New loyalty level announcement

Tenderpaw

https://disneycruiselineblog.com

New Pearl level for 25 cruises or more.  Note still based on number of cruises, not points, so 25 3 day cruises in an inside cabin are the same as 25 7 day or 14 day cruises in a suite.  

Honestly, beyond a free Palo meal for the current highest level (which is nice), most of Disneys “benefits” center around the loyal customer being able to spend money with Disney before other less loyal customers.

Other cruise lines have recognized longer cruises over shorter cruises and offered more tangible benefits for years.

Edited by Tenderpaw
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Tenderpaw said:

https://disneycruiselineblog.com

New Pearl level for 25 cruises or more.  Note still based on number of cruises, not points, so 25 3 day cruises in an inside cabin are the same as 25 7 day or 14 day cruises in a suite.  

Honestly, beyond a free Palo meal for the current highest level (which is nice), most of Disneys “benefits” center around the loyal customer being able to spend money with Disney before other less loyal customers.

Other cruise lines have recognized longer cruises over shorter cruises and offered more tangible benefits for years.

I agree.  I wish they'd done some sort of combination of number of cruises and number of nights thing, like Princess has.

And it's a big jump from 10 cruises to 25.

• Like 1

I suspect they are a bit hamstrung by the existing program.  While I'd like something based on number of nights or $ spent, there would be a lot of complaints from those that get "downgraded" by such a switch.  

5 hours ago, jalves said:

I suspect they are a bit hamstrung by the existing program.  While I'd like something based on number of nights or $ spent, there would be a lot of complaints from those that get "downgraded" by such a switch.  

They could grandfather those people who've already achieved specific levels, even if they don't meet the criteria for the new requirements.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

They could grandfather those people who've already achieved specific levels, even if they don't meet the criteria for the new requirements.

This.  Other cruise lines have done a conversion to get people from one method of counting to a new one.  Not all will be happy (I recall thinking Celebrity screwed me when they converted), but the per night system is much more representative of true loyalty.

• 2 weeks later...

DCL knows how many days and in what category of stateroom you've had so they could back and just rerate everyone. Knowing Disney fans there would be a bunch of teeth mashing and saying they'll never cruise DCL again, but after a few hours they'll cool off and will be back on board in no time. 

But I do agree that their system of strictly basing it on the number of cruise is a very poor way of figuring it out, and puts folks that don't live in Florida at a big disadvantage. For one thing the Florida folks are just a short drive from the cruise port so they can more easily take a short 3 day cruise for along weekend, plus they get those Florida resident rates. 

• 10 months later...
On 12/16/2022 at 7:09 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

I think folks who do several 7 days cruises deserve more points than say those who do several 3 day.

It should be about NIGHTs.  It is what RCI does.    Just seems to not make sense and no encouragement to book a longer cruise.

I bet many elderly types who were staying aboard Monarch of the Seas, for 3-4 month stretches' (2009-10) who were racking up points (based on cruises) easily earning Diamond Plus, for endless inside cabins).  During this time, it was a $100 single (per 3/4 night sailing), with a $50 Onboard Booking Bonus (which paid for gratuities). The common belief that this was cheaper than staying at home.  Add to this Comped Drink Parties Nightly, Comped Laundry, Comped Room Service, etc.

The top people got endless Hosted Dinners with the Hotel Director.  They disliked people having this honor, who just booked Royal Suite, as it was THEIR ship!

Edited by gkbiiii