10% bonus on Holland America Gift cards

2 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

What if you are booked through a travel agency?  Can you still use the gift cards toward final payment?

My travel agent has applied around 40 gift cards to cruise fare.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sailingdutchy said:

Where can I see if there also is an extra 10% for us Canadians who would like to purchase a giftcard for upcoming cruises . I have been on the HAL website quite a bit but have not seen it advertised yet .

Can anybody tell me about this ?

Tony :classic_unsure:

I am Canadian and have not had any issue with buying the gift card and getting the 10% bonus cards in this promotion.  I don’t see anything marketed on the website, but the third party website never asked for any details of my residency.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

So with the AARP cards, is there any concern about travel insurance coverage?  Anyone have experience with that?

Unless you are using credit card insurance there shouldn’t be an issue.  Your paid invoice serves as proof of payment.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Djb4CC said:

I am Canadian and have not had any issue with buying the gift card and getting the 10% bonus cards in this promotion.  I don’t see anything marketed on the website, but the third party website never asked for any details of my residency.

@Djb4CC Thanks for your reply much appreciated.  I took the plunge today , received the virtual Gift card for amount requested plus the 10% bonus card . I than printed those off would you suggest to call and apply those right away to my January 2023 cruise for on board charges?  Noticed that Bonus Card expires 12/31/2023 .

Before the 13th I would like to buy some more for our April cruise once my next card cycle starts .

Currency conversion was very reasonable it was better than todays Royal Bank rates on my card.

Tony

Edited by sailingdutchy

@sailingdutchy I have only ever applied the gift cards once on board at guest services (usually 4-5 days in once the lines have disappeared).  There have been others here who have said they have used the gift card to purchase on board credit via the webpage.

I guess either would work, but to my mind, if I ever had to cancel last minute, applying the credit beforehand is just one more thing to undo.

I figure this 10% promotion is good because it is just coving spending I would already be doing.  

Edited by Djb4CC
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, AnnieBelle said:

I see the bonus card will expire 12/2023 but does the main gift card expire then too?

No, only the bonus card expires. That is another advantage of the AARP gift cards, there is no expiration.  

• Like 1

We used the discounted gift cards to pay for 2 upcoming cruises. We will buy another one to pay for a wine package  and/or wifi, pre-board  online. Where the check out is, there is a place to use the gift card. 

My TA did advise that we not discard our digital certificates of the gift cards  until after we return home from the cruise. 

Edited by pmjnh

58 minutes ago, pmjnh said:

My TA did advise that we not discard our digital certificates of the gift cards  until after we return home from the cruise. 

This is true but if you did lose your certificate you can call to have it issued to a new number, if you act quickly

2 hours ago, pmjnh said:

We used the discounted gift cards to pay for 2 upcoming cruises. We will buy another one to pay for a wine package  and/or wifi, pre-board  online. Where the check out is, there is a place to use the gift card. 

Good idea