Live, QV to the Canaries.

LadyL1

Hi Lady L, we will be boarding QV on Sunday, and it’s been really helpful reading your comments.  I think we may run into some bouncy weather and would like to check if you can still get the miracle anti sea sickness injections from the medical centre?  No worries if it’s not something you’ve come across though.  Hope you have a safe journey back home from Southampton.

• Like 1

On our outward BoB trip, many succumbed. Talking in the bar the other night to one such unfortunate lady, was told that the little pill from the Purser’s desk is now $12 each. It might be worth you taking a trip to the local pharmacy.

• Like 2

The shore side power is huge for the environment. When I would dust, not as frequently as really required, the black soot would cover horizontal surfaces. Since shore side power there is much less. There is a noticeable change in the air quality.

Edited by techteach
typo

Today Queen Victoria is 15 years old: christened by the now Queen Consort. An exquisite cake that looks like an old log book is the atrium, with special reference to the Prince’s Trust.

The temperature is plummeting but we did manage morning tea on the aft south facing  balcony (with just long sleeves) as so sheltered and the sun smiling on us.

This has been a very good voyage, and without saying the staff exemplary. It is heartening to see more nationalities returning to Cunard. There are Americans and French to name a few, but the vast majority British. We have a large table behind us, whose occupants are our footballing opponents tonight. The Pub has been constantly busy during the World Cup matches: I cannot imagine what time people will be trying to get a seat in. There tonight: it is much warmer than the Wintergarden now.

Last night’s Roaring Twenties, saw some beautiful outfits, and pleased to say not looking like a fancy dress party! In the theatre a Christmas production had its first showing, it was OK, but  think some  more traditional festive songs would have helped. There are high expectations for the “The New Amen Corner” performing tonight in the Queens Room.

Just about finished packing, and we envisage finding a heavily frosted car tomorrow morning in Southampton.

0947E8D8-E263-4F54-B8D7-75F3CB34B77B.jpeg

• Like 5

Great thread.  I was also on the cruise (my first) and enjoyed it very much.  QV more than lived up to expectations and the food (we were in Britannia) and drink were exceptional.  Quick tip that might help with the appalling WiFi connectivity, which one of our party discovered by experimenting. There is a button which can be toggled on or off called “limit IP address tracking” (found within the settings for the specific Cunard WiFi connection itself).  Turn it off and the speed of connection magically improves.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 8:19 AM, LadyL1 said:

We boarded QV, on a very cold and murky day, and really hoping to find some warmth.

A brief enlightenment about the checking in. QG started boarding at 12.40 and the terminal was quite full. The boarding papers just say “priority”, no mention of Grills cabins, so when the first group were called, some just joined. I saw the couple behind us had a time of 14.00 on the papers they were holding. This is something Cunard perhaps need to address: this would not happen on airlines where premium pax have to queue behind others, and would not be accepted.

We were on the ship in October and delighted to be back. The Christmas decorations are looking lovely and I am sure the festive spirit will start to prevail once we sail. The sea is exceedingly calm at present, as we make our way to Vigo.

0974269A-422F-4F53-8292-D18FA4C9AA38.jpeg

Thanks for this posting as we have been thinking of trying this line out for some time now!

• 8 months later...
On 12/8/2022 at 4:47 PM, LadyL1 said:

We arrived in Lisbon around 8.00am this morning, and fortunately the ship did not turn ready for departure so we have had the December sun on the balcony for most of the day. A pleasant surprise after seeing the forecast a few days ago. The waterfront by the cruise port has been improved so much over the past few years and there were constant free shuttles to the top of the city. A few pax just ignored the request for masks: all the places we have visited require masks on public transport. Enjoyed the colours of the city, purchased some excellent white port, walked miles and had a thoroughly good day. 

This afternoon I visited the forward pool for what could be my last swim: it really could have benefited from a few extra degrees of heat. Needless to say I swam alone, and the heavy rain shower was not exactly encouraging others.

Most evenings we have been to the atrium for a while to listen to the “strings” and it is also a good place to people watch. The dress code seems largely adhered to, but there are always a few who buck the trend. I do not like to see T-shirts worn in the evening, but such attire not evident in the theatre. 

In front of us is the AIDAStella: not sure which ship is leaving first this evening, but our back on board time is 6.00pm. I wonder what the Bay of Biscay will hold for us tomorrow?

291582FB-550E-4834-AF5E-F2D991040F8D.jpeg

C5F958AF-3AFA-4B43-8C2D-53B353E7EC30.jpeg

92CD2F65-B6AC-4F3B-B082-CF3EAE34FF22.jpeg

We are on the 2023 Christmas and New Year Victoria cruise to the Canaries.  We have holidayed in Lisbon before, and were thinking of taking the Castries excursion (I cannot cope with much walking for the Castles tours) but if there is a shuttle into Lisbon, it looks like it might be very pleasant just walking around and stopping at cafe's when walking defeats me.