I've got my binoculars...but what am I looking for...

crusinhokie

I'm sailing the inside passage this summer (RCI) and am all prepared with binoculars, a good camera with distance lens, and a baloncy cabin but I realize that I'm not really sure what I will see or should be looking for. I guess in my mind it is going to be amazing glaciers; lots of ice and snow. But realistically, what is there to see on the cruising days? Are there certain things I should be looking for?

There will be abundant marine wildlife all along the inside passage and the Alaska panhandle, but you'll need to be outside, vigilant and patient to see the best of it. A summary:

Harbour seals are plentiful all along the route, as are bottlenose dolphins. They will pop up almost anywhere along the route.

In the area of Robson Bight, east coast of Vancouver Island north of Campbell River, there are several large pods of Orcas (killer whales). The odds of spotting them are quite good if you pass by in daylight.

Humpback whales can be seen further north in Icy Strait and in the approach to Ketchikan.

Bald eagles are quite common along the whole route, especially from Prince Rupert northward. Look for them sitting on the very tops of trees, especially on dead limbs that have no foliage. They like high perches with a clear view. They will also be seen feeding on the exposed beaches and mud flats at low tide. There are quite a few in Juneau near the pier.

Further north in College Fjord there are many sea otters.

Common birds include cormorants and blue herons. The herons tend to hang out along the shoreline, usually on the ground or flying low. The cormorants go further out to sea, often seen standing on logs, rocky islets, etc.

We have occasionally seen black and grizzly bears wandering along the shoreline.

Depending on the time of year, you may spot Stellar sea lions or California sea lions. The best place the see the sea lions and the seals is on rocky islets that poke out of the water at low tide. Note that you won't see sea lions and seals together - one or the other. The don't seem to mix.

Then there is the usual assortment of the common stuff: sea gulls, several species of ducks, loons, grebes, etc.

Hope that helps.

I'm sailing the inside passage this summer (RCI) and am all prepared with binoculars, a good camera with distance lens, and a baloncy cabin but I realize that I'm not really sure what I will see or should be looking for. I guess in my mind it is going to be amazing glaciers; lots of ice and snow. But realistically, what is there to see on the cruising days? Are there certain things I should be looking for?

The balconies are great and a good place to watch the scenery as you pass. For wildlife observation I think it best to be as far forward on the ship as possible and look forward and to the sides. I am not certain if the Mariner has a naturalist onboard or not. If they have one contact him ASAP after boarding and let him/her know your interests. They can tell you of the most prevalent spots to see the wildlife.

Gray whales and Minke whales and Orca are possible any where in the San Juan Island area any time after you depart. There are 3 resident pods of Orca (J, K, and L) that live in this area and Dalls Porpoise could be encountered any where along your cruise route. About 1 ½ hours to 4 hours north of Vancouver Island is a good area to encounter Pacific Whiteside Dolphin, I have never seen Bottlenose Dolphin on the inside passage.

Humpback Whales can be found primarily a couple hours north of Ketchikan and along the route to Seward. After leaving Southeast Alaska and entering the Gulf of Alaska, Fin Whales and Sperm Whales are possible. Beluga whales are possible in the Seward –Anchorage area.

A wide variety of sea and shore birds are available all along the trip but you will need to watch closely. You will probably need a good book or a naturalist to help in identifying the different species. Eagles are available throughout your cruise.

Capt. Larry

orca@alaska.com

Thanks everyone! This is exactly what I was wondering!

When the eagles are perched on the trees, they really blend in so you can hardly see them except for their white head.

And as we learned on our first cruise to Alaska, the easiest way to spot eagles is to look for "golf balls" in the trees. Once you spot this little white circle, you'll see an American Bald Eagle.

The bottom line to all these replies, is to be out on deck, front, a must for marine wildlife and knowing the area you are in. This is where a ship naturalist is a must. :)

For clairfication, it will be all GREEN, on your sailing, not snow. Except for your glacier sailing.

The sharpness and resolution on those reindeer pics is incredible.

What type of equipment are you using? And did you Photoshop them to enhance sharpness before you posted?

Thanks.

Thank-you for your kind comments.

I used a Cannon PowerShot 50, 5 megapixel digital camera, set on maximum pixels and "superfine." I did not make any modifications to the shots after I got them home, other than a little cropping. It was a beautiful day, lots of sunshine, and that probably contributed to the quality of the shots more than anything I did. All the technology in the world can't beat Mother Natures Sunshine. :)

Archived