Internet on Sky Princess in Caribbean?

Pat King

We had a bad experience with no internet with Sky Princess on the Spring TA from London to Lauderdale. We want to book a holiday cruise in the south, but are worried about connectivity, since we both need to stay in touch with work. Does anyone have experience with Sky Princess internet in the Caribbean? Thanks, Pat

9 minutes ago, Pat King said:

We had a bad experience with no internet with Sky Princess on the Spring TA from London to Lauderdale. We want to book a holiday cruise in the south, but are worried about connectivity, since we both need to stay in touch with work. Does anyone have experience with Sky Princess internet in the Caribbean? Thanks, Pat

We disembarked from the Sky 10 days ago, Eastern Caribbean itinerary. The internet service ranged from barely functional to completely unusable. Download speeds were often in the 150Kmps range or worse, vs our usual 500+Mbps here at home. Sea days, of course, were the worst, and the only time it was even tolerable was VERY late at night or very early AM. There are numerous discussions here on CC about Princess's internet issues, it's not pretty.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

We disembarked from the Sky 10 days ago, Eastern Caribbean itinerary. The internet service ranged from barely functional to completely unusable. Download speeds were often in the 150Kmps range or worse, vs our usual 500+Mbps here at home. Sea days, of course, were the worst, and the only time it was even tolerable was VERY late at night or very early AM. There are numerous discussions here on CC about Princess's internet issues, it's not pretty.

Well, that's what we needed to know, but did not want to hear it. Thanks. What a shame. Beautiful ship.

Is that the same on the other Royal Class ships I wonder?

Edited by Pat King
additional question

26 minutes ago, Pat King said:

Well, that's what we needed to know, but did not want to hear it. Thanks. What a shame. Beautiful ship.

Is that the same on the other Royal Class ships I wonder?

We were also on the Enchanted in late September, Canada/New England. Internet service then was every bit as bad as on the Sky two weeks ago.

We were on the Discovery over the week of Thanksgiving.  The ship was above capacity with many children.  It prompted me to ask a similar question in the post partly named

"Internet: Unlimited but Unusable"

I hope that thread is helpful.

The Reader's Digest answer is that the internet was an experience in frustration and unless you have the ability to connect to the internet (and use your phone as a hotspot) in Mexican ports, you will not be able to connect with work.  

Even my gmail would take 4 to 5 minutes to load, but that was no promise that you could then open one of the emails!  If I tried to delete more than 5 ads (Black Friday sale reminders!) at once, it would bog down again.

Bottom line is that IF work is important, then find another way to access the internet (like update your phone's capability to work and connect to the internet in Mexico or where ever else you may be heading)   

4 hours ago, ChutChut said:

Just returned from Sky in Caribbean. Internet ranged from good to slow depending upon the time of day. Middle of night, it was really fast.

That might be why I didn't think the Enchanted was to bad. 

9 hours ago, Pat King said:

By “stay in touch” what do you mean?

if you just need to be able to answer questions via messaging app (slack or otherwise) it’ll work OK…if you need to be able to connect to a VPN to upload/download files..you’re SOL.

11 hours ago, Learningtocruise1 said:

We’re on Sky now in the Caribbean. Internet connectivity is terrible. Don’t count on it for any serious work needs. 

Understood. How about at your ports? If we can access decent internet on the ports of call we can manage.

Thanks for all the replies.

Any updates?

My trip on the Discovery over Thanksgiving week prompted the post question "Internet: Unlimited but Unusable  What is your experience?"

It seems that the only thing 'unlimited about the internet package is the amount of time it takes to check your Gmail.

Has it improved, and what about the ports?  Do you need a special package from your cell phone provider to access the internet in a non US port?