Day after private tour from Piraeus -Advice needed

dcbiker97

We will be spending several days pre cruise doing the normal tourist sites in Athens. In addition, we will have a full day when we get back to do another day of sightseeing.  I want to get outside of Athens and our tour guide has suggested two different itineraries. I would appreciate some advice on which one you would pick.

1. Ancient Corinth, Canal, Mycenae, Nafplion or 

2. Delphi & The Monastery of Osious Lukas 

Edited by dcbiker97

• dcbiker97 changed the title to Day after private tour from Piraeus -Advice needed

Wow, that's a tough choice as both of these are very worthwhile day trips. I've done both from Athens in the past. The trip to Delphi would involve a much longer driving time and thus less time for actual sight-seeing, if that makes a difference. If you do the Delphi trip, be sure that it includes time to visit the little museum there -- it houses some real masterpieces.

Corinth is a great site if you enjoy classical ruins; lots of history there. The canal is usually just an overlook, not an actual boat trip. Mycenae is another stellar site (possibly my favorite of all the places mentioned in your options) -- gorgeous hilltop locations, associations with the Trojan war and the tomb outside the citadel is amazing.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dcbiker97 said:

We will be spending several days pre cruise doing the normal tourist sites in Athens. In addition, we will have a full day when we get back to do another day of sightseeing.  I want to get outside of Athens and our tour guide has suggested two different itineraries. I would appreciate some advice on which one you would pick.

1. Ancient Corinth, Canal, Mycenae, Nafplion or 

2. Delphi & The Monastery of Osious Lukas 

Is the full day the day you disembark then flying out the next day (one night in Greece)? Or is the full day the day after you disembark leaving the third day  (2 nights in Greece)?

If it is the first, I would take the first option (Corinth, etc.) so you also have a relaxing evening in Athens without so much driving.

If it is the second, I would go to Delphi and Meteora with the first night in Kalambaka (by Meteora) and the second night in Athens.

• Like 1

We did two weeks in Greece prior to our cruise last June, and did all (except Osious Lukas) that you've mentioned.  It was wonderful.  A couple of points.

(a) I am not sure how long "several days" is.  If it is less then about 5, then I'd say, just stay in Athens.  there are so many things to see in Athens, that nothing really compares.  It makes little sense to devote limited time to driving around.  Just stay in Athens, see the Acropolis, and all the various museums that Athens has to offer.

(b) I like your first option.  Those things are quite close to Athens, and can be done easily, along with Epidavros and Tiryns, in 2 to 3 days. 

(c) Mycenae is one of the top sites in Greece, but both Epidavros and Tiryns are also very nice sites. 

(d) I'd even prefer Epidavros to the Ancient Corinth.  The Ancient Corinth site is fine, but it is not so different from the dozen sites that you'd see in Athens.  

(e) The Corinth Canal was closed for several years due to a landslide, so you won't see any boat traffic. I am not sure if it will be cleared by the time you go.  Nonetheless, it is a nice site to stop by, because it is on the way to the Peloponese peninsula anyway. 

(f) The several sites in Delphi are wonderful.  Delphi is also one of the best sites to see.  But it is more expensive time wise to get to Delphi than option 1. 

Good luck, and let us know how it was once you get back!

4 hours ago, dcbiker97 said:

We will be spending several days pre cruise doing the normal tourist sites in Athens. In addition, we will have a full day when we get back to do another day of sightseeing.  I want to get outside of Athens ...

To be honest, if you really want to sightsee outside of Athens, then you should do that first, then come back to Athens and see Athens, and continue with sightseeing Athens when you get back from your cruise.  Drive from the ATH airport directly to Nafplion or Delphi.  Things go wrong, and you do not want to get stuck someplace right before your flght back home.  

Thanks everyone.  For a bit of clarification, we will have a day and a half in Athens before the cruise. We are traveling with friends who are departing the day of the cruise so we are doing the basic Athens touring before the cruise. At the end of the cruise, we will have that full day as we depart to go home the next morning.  So far, you’ve given me lots to think about. 

On 12/5/2022 at 5:28 PM, dcbiker97 said:

Thanks everyone.  For a bit of clarification, we will have a day and a half in Athens before the cruise. We are traveling with friends who are departing the day of the cruise so we are doing the basic Athens touring before the cruise. At the end of the cruise, we will have that full day as we depart to go home the next morning.  So far, you’ve given me lots to think about. 

Thanks for the clarification.  

You are going to see very little in the day and a half.  You really need at least a week to see Athens before it makes sense for you to spend the time to venture to other places.  Visiting some of the different museums neighborhoods, archeological sites, etc.  will take all 2 1/2 days.

On 12/11/2022 at 5:56 PM, pdmlynek said:

Thanks for the clarification.  

You are going to see very little in the day and a half.  You really need at least a week to see Athens before it makes sense for you to spend the time to venture to other places.  Visiting some of the different museums neighborhoods, archeological sites, etc.  will take all 2 1/2 days.

After thinking more we have moved our arrival and will be doing this pre cruise then have a relaxing day in the return to Athens. 
We are using PK travel for all of our transfers and tours. They’ve been mentioned here before and get good reviews but we have not actual experience with them yet other than that they are very good at getting back to you. 

• Like 1