Mendenhall Glacier on Celebrity

kayehall

I did the tour but not with Celebrity. I'll say that those boats the cruise line uses are packed. I would recommend looking for independent tour operators, usually cheaper and better viewing. 

I am not anti Celebrity tours, I actually do book them but depending on port/destination and in this case you'll be better off going independent imo. 

These are my pics taken with a Very Old Cheap Camera. The bubble feed was very exciting. 

1916267_131840456837401_6994770_n.jpeg

1916267_131840453504068_3823035_n.jpeg

You may sail Stephens Passage as you sail to or from Juneau although most of the whale watch tours from Juneau head to the north end of Shelter Island or the west side of Douglas Island.  Another option for Juneau is Juneau Whale Watch. They have combo tours that take you to Mendenhall after the whale watch. https://www.juneautours.com/book-a-tour/details/32329/mendenhall-glacier-juneau-whale-watching-combo-tour/

We did one with Gastineau tours.  The boat only held 14 people and we had a guide that took us through the forest pointing out different things and showing us how to do different things with our cameras.  It actually was booked through Celebrity but Gastineau was the company they booked.  We did the glacier first and then the whale watch but I think they had other tours that did the other way around.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2022 at 8:43 AM, kayehall said:

Cool Pictures!!!  I am thinking maybe do the "blue bus" in Juneau to Mendenhall and then whale watching in ISP.  Lots of time to plan.  Trip is June 2024

What ship are you sailing?  We’re looking at August 2024 & I’m concerned most cruise/tours use older ships.  I’ve sailed Princess,Celebrity, Royal, & Carnival but hear Holland America does Alaska right.

Can you offer any insight?

thanks 

Do you realize that the X Edge is scheduled to be deployed in Alaska?  If my memory is correct, it is in 2024.  Would never characterize that ship as an older ship with older design.

An Alaska cruise is all about the itinerary.  Just ensure that the itinerary meets your interests.  Don't focus on the age of the cruise ship.

12 hours ago, maggiev said:

What ship are you sailing?  We’re looking at August 2024 & I’m concerned most cruise/tours use older ships.  I’ve sailed Princess,Celebrity, Royal, & Carnival but hear Holland America does Alaska right.

Can you offer any insight?

thanks 

We are on Celebrity Solstice roundtrip from Vancouver.  Have never been on the Solstice or to Alaska.  Hoping I have made a good choice.  Princess and Holland have the reputation of "doing Alaska right".