Room Noise

HockeyBoysMom

I am looking into booking a cruise on the Diamond Princess to Alaska. This is our first cruise, and we are hoping to save most of our money for playing and are looking a going a little more modest with our room. I have room rates for both inside staterooms and an outside stateroom with a fully obstructed view (which I am guessing means that I won't be able to see anything anyway). What I am wondering is if it worth the outside stateroom, even if the available rooms are right above one of the bars on the promenade deck? I am concerned about noise levels being in one of these rooms. I am considering that being in an inside stateroom that does not have such a proximity would be a better choice. Anyone who can give me some advice about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dusty

I am looking into booking a cruise on the Diamond Princess to Alaska.....is if it worth the outside stateroom, even if the available rooms are right above one of the bars on the promenade deck? I am concerned about noise levels......

From my limited experience, I would have to say not to worry. On the Alaskan trips, the pax are not exacty party animals. In fact the bars are almost vacant. On our trip last year, the drink runners just sat around because no one was drinking.

People will tell you that Alaska is the one cruise where you REALLY need a balcony cabin, and, of course, a balcony is very nice, but inside cabins are generally extremely quiet. Given the number of port days, I would probably choose an inside cabin up high on the ship, perhaps one that is located close (but not next to) stairs/elevator that will quickly take you to an upper deck where you can see out. In fact, an inside on the back of Aloha deck would be perfect...quiet and very close to that back door which gives you the whole back of the ship as your viewing area. See my transpacific photo album (link below) to get an idea of what the back of the Sapphire/Diamond is like.

I would be a bit hesitant to book an oceanview right above a public lounge. There most possibly could be some noise in the evenings from the band playing there. An inside on Aloha deck will make you feel much closer to the scenery, I think, as you will be so close to the outside of the ship.

Archived