stuffing with giblet gravy. I also got a side of mac and cheese and mashed potatoes. They had a delicious pumpkin cheesecake on the menu just for that night. 

Cabin

I booked a studio cabin and did not regret my decision to cancel my balcony upgrade bid at all. I stayed in 12501 which is right next to one of the doors to the lounge. I didn’t experience any noise issues and it was convent for the early/late night snacks and drinks. For this sailing at least, I wasn’t charged extra (beyond have the drinks package) when I used the wine and beer and soda stations. They had stella on tap so I was a happy girl. The lodge was divided into 3 areas, one where the drinks and snacks were, another where there was a tv, and a 3rd area that just had seating. I liked that set up more than the typical lounge which was just one big area. I don’t know if there was anything on the deck 13 portion of the lounge. The stairway was unobtrusive and I had assumed that the studios were only on deck 12.

So that's it. If you have any questions, I will try my best to answer. 

It's David & Cal from the Vibe...great review.  Good meeting you!  Glad to hear you had a good trip...as we did.

@ColdCruise If I had planned on not attending, I would've cancelled. But sometimes you look up and realize the thing you had planned to do started 15 minutes ago. I suppose that's a con of solo cruising, no one to remind me of what I'm supposed to be doing. But they release the reservations 10 minutes before show time so plenty of people were able to get on from the waitlist from my conversations. I was actually thanked a few times for my no-show. lol They do claim to charge people for no-shows for dinner reservations however. I'm not sure how that would work with a la cart restaurants though.  Since most of my cruises have been on ships sailing at well under 50% capacity, frequently with more crew than passengers, I discount most of my experience as not being typical. So I still consider myself a newbie.

@eileeshb The bed seemed the same size to me. It is flush against the wall though as opposed to the studios on the away class ships being set in a few inches. And yes, the virtual porthole is now just a channel on the tv. I wonder if other cabins can access that channel. 

@MullD003Hi!!! It was so nice meeting you too!

Edited by reeinaz

Lovely review, we have not been able to book vibe online as says unavailable, we only booked 2 months out - do you know where they sell them on the Prime (it was guest services on "away" ships, if any, on embarkation, we have always been lucky and able to get them on previous "away" cruiseships. 

On 11/28/2022 at 7:35 AM, kenzie said:

Lovely review, we have not been able to book vibe online as says unavailable, we only booked 2 months out - do you know where they sell them on the Prime (it was guest services on "away" ships, if any, on embarkation, we have always been lucky and able to get them on previous "away" cruiseships. 

I don't know. The people in the cruise terminal said Guest services. There were some people who had purchased Vibe passes but their room key didn't say Vibe on it like mine and they were referred to guest services. No one that I met in Vibe purchased theirs onboard. People I chatted with that had asked about purchasing them once onboard were told they were sold out. I didn't ask where they went.

On 11/27/2022 at 12:05 PM, reeinaz said:

…If you have any questions, I will try my best to answer. 

Great review. Love it! Thank you.

Three questions:

1.) Did you visit the spa/thermal suite at all? If yes, worth it?
2.) Did the studio suite feel claustrophobic? It looks really small but I really love the design. I sometimes sail solo since my partner “doesn’t like cruising”, or so he says. 
And 3.) in the MDR, did you have a private table or were large (group) tables at an option? 

Thanks again. 

On 11/29/2022 at 3:06 PM, rosiesunshine said:

Hi, We are cruising on the Prima on the Dec. 30, 2022 sailing. Can anyone tell me what times the shows are scheduled for? NCL chat said they don't know in advance. I just want to make dinner reservations that don't interfere with showtimes.

Thanks! 

I’m only listing the shows that require reservations. 
day 2 - Donna Summer 6:30 and 9:30, comedy 7:00 and 9:00

day 3 - price is Right 7:00 and 9:30, comedy 8:00 and 10:30

day 4 - Noise Boys 7:00 and 9:00

day 5 - noise boys 7:00 and 9:00,

comedy 8:00 and 10:00

day 7- Donna summer 6:30 and 9:30,

comedy 8:00 and 10:00

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/29/2022 at 4:12 PM, sid_9169 said:

It's going to be great seeing Rommel, Michael, and Vincent at the Vibe in February!... It's been since December 2019 that I was last on NCL...

They were amazing. I understand now the people who only sail on the ships they are working in the Vibe!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BelleEpoque said:

Great review. Love it! Thank you.

Three questions:

1.) Did you visit the spa/thermal suite at all? If yes, worth it?
2.) Did the studio suite feel claustrophobic? It looks really small but I really love the design. I sometimes sail solo since my partner “doesn’t like cruising”, or so he says. 
And 3.) in the MDR, did you have a private table or were large (group) tables at an option? 

Thanks again. 

1. I didn’t use the spa but some people I knew did. They really enjoyed it. The only thing was that the jets weren’t installed for our sailing

2. I don’t think they feel claustrophobic. But they are far from spacious. I think they are fine for 1 person. 
3. I ate with people I met on board and I sometimes ate dinner with other solo travelers. But in general, when I dine alone, I’m seated at a 2 top. I’ve never just been sat at a table with other people or even asked if I wanted to. 

• Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 2:39 PM, reeinaz said:

1. I didn’t use the spa but some people I knew did. They really enjoyed it. The only thing was that the jets weren’t installed for our sailing

The jets in the 2 spa pools didn’t work on the 3 September “ inaugural” paying pax cruise. Disappointing as we were in a spa balcony. At first,spa staff insisted the pools weren’t jetted pools until we pointed out the actual jets several days into the cruise. Then one of the spa staff told us they didn’t work because the lines (plumbing) weren’t connected (or connected incorrectly) and that it w/couldn’t be fixed until Prima got to Miami.

On 11/30/2022 at 9:11 PM, BelleEpoque said:

@BelleEpoque(great name BTW) check out the you tube video  from Ship Life (Jay) or Matzi (forgot his channel) - they both covered those rooms, Jay was staying in one and did an in-depth.

Edited by ColdCruise
Shortened quote
  • Like 1

On 12/4/2022 at 9:57 PM, ColdCruise said:

@BelleEpoque(great name BTW) check out the you tube video  from Ship Life (Jay) or Matzi (forgot his channel) - they both covered those rooms, Jay was staying in one and did an in-depth.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know who Matzi is but I did track down Jay's review, which was helpful.

I always think that I spend so little time in my stateroom that I would probably be ok in an inside cabin, but then when it actually comes time to book, I seem to always end up with a balcony or at least an ocean view as a I love getting the natural light in the morning. Z

But I am a sucker for efficient design, so I think I am going to give this one a try if one is available when I book.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is the Studio lounge on the Prima "open" all night or did it seem like they shut it down at some point?  Still accessible, but..no amenities?

I was on the Encore a couple of weeks ago and it felt like they took everything out of the lounge around 10-11PM or so and turned off the coffee makers/wine pours.

Thank you, great review.   Some folks have said they felt that this ship rocked more than other ships even though they weren’t in bad weather.   Did you experience such? 

Edited by McFins

13 hours ago, macewank said:

Is the Studio lounge on the Prima "open" all night or did it seem like they shut it down at some point?  Still accessible, but..no amenities?

I was on the Encore a couple of weeks ago and it felt like they took everything out of the lounge around 10-11PM or so and turned off the coffee makers/wine pours.

Sorry. I didn't spend much time in the lounge and didn't really keep track of what time it was when I was there. I know one night we did run out of beer and wine (drank it dry...lol). I don't know at what time they refilled it.

• Thanks 1