Two styles of cruising emerging WITHIN Celebrity... traditional vs. high energy YOUNGER crowds.

taras333

1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

While that may have happened to your friend's cabin on your sailing that isn't a fleet wide mandate. We have slept overnight with the IV windows fully open (we prefer the room on the warmer side) and the window remained open in the morning.  

That's good news.  Perhaps it was because our sailing was a TA, I don't know but nice to hear it doesn't happen all the time, it would be a big turn off for us if it did. 

I am a Gen X, Y, Z cruiser with high mileage that qualifies me for Social Security benefits and RMD. I am a "traditional" cruiser, whatever that is. To me it means that I cruise the oceans on a ship - the typical conveyance - rather than on an AAV, an RIB, a wooden raft, or in a bathtub. So you see, we are all traditional cruisers.

Within those traditional cruisers we have conformists and non-conformists, and we all know what they are.  I am accepting of the new Celebrity E-Class ships and enjoy them for what they are intended to do and provide. In a word, I am a conformist. Those of you who will not get onboard with me are non-conformists. I am okay with that. It just means that on S & M Class ships, we will sail away together. On E-Class ships, I will leave you at the dock shouting at me to open the window to my faux balcony. I will leave it closed of course in order to block out the noise.

To conform or not to conform. Happy cruising either way.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

I am a Gen X, Y, Z cruiser with high mileage that qualifies me for Social Security benefits and RMD. I am a "traditional" cruiser, whatever that is. To me it means that I cruise the oceans on a ship - the typical conveyance - rather than on an AAV, an RIB, a wooden raft, or in a bathtub. So you see, we are all traditional cruisers.

Within those traditional cruisers we have conformists and non-conformists, and we all know what they are.  I am accepting of the new Celebrity E-Class ships and enjoy them for what they are intended to do and provide. In a word, I am a conformist. Those of you who will not get onboard with me are non-conformists. I am okay with that. It just means that on S & M Class ships, we will sail away together. On E-Class ships, I will leave you at the dock shouting at me to open the window to my faux balcony. I will leave it closed of course in order to block out the noise.

To conform or not to conform. Happy cruising either way.

The OP apparently wanted to stir the pot and this whole thread is pretty pointless.  The E-Class is a similar experience to S/M-Class...Teenagers won't be "taking over the pool" on the E-Class

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The OP apparently wanted to stir the pot and this whole thread is pretty pointless.  The E-Class is a similar experience to S/M-Class...Teenagers won't be "taking over the pool" on the E-Class

Agree! The OP tends to start controversial threads and disappears. This isn't the first or only occurrence. 

Patty

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tierun said:

On MSC’s newest ship the IV is marketed as an OV cabin. The fatal flaw in the E class design is that the vast majority of cabins have this feature whereas it’s a small portion of cabins on other cruise lines. Both RCL Icon class and MSC World Europa have them as infinite ocean view cabins while still carry mostly traditional balconies.

I would not so much call it a " fatal flaw" as a means of reducing the amount of fuel consumed by the ship. Until around 25 years ago, the vast majority of outside cabins did not have balconies. However, cruise lines discovered that there was a huge demand for balcony cabins so they started building ships with many more of them. This inevitably created more drag on the ships and increased fuel consumption. IV cabins do not produce this drag but having only a small number of IV cabins, as is the case with MSC, does not have a significant effect on fuel consumption. To have a real effect, it is necessary to reduce the number of "real Balconies" back to the way it was on ships built before 1995. That is what Celebrity has done with the E-class trips and it both reduces the cost Celebrity pays for fossil fuel and simultaneously reduces the amount of carbon dioxide that the ships release into the atmosphere. I do not really know how this is affecting sales but there is little doubt that it is good for the planet. Nevertheless, referring to these cabins as balcony cabins may be poor marketing. 

12 hours ago, abbydancer said:

Sky suites are actually what, on other lines, be called a mini suite.  Although X does provide a more suite-like experience than other lines (at least Princess) does.

An E-Class Sky Suite is 299 sq. feet, while a typical Princess mini-suite is 267 sq. feet, so there is some difference in size.  However, the important difference is that sky suites come with all of the perks of The Retreat. Like referring to ocean view cabins with windows that open as "infinite veranda cabins", referring to these cabins as "Sky Suites"  is just marketing. MSC does the same thing; they call all cabins in the Yacht Club suites, even though some of them are tiny, as small as 182 sq. feet. On the other hand, Disney does not call anything a suite unless it has two rooms separated by a solid floor-to-ceiling wall.  Royal Caribbean refers to the new class of Junior Suites with suite perks (only on the Icon of the Seas) as "Sky Junior Suites" and perhaps Celebrity should either use the same terminology or call them "Retreat Junior Suites".

31 minutes ago, actuarian said:

there is little doubt that it is good for the planet.

It isn't like X is yet using LNG, E-Class pax routinely complain about soot when staying in aft staterooms.  While no doubt each and every tiny fuel-reducing incremental or "drop in the bucket" change is indeed good for the planet, nearly all large ships including cargo are notoriously dirty.

Also, none of the E-Class suites offer any kind of IV, they all offer traditional balconies.  Certainly feels like they leave the fuel saving IVs for us peasants

Edited by NutsAboutGolf
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Also, none of the E-Class suites offer any kind of IV, they all offer traditional balconies.  Certainly feels like they leave the fuel saving IVs for us peasants

Like I said, E-Class is heading "back to the way it was on ships built before 1995". Back then, it was typical for only suites to have balconies. I cruised on the three Royal Caribbean Sovereign class ships many times.  On those ships, only rooms classified as Junior Suites or higher had balconies. (Actually, when the first two Sovereign class ships were built, they had no balconies at all, but balconies were added to the suites later.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Thank goodness, it was stated like it’s a fact and therefore fostered misinformation.  This one is an opinion which is fine except when OPs don’t  respond to the opposing viewpoint…lol

I have read all six pages. What/who is the OP's and what is the click bait?

31 minutes ago, Keys Kathy said:

I have read all six pages. What/who is the OP's and what is the click bait?

OP stands for Original Poster. Click bait is: "content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page."

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

OP stands for Original Poster. Click bait is: "content whose main purpose is to attract attention and encourage visitors to click on a link to a particular web page."

Thanks, I will add my 2 cents. We have been on the Edge and Apex. Although I like the public spaces, the cabins have windows, there are no balconies. 

A Balcony is a platform enclosed by a wall or balustrade on the outside of a building, with access from an upper-floor window or door. 

The IV are on the inside of the ship.  If you go out the window, you are in the water.

A veranda is a roofed platform along the outside of a house, level with the ground floor.

So it seems that Oxford does not agree with X. 

The Eden bar is full of energy. We spent a lot of time there. Our next 3 trips are on Millenium Class ships. 1 in a suite, 2 in a veranda.

One of the upsides of the Edge class is all the different dining venues. We loved Eden, the Steak House was so-so and the bistro was very good, not the night show, during the day. Raw on Five was great with a discount.

Edited by Keys Kathy
add things
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1