Station Pier - Filling in time?

Now that Grand Princess has delayed Thursday's Boarding in Melbourne by 3 hours - Group A now from 3.30pm, I have a question for those that are familiar with Pier.  Like many others I'm sure, we have an early flight booked to Melbourne that day. Do you think that we will be able to drop luggage early at the Pier?  Is there anything close to fill in time?  Cafes?  Also, do you know if you can purchase a Myki Card (Concession) near the pier? Thanks for any advice.

You can drop luggage early, but not sure how early for a delay like that.

I was just checking for some details, to find the convenience store/cafe beside the tram terminus has permanently closed and will be replaced by a block of units with food outlets on the ground floor - but not for a year at least. That was also where I used to get my Myki topped-up too. There are some cafes in the general area, but not that I have tried.

If you are up for a bit of a walk, take a walk along the waterfront towards St Kilda, and there is bound to be something you will like. Or a tram ride into the city, where you can do whatever you want to fill in the time.

16 minutes ago, arxcards said:

You can drop luggage early, but not sure how early for a delay like that.

I was just checking for some details, to find the convenience store/cafe beside the tram terminus has permanently closed and will be replaced by a block of units with food outlets on the ground floor - but not for a year at least. That was also where I used to get my Myki topped-up too. There are some cafes in the general area, but not that I have tried.

If you are up for a bit of a walk, take a walk along the waterfront towards St Kilda, and there is bound to be something you will like. Or a tram ride into the city, where you can do whatever you want to fill in the time.

Thanks for that advice.  It's a shame that the convenience store/cafe has closed.

The convenience store that was next to the tram stop has indeed been demolished. If you have an android phone, you can load a myki directly onto your phone with Google Wallet. See instructions at https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/mobile-myki/

There is a cafe right near the Pier (Mr Hobsons), or a few more if you walk the 10 minutes to Bay Street. Might find some suggestions here: https://www.portplanner.com.au/port/melbourne-au/explore?tag=Close to the dock&sort=new

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We boarded the Grand Princess on the 4th Nov and the queue went back to the tram stop. We were not allow into the pier to drop luggage off. The boarding sequence did not matter. Unless they have improved, do not count on dropping your luggage off early.

• Thanks 1

Not sure about dropping your luggage - if possible I would try to get a MYKI before your go to Port Melbourne. As others have said the convenience store has gone though there is a MYKI card sale machine at the tram stop (though we heard from others that it only did 7 day cards). If you take the Skybus to Southern Cross, there is a PT Vic office in the main concourse area. Depending on how much luggage you have, you could mooch around the outlet centre to see if there is anything you want to buy (either with your luggage or there are lockers at the station). Then take Tram 109 to the pier when ready.

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1