GSC Cabanas...which is better for elderly and children

WeehawkenCruiser

Hi! We will be at GSC on the Gem in January and while I have been there quite a few times we never booked a Cabana. 

Since we will have 3 children (1 infant) as well as an elderly person in our party with some mobility issues we wanted to book a Cabana to make the day easier for all. Does anyone have any experience with the regular vs large vs Silver Cove? Looking for a location that is convenient to everything and has the least walking. 

Thanks! 

9 hours ago, WeehawkenCruiser said:

Hi! We will be at GSC on the Gem in January and while I have been there quite a few times we never booked a Cabana. 

Since we will have 3 children (1 infant) as well as an elderly person in our party with some mobility issues we wanted to book a Cabana to make the day easier for all. Does anyone have any experience with the regular vs large vs Silver Cove? Looking for a location that is convenient to everything and has the least walking. 

Thanks! 

If I remember right, you walk past the regular to get to the large. But there were stairs to get to the regular, the large didn’t have stairs. And they had some sort of ride (I can’t remember what it was) for those who couldn’t walk far. 

This was in 2017…so things may have changed and/or I may not be remembering correctly. 

The Silver Cove Villa's are you best best.    They will shuttle you to and from and there is only 1 step down to the beach.  

The normal Villa at the Cove will have a full size bathroom as well living area with nice large couch, table and chairs as well loungers on the deck.     I believe they you can do 6 people total in the normal.   The larger 1 bedroom or 2 bedrooms are huge and just add larger decks and bedroom(s).

Do the Silver Cove ones. The only time we were at GSC we did a regular cabana and we were not impressed with the whole experience. The walk to the cabana was long and difficult for my husband, who is color blind and has zero depth perception when walking in sand. The ground was uneven and since they shuttle you to the Cove, that is a much, much better option.

We did not have any stairs to our regular cabana and we were close to the bathrooms, which was nice. But the beach in that area was a walk down a hill and the beach was very rocky and it was not easy to get in and out of the water there.

The next time we are on an itinerary that stops at GSC, we will likely not get off the ship. The tendering process was a nightmare (people were waiting 45+ minutes in the hot sun before the tenders left to go back to the ship) and the whole experience was just not worth it to us. We'd much rather enjoy a nearly empty ship.

I agree with Silver Cove being the best choice. I'm not sure if the standard Cabana has A/C, I do know the Silver Cove Ocean Villas do, and with an infant, and elderly, it would come in handy to have a place to cool off. Our experience was that it was less crowded, and a lot quieter.