Travel agent question...

Stockjock

On 12/4/2022 at 7:29 PM, Stockjock said:

Sounds like you are a good customer.  Not surprised that they'd negotiate.

Money talks.

On a 14 day YC cruise now.  We average 7 days a month in top categories, do our own research and just send an email to the TA to book.  So, they rarely have anything more to do for us.  Win win scenario.

• Like 1

This thread is really making me miss the days Cruise Critic has DMs and was of sharing info that still stayed in line with board policies. I found so many good excursions, met so many great people on shared itineraries, and, found an amazing TA all from CC. Now looking for a new TA (my other agency does not book MSC Cruises) - ugh. Just flying blind! That said, if anyone wants to email me for any reason, feel free classynfun at gmail! 😉

• Like 2

Folks, I alluded to this on another thread but I'll offer up a little more here.

Those "super" OBC's you're seeing from your TA's on MSC... they will "return back to normal" for bookings made after 12/31/22. If you're thinking about a 2023 MSC cruise, I would 'really' suggest you book it before 12/31/2022. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Griff4AU said:

Folks, I alluded to this on another thread but I'll offer up a little more here.

Those "super" OBC's you're seeing from your TA's on MSC... they will "return back to normal" for bookings made after 12/31/22. If you're thinking about a 2023 MSC cruise, I would 'really' suggest you book it before 12/31/2022. 

Must have missed your other thread... Is MSC reducing the commissions paid to TAs at the end of this year??

13 minutes ago, Av8tor said:

Must have missed your other thread... Is MSC reducing the commissions paid to TAs at the end of this year??

No there fellow Aviator... Not reducing...   MSC has a Bonus going on right now. That "may"
 be why folks are seeing very generous OBC's, 

42 minutes ago, Griff4AU said:

As originally mentioned, my travel agent offered $100 OBC for a suite (not YC), so that didn't seem like a "super" OBC to me.

I told her that I've dealt with MSC extensively and the $100 OBC wasn't worth shortening her life by a couple of years due to the frustration of dealing with them.

5 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I told her that I've dealt with MSC extensively and the $100 OBC wasn't worth shortening her life by a couple of years due to the frustration of dealing with them.

When is the sailing?  The spiffs I've been alluding to (on a few of the threads we've ben on) are only for '22 and '23 sailings booked through the end of this year.  

If you're in that range, either he/she isn't aware of them or maybe his/her firm isn't sharing the bonus. It is almost impossible for a TA who is booking a cruise (inside the MSC agent portal) not to see what I have been referring to.

You might need a new TA, at least for MSC cruises. Some TA's just don't like MSC - although their (MSC) commission structure is in line with the other cruise lines. 

20 minutes ago, Griff4AU said:

When is the sailing?  The spiffs I've been alluding to (on a few of the threads we've ben on) are only for '22 and '23 sailings booked through the end of this year.  

If you're in that range, either he/she isn't aware of them or maybe his/her firm isn't sharing the bonus. It is almost impossible for a TA who is booking a cruise (inside the MSC agent portal) not to see what I have been referring to.

You might need a new TA, at least for MSC cruises. Some TA's just don't like MSC - although their (MSC) commission structure is in line with the other cruise lines. 

The cruise is late 2023.  Booked about 2-3 weeks ago directly, but apparently it can still be moved to her if I wanted to.  But not worth the bother for $100 OBC, imo.

Some of our messages on the subject...

Her: "I finally got through to MSC.  Thank you so much for your patience. You have 60 days to move a booking over to a client.  I had the form sent over to me.  I can offer 100.00 On bord credit.  MSC is not a line we book much of and we don’t make as much so that is the best I can do.  If you are happy with that, let me know and I will send you the form to transfer."

Me: "I think the $100 isn’t enough to worry about, plus I’ve dealt with MSC for years and wouldn’t wish to reduce your life expectancy due to the aggravation of having to deal with them.  Thank you for checking and getting back to me!"

