"Pre existing conditions" question regarding all general policies...

My husband and I are in our late 60's, are on medicare and secondary insurances.  We are going to take a 1 week Alaska cruise-- I always purchase Medjet for evacuation- Before we started with medicare, our insurances covered us outside of the US, and we paid a lot for the pre existing waiver on the standard big name travel insurance---  The last few years, whenever we have take a cruise, the costs became prohibitive for outside insurance, so we just took the ships "platinum" upgraded plan plus our Medjet.   At this point of our lives, we are on all the same "stuff" that most of our friends have regarding prescriptions- the usual, statins, blood pressure meds, etc.  What I am trying to figure out:  Should we make sure our regular 6 month appointments with cardiologists, endocrinologists, etc, are no later that 2 months before the trip, in case there is a change in medications?  

Also, at the risk of sounding dumb, which I may be, but I digress,  does medicare consider an Alaska cruise as, outside of the US ( only because of the 3 hour stop in Victoria, Canada) and yes, I do know that Alaska is part of the US, LOL.   Thanks in advance for responses.

I wouldn't even get an additional policy for an Alaska cruise. Alaska has great hospitals throughout the State and yes, even in the communities that you are sailing to. If you had to be evacuated from the ship, The US Coast Guard is free.

Yes, Medicare works in Alaska.

Edited by klfrodo

6 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

My husband and I are in our late 60's, are on medicare and secondary insurances.  We are going to take a 1 week Alaska cruise-- I always purchase Medjet for evacuation- Before we started with medicare, our insurances covered us outside of the US, and we paid a lot for the pre existing waiver on the standard big name travel insurance---  The last few years, whenever we have take a cruise, the costs became prohibitive for outside insurance, so we just took the ships "platinum" upgraded plan plus our Medjet.   At this point of our lives, we are on all the same "stuff" that most of our friends have regarding prescriptions- the usual, statins, blood pressure meds, etc.  What I am trying to figure out:  Should we make sure our regular 6 month appointments with cardiologists, endocrinologists, etc, are no later that 2 months before the trip, in case there is a change in medications?  

Also, at the risk of sounding dumb, which I may be, but I digress,  does medicare consider an Alaska cruise as, outside of the US ( only because of the 3 hour stop in Victoria, Canada) and yes, I do know that Alaska is part of the US, LOL.   Thanks in advance for responses.

Hi Jetswdo,

> What I am trying to figure out:  Should we make sure our regular 6 month appointments with cardiologists, endocrinologists, etc, are no later that 2 months before the trip, in case there is a change in medications?

You are referring to the Pre-Existing Medical Condition Lookback Period which is a period of time, usually the 60, 90, 180 days prior to the travel insurance policy’s coverage purchase date, that defines a Pre-Existing Medical Condition.

This page explains the Pre-Existing Medical Condition Lookback Period:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/travel-insurance-pre-existing-medical-condition-lookback-period/

If you already bought a Trip Cancellation plan, no medical condition that is completely new and unexpected that happens to you as soon as the day after you buy the policy will be defined as a Pre-Existing Medical condition.

You may learn more about the Pre-Existing Medical Conditions coverage here:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/how-travel-insurance-pre-existing-medical-conditions-coverage-works/

> Also, at the risk of sounding dumb, which I may be, but I digress,  does medicare consider an Alaska cruise as, outside of the US ( only because of the 3 hour stop in Victoria, Canada) and yes, I do know that Alaska is part of the US, LOL

It's not a dumb question. Here's how you find out about Medicare's coverage outside the USA:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/medicare-does-not-cover-you-outside-the-usa/

Steve Dasseos