Is there Covid on Grand Princess

3 hours ago, JohnnyG7 said:

Due to embark on the Grand Princess in Melbourne on Wednesday 14 November 2022. Does anyone on board have any information as to the status of Covid (if any) on the Grand?

Assume you mean 14 December. We're currently on board. No mention of Covid but you'd have to expect some on every ship. Haven't noticed more coughing than normal. We are on a deck (Deck 6) that has very few cabins/suites so haven't noticed any Covid tables outside doors.

Do notice however the inconsiderate people who refuse to wear a mask properly. They continue to stress that we should wear a quality tight fitting Kn95 mask and they provide these to every cabin every few days with unlimited supply at service desk or cabin steward, and most people compliant.  

Yesterday on free transfer buses in port, too many not wearing or wearing around chin. Not sure if not real intelligent or just resist being told what to do.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your upcoming cruise.

• Like 1

1. There will be very little Covid onboard when you embark as most, if not all, passengers from the previous cruise will have disembarked taking most, if not all, Covid cases off the ship. 

2. New passengers will bring Covid onboard - unwittingly in most cases but possibly deliberate (faking their pre-cruise RAT) in some cases. 

3. If everyone wears masks properly and reports to the medical centre at the slightest onset of any symptoms then Covid will not spread. However pigs will have to fly for this to happen! 

4. Be sensible, wear a good quality mask when moving around the ship and in theatres, wash your hands regularly and use sanitizer when needed, and have a great cruise.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

They continue to stress that we should wear a quality tight fitting Kn95 mask and they provide these to every cabin every few days with unlimited supply at service desk or cabin steward, and most people compliant.  

Thanks for that!  I thought I'd need to order a big batch of them for our 19 night cruise.

7 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

1. There will be very little Covid onboard when you embark as most, if not all, passengers from the previous cruise will have disembarked taking most, if not all, Covid cases off the ship. 

Grand's next few cruises start to have a blend of Melbourne to Adelaide (Return), Adelaide to NZ and Melbourne to NZ, which will allow for a fair bit of retention on the ship.

Thanks for all the info. We plan to wear masks when out of our cabin and regularly wash hands and use sanitizer.  Hope all passengers are sensible when it comes to wearing masks and social distancing. Looking forward to our first cruise since Covid hit in 2020. Done this one before and loved it.

Also gloves and masks on our flight to Melbourne and on the  Princess bus to the dock.

12 hours ago, RobinBancs said:

Grand's next few cruises start to have a blend of Melbourne to Adelaide (Return), Adelaide to NZ and Melbourne to NZ, which will allow for a fair bit of retention on the ship.

Yes, there will be overlap so Covid might stay onboard. 

Also I just discovered what the R0 factor is for the latest variants of Omicron. No wonder it spreads like wildfire onboard, especially with so many idiots onboard not wearing masks properly.

Screenshot_20221210-084736_Samsung Internet.jpg

37 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Also I just discovered what the R0 factor is for the latest variants of Omicron. No wonder it spreads like wildfire onboard, especially with so many idiots onboard not wearing masks properly.

That's a huge R0 number!  All the more reasons to start licking door handles at work this week, so I can get it and be clear by January 🙂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

So basically masks have little chance of stopping the spread.

1 hour ago, bretts173 said:

So basically masks have little chance of stopping the spread.

If masks are worn by everyone the spread would be significantly reduced. Masks are most effective at reducing aerosol transmission from an infected person, and people are usually infections for around two days before developing symptoms. But since far too many people either don't wear properly fitting masks, or wear them incorrectly (noses poking out, big gaps at the sides etc) then Covid spreads far too easily.

• Like 5

I feel well fitting masks (#95 type) will definitely curb spread.  When well fitting, you'll observe your mask goes in and out with every breath. The blue/white so called surgical masks are much less effective, and fabric ones even less so. And we won't even discuss the guests that wear theirs below their nose or mouth. Some self-centred people simply don't like to be told what to do, and resist authority at every turn.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tripmode33 said:

I feel well fitting masks (#95 type) will definitely curb spread.  When well fitting, you'll observe your mask goes in and out with every breath. The blue/white so called surgical masks are much less effective, and fabric ones even less so. And we won't even discuss the guests that wear theirs below their nose or mouth. Some self-centred people simply don't like to be told what to do, and resist authority at every turn.

Princess is fairing no better than royal as an example in regards to covid cases, maybe no worse either. Princess has compulsory mask mandates and Royal doesn't have any, do masks make your more complacent maybe or just don't really do that much with the current variant so easily spread.

1 hour ago, bretts173 said:

Princess is fairing no better than royal as an example in regards to covid cases, maybe no worse either. Princess has compulsory mask mandates and Royal doesn't have any, do masks make your more complacent maybe or just don't really do that much with the current variant so easily spread.

The weaknesses are the dining areas where masks aren't worn while seated. 

Masks are less effective in stopping you from getting infected than they are from stopping an infected person from spreading it. 

We were very careful on all our Coral cruises but did take a slight risk in removing our masks in a couple of the bars where the seating was well spread out. Unfortunately we had a couple of instances where people not wearing masks stood close to us while talking to their friends nearby and that's how I think I caught Covid. Luckily it was very mild and Princess looked after us very well.