Her: "Ok.  I have a much better relationship and abilities to share with most other lines. Thanks for inquiring!  Let's try again another time. 😊"

Edited by Stockjock

7 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

The cruise is late 2023.  Booked about 2-3 weeks ago directly, but apparently it can still be moved to her if I wanted to.  But not worth the bother for $100 OBC, imo.

No, and honestly 100obc is a bit of an insult with the promotion MSC is offering to TA's through the end of the year. 

Let me edit my post:

Her "relationship" comment was Cr@p. Commissions are commissions... in your line of work, you get that. Each cruise line has a set commission and nearly every agency has the same per cruise line (or very close).

My guess is she has no relationship with MSC as she doesn't know the current promotion.

And with any TA, YOU have already done the work and booked it. You should get a huge OBC (10%++ of the cruise fare - excl taxes) 

Edited by Griff4AU
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Griff4AU said:

"The spiffs I've been alluding to (on a few of the threads we've ben on) are only for '22 and '23 sailings booked through the end of this year."

Sooo...

If I'm in the market for a '24 cruise, I'm looking at an extra-big plate of nothing?

On 12/2/2022 at 10:01 PM, Av8tor said:

Found this online, FYI

Travel Agent commissions - Cruise Lines
    Q:
What is your base commission percentage?
Is there a maximum commision percentage you pay? 

Carnival Cruise line
10%
16%
     Celebrity Cruises
10%
16%
     Costa Cruise
10%
17% *
      Crystal Cruises
10%
17%
  MSC

10%
17%

Norwegian Cruise line
Our commission structure is tiered, based on revenue productivity.
10%

17%
      Oceania Cruises
10%
17%
      Paul Gaugin Cruises
10%
15%
      Regent Seven Seas Cruises
10%
17%
 Royal Caribbean

10%
16%

Edited by phissy
  • Like 1

In Europe I think it is rare for additional OBC to be offered by Travel Agents - instead they either compete on service or price.   The TA I use is more price focused and gives a 10% discount on all MSC cruises, but they do charge a booking fee and service fees if you want to make changes after booking.

1 hour ago, phissy said:

Found this online, FYI

Travel Agent commissions - Cruise Lines
    Q:
What is your base commission percentage?
Is there a maximum commision percentage you pay? 

Not entirely accurate. But certainly close enough for internet work. Then again, everything on the internet is true.

Those rates also do not include promotions that certain lines offer at certain times. Like what I have alluded to more than once on an MSC booking before the end of the year. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Hearthosesteeldrumsplayin said:

As Stockjock alluded to:  I have had more than one TA indicate that MSC is beyond frustrating to deal with....

Some TA's insist on talking to live people at the cruise lines. Yes, often the TA can find a group to "join in on" offering a better price. Larger TA groups make groups available to all their agents online so there isn't the need to call the cruise line. It's personal preference... but flat out wrong (and a little naïve) to think all the cruise line TA's are experts as they simply aren't.

Many independent TA's simply use the online portal that nearly every cruise line has that is just for registered TA's. I happen to think MSC's TA portal is MUCH better than the Princess / Carnival portal (they use the same TA portal). The RCL/X portal is great.

I strongly suspect that Stockjock had a lazy TA who very likely lied to him... That's  certainly not MSC's fault. I'll be on my very first MSC cruise in a few weeks and I am trying MSC only because of what I have been alluding to. 

Edited by Griff4AU

1 hour ago, Griff4AU said:

Some TA's insist on talking to live people at the cruise lines. Yes, often the TA can find a group to "join in on" offering a better price. Larger TA groups make groups available to all their agents online so there isn't the need to call the cruise line. It's personal preference... but flat out wrong (and a little naïve) to think all the cruise line TA's are experts as they simply aren't.

Many independent TA's simply use the online portal that nearly every cruise line has that is just for registered TA's. I happen to think MSC's TA portal is MUCH better than the Princess / Carnival portal (they use the same TA portal). The RCL/X portal is great.

