Fjords in June

hobgoblin

Going on Celebrity cruise to Fjords June 2023

Anyone been on this trip and what was weather like end of June?

Any comments on day trips appreciated and where you can walk to from ship .

Itinerary goes to Bergen,Alesund,Olden ,Stavanger 

I do prefer Norwegian fjord cruises I June. Descent weather - might be rain or cold days - probably not very different from weather in Scotland  - can also be cold when cruising the fjord early morning or late evening.

Olden is located in a deep fjord - tiny city. Suggest excursion to Loen Skylift it Briksdal Glacier.

Bergen, Ålesund and Stavanger are Coastal cities. You can easily explorer Bergen and Ålesund on your own. in Stavanger possible excursion to Lysefjord and Pulpit Rock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did a fjords cruise at the end of June one year. Weather was mixed. Think west coast of Scotland in the summer. One day lovely sunshine in the low 20s (shorts weather for us), next day mist down and drizzle, next day in Bergen heavy rain. You just never know. You might be lucky and get a week of glorious weather. I would always have a waterproof  jacket to hand.

We hiked  in every port. If that’s your thing, I can suggest routes. Alesund has the most gorgeous coastal setting and was probably our favourite place. Lots to see and do in Bergen too. We climbed Pulpit Rock but lots of people did the Lysefjord trip and saw it from the bottom.      

• Thanks 2

@bermuda_fmFor a lovely hike you can hike up Sukkertoppen. We got the bus

( number 618 I think but it was in 2016 so I would check this) . The bus takes you to Hessa Island and once you pass the school on your left , get off at the next stop. The start of the hike is on the right hand side. It’s around 45 mins - 1 hour easy walk uphill on a trail to get some amazing views of Alesund and surrounding islands. There was lots of locals on the hike but no other tourists. Totally worth doing. 

We did this in the morning and then did the  steps up to the viewpoint in Alesund in the afternoon.  It also left us time to look around the town. I will add we had great luck with the weather that day and you could see for miles. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bermuda_fm said:

I am stopping in Alesund June 24th can I do on my own?  Like to hike

Those more familiar with Ålesund can chime in and provide better answers, but I believe you could fairly easily explore the area on your own. Although of course you may need to get some sort of transportation if you want to go on a hike further away from the town.

Also worth a note that Norwegians celebrate Midsummer Day on June 24th, so that may have affect what services are available that day.

• Thanks 2

We have been twice in June out of Southampton. The weather is mixed and i don't think there is a perfect time. Stops can be fairly limiting as the Norwegians have never wished to expand their tourist industry. However the fjords are head and shoulders above the Rockies and Milford Sound

Don't visit the Briksdal Glacier. After a long and exhausting walk we saw it across the valley and there was hardly anything to see.