Might have to cancel....What to do?

flamingo1562

We are scheduled to depart on a B2B March 4th.

Trip is paid for in full. 2 nights in specialty restaurants and 1 shore excursion paid for in full.

Water for room ordered and paid for in full.

My wife has just been diagnosed with a heart condition that is going to require surgery.

We are in the early stages of consults to ascertain what type of surgery will be required, and what we might be looking at for recouping and post surgical therapy time.

Hopefully procedure can take place between now and end of year, whereby allowing time for recovery sufficient enough to allow for safe traveling.

Have not purchased any trip insurance through Carnival but do have a policy through Allianz.

Wondering if the time comes that we do need to cancel where do we start and what is the process?

How is Carnival to deal with regarding canceling?

Any input is greatly appreciated. 

I had to do this once with my mom.  It was fairly easy.  I started with a call to the insurance company, who instructed me what to do.  Next I called Carnival and cancelled.  Three to four weeks later I received a check in the full amount of her fare.  Carnival separately refunded taxes and fees.  

In your case, when you know you have to cancel, I would cancel the specialty dining and shore excursion first.  That will get Carnival processing that refund.  Then call the insurance company for further instructions.  

Hope your wife's surgery goes well and you are able to cruise as planned.  

1 hour ago, flamingo1562 said:

Trip is paid for in full. 2 nights in specialty restaurants and 1 shore excursion paid for in full.

My wife has just been diagnosed with a heart condition that is going to require surgery.

We are in the early stages of consults to ascertain what type of surgery will be required, and what we might be looking at for recouping and post surgical therapy time.

Hopefully procedure can take place between now and end of year, whereby allowing time for recovery sufficient enough to allow for safe traveling.

Have not purchased any trip insurance through Carnival but do have a policy through Allianz.

Wondering if the time comes that we do need to cancel where do we start and what is the process?

You need to consult Allianz.  No one here knows what your policy covers.  

If you go to your Cruise Manager, there is a spot that said what your  penalty is regarding cancellation of your cruise fare.  Restaurants, shore excursion and water would simply be refunded.

• Like 1

I also had to cancel once because of a serious medical condition.  Everything lazydayz mentioned above is correct.  One thing very important is that you need to notify the insurance company right away once you become aware that you can’t make the trip.  My policy was with Allianz also.  It was 10 years ago, but as I recall, I had 3 days to notify them to start the process.  Then they walked me through what needed to be done.  

Had a cruise booked with my parents last March. 10 days before the cruise my dad went on dialysis and a 7 day cruise was no longer possible. My mother and I both reached out to our  Carnival PVP we booked the cruise through. We were told we were SOL and nothing to be done. I called Carnival customer service - just the main line nothing special - and the rep who answered approved the refunds back to original forms of payment. I don't know if I got extremely lucky or they do this regularly. All three of us are platinum. They may have helped? 

I hope your wife recovers quickly and you get this piece figured out without much hassle.

4 minutes ago, ohiokate said:

Had a cruise booked with my parents last March. 10 days before the cruise my dad went on dialysis and a 7 day cruise was no longer possible. My mother and I both reached out to our  Carnival PVP we booked the cruise through. We were told we were SOL and nothing to be done. I called Carnival customer service - just the main line nothing special - and the rep who answered approved the refunds back to original forms of payment. I don't know if I got extremely lucky or they do this regularly. All three of us are platinum. They may have helped? 

I hope your wife recovers quickly and you get this piece figured out without much hassle.

I think you got lucky.  It probably didn’t have anything to do with being platinum, but possibly it was because of covid.  Even though covid wasn’t the issue in your case, Carnival seemed to be more lenient about waiving fees during that time.

On 12/1/2022 at 7:42 PM, ohiokate said:

you mean former PVP right?  and I hope that you Dad is doing better

On 12/1/2022 at 4:42 PM, flamingo1562 said:

Sorry about the health problems; but if you have a travel policy with Allianz, cancellation is one thing you do not have to worry about. You do not need Carnival insurance if you are already covered by another policy that includes cancellation coverage. 

If you have to cancel, notify the insurance company and Carnival as soon as the decision is made. Carnival will refund taxes, fees, and any prepaid purchases. The nonrefundable cruise fare or other expenses will be covered by insurance. You’ll need to file a claim with Allianz and provide the necessary documentation from the doctor.

It may take a while to complete the process, but I expect that you’ll be fully reimbursed.