I strongly suspect that Stockjock had a lazy TA who very likely lied to him... That's  certainly not MSC's fault. I'll be on my very first MSC cruise in a few weeks and I am trying MSC only because of what I have been alluding to. 

This is the first time working with this travel agent, who is a "director" for whatever that's worth.

While she seems very nice, I constantly have to follow up with her, as things she says she's going to do don't seem to get done in a timely manner without a reminder.

The one active booking I have with her would be my first Oceania cruise about 2 years out.  She had the best offer on a "competition" site, and one of the reasons I picked this cruise was the $300 OBC and premium wine tasting offered by my American Express Platinum cruise privileges amenity.  Apparently, any agent who is "qualified" with Amex can add this.  However, 6 months later, I reviewed the invoice and there's not any mention of this.  I asked about it and got the following reply...

"It is on a list to be added but has not been added yet.  Once they get added I will send you an updated invoice.  I'll work on it this week."

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that if I hadn't noticed that these amenities weren't on the invoice, they might not have shown up at all.  And yes, it was something that we discussed at the time of booking.

2 hours ago, FLCruiser97 said:

I'm also wondering why TA names are not allowed. You can find hotels and tour and transfer companies on here so why not TA's.

Because CC is a TA. I am guessing online (or nearly so) only.

We're in their sandbox and need to play by (and respect) their rules. However that "incentive" to book MSC prior to year-end that I have been hinting at is going to be lost (to you, not to them) on the online TAs.

Edited by Griff4AU

14 hours ago, Griff4AU said:

Because CC is a TA. I am guessing online (or nearly so) only.

We're in their sandbox and need to play by (and respect) their rules. However that "incentive" to book MSC prior to year-end that I have been hinting at is going to be lost (to you, not to them) on the online TAs.

OK. I get it now. Don't "step on toes". Makes sense if they are a TA also.

I just wanted to add this.  As mentioned, I had considered transferring my MSC booking (Aurea 1 bedroom suite) to a travel agent to pick up some OBC.  The one I used for the Oceania booking offered $100.  Another offered $200 and said that the amenities I booked "should" transfer over if I moved the booking to them.  I asked what "should" meant.  Here's the reply I received.  Just something to be aware of.

The reason I am saying this is because we can not guarantee that when the booking is transferred to us that the promotions for booking with the cruise line will remain the same. The pricing will remain the same and in most cases the promotions will also remain the same, but we need to advise you in advance since we will not have confirmation of this until the booking is confirmed in our system. Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

I believe MSC is the only major line (they are major, just not in the US) that still uses a paper form requiring a wet signature. I may be wrong. 

I have done LOADS of these (4 just last week from RCL). Never (not one time) has a cruise line not honored the promotions from the time of booking... But then again I am a newbie to MSC.  Your agent should pick up the phone and call. You already did the hard part by selecting and reserving the cruise... they can earn their commission by making a telephone call. 

(from my agency's site ... I have X'd out certain parts)
To transfer a FIT MSC booking:
• Booking must be directly with MSC and not another agency
• Initial deposit must have been paid within the past 60 days and not in final payment
• Download and complete the form with Booking number, Agency Phone .... & CLIA ..... ;  Client must sign the form. 

• Please scan and send via email to .....@msccruisesusa.com

• An email may be sent to your client advising them that their reservation has been transferred to ............ They must approve the transfer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psmarkle said:

I haven't figured out how to DM yet (I'm "vintage"), but the TA we currently use gives 10% back of commissionable fare (not taxes and port fees) as OBC, no questions asked. Our Thanksgiving cruise in the YC, 2 cabins, $650 obc!

Some of us would like DM enabled on CC but, they have disabled this feature.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 8:08 PM, psmarkle said:

I haven't figured out how to DM yet (I'm "vintage"), but the TA we currently use gives 10% back of commissionable fare (not taxes and port fees) as OBC, no questions asked. Our Thanksgiving cruise in the YC, 2 cabins, $650 obc!

Can you give us a hint of who your TA is? 😁

• Like 1