Annual, multi-trip insurance. Does anyone have it?

Birdnutty

Has anyone ever tried this?  Now that we're a bit older, and we'd like to travel more, we need to buy insurance more often, which is obviously more expensive because we're older and we're taking more trips (duh!🙄). I read somewhere here on cruise critic about folks who have bought this insurance which covers what I believe is all the  trips for the year, instead of individual policies which cover one trip only.

How does it work?  Does it work well?  Are there gotchas I should know about?  How do you do comparisons among companies?

1 minute ago, Birdnutty said:

Has anyone ever tried this?  Now that we're a bit older, and we'd like to travel more, we need to buy insurance more often, which is obviously more expensive because we're older and we're taking more trips (duh!🙄). I read somewhere here on cruise critic about folks who have bought this insurance which covers what I believe is all the  trips for the year, instead of individual policies which cover one trip only.

How does it work?  Does it work well?  Are there gotchas I should know about?  How do you do comparisons among companies?

Recommend you ask/research on the Cruise/Travel Insurance forum.  Link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/499-cruisetravel-insurance/

@Birdnutty Yes. I just renewed for next year already. I have mine with Allianz and it has worked really well for myself and my husband. Delays in New York required an overnight stay, we stayed at the TWA hotel on site and we had the room and dinner covered by insurance. That right there covered the annual cost.

7 minutes ago, stefmaia said:

@Birdnutty Yes. I just renewed for next year already. I have mine with Allianz and it has worked really well for myself and my husband. Delays in New York required an overnight stay, we stayed at the TWA hotel on site and we had the room and dinner covered by insurance. That right there covered the annual cost.

Good to know.  I will check out the insurance forum (which I didn't know existed).  Did you have to notify them every time you went away?

We bought an annual policy for the first time this year but have not used it so don't know how good it truly is.  When you start looking at policies pay attention to what benefits are per trip and what benefits are per year.  For example, many of the plans have a fairly small cancellation limit that is a yearly benefit (once you use it on a trip, it is gone for the rest of the year) whereas medical and evacuation coverage may be a per trip limit.

I think an annual plan is a great idea for someone mostly concerned about the medical and evacuation coverage.  If cancellation coverage is very important to you, than an annual plan probably doesn't provide enough coverage.

• Like 2

Just now, Birdnutty said:

Good to know.  I will check out the insurance forum (which I didn't know existed).  Did you have to notify them every time you went away?

No notification needed. Just keep copies of all tickets and itineries and if you need to claim, any re issued tickets and receipts, photos of all texts and emails related to the incident. Really easy to claim through their app, we input info as it was happening then submit when we got home. Had the money back in 4 weeks.

We have always carried an annual policy w Allianz.  When I had to cancel a trip at the last moment because of a cancer diagnose they treated me very well.  We have started traveling again after Covid and we just reupped on Allianz.  The only problems with an annual policy are that you need to pay more than the initial quote for higher cancellation coverage and the cost increases as you get older.  On my most recent reup I bought it earlier than I really needed it because I turned 81 on August and if I had waited until when a time closer to my departure the cost would have higher.

DON