Tours from Santorini Old Port Skala?

Stockjock

We'll be visiting Santorini in the summer, arriving at the Old Port by tender.  Private tours seem much less expensive versus the cruise line tours, but they seem to pick up at various hotels rather than at the port itself.

Does anyone know of non-cruise line tours that depart from the Old Port.  Or conversely, are there hotels (aka pickup points) that are a very short walk from the Skala Old Port?  Thanks in advance!

Thank you.  I did review that thread, but didn't quite see what I was after, unless I missed something.

From what I can gather, that Old Port of Skala doesn't seem to connect with anything.  But one thing that was helpful is that apparently buses could not pick up from that port, as I understand it.

Perhaps I'll just spend the money and do the cruise line's tour so I don't have to monkey with all of this.

The only tours from that old port are water-based.  You can usually catch a boat over to Oia (the deal includes tickets for a return bus to Fira) and there are sometimes boat tours around the island.  That old port is primarily used as the gateway to Fira and it is where you can either get the donkey ride up the hill or take the cable car (both take you to Fira.

If you arrange some land tours you will likely meet your tour/guide in Fira (you would need to use the cable car or donkeys to get up to town unless you want to make the long uphill walk.  There is no land/road access to Skala, hence tour cars/buses cannot meet anyone at that tender port.  The only road/path from that port is the windy path used by donkeys.

Hank

51 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The only tours from that old port are water-based.  You can usually catch a boat over to Oia (the deal includes tickets for a return bus to Fira) and there are sometimes boat tours around the island.  That old port is primarily used as the gateway to Fira and it is where you can either get the donkey ride up the hill or take the cable car (both take you to Fira.

If you arrange some land tours you will likely meet your tour/guide in Fira (you would need to use the cable car or donkeys to get up to town unless you want to make the long uphill walk.  There is no land/road access to Skala, hence tour cars/buses cannot meet anyone at that tender port.  The only road/path from that port is the windy path used by donkeys.

Hank

I think I solved the problem.  Just booked Celebrity's Best of Santorini tour.  Was a lot more expensive than other tours, but might be worth it not to have to worry about the wait for a tram, getting a water taxi, figuring out where to meet other tour companies, etc.  More than I wanted to spend, but so be it.

On 12/11/2022 at 3:14 AM, Stockjock said:

I think I solved the problem.  Just booked Celebrity's Best of Santorini tour.  Was a lot more expensive than other tours, but might be worth it not to have to worry about the wait for a tram, getting a water taxi, figuring out where to meet other tour companies, etc.  More than I wanted to spend, but so be it.

................. and, unless things have changed,  whereas other cruise lines return their excursioners to the top cablecar station in Fira and leave them to join the often-long line or the cablecar or walk down the zig-zag path to that tender pier, the season before Covid Celebrity started returning their excursioners to the ship from the same ferry harbour at Athinios where they and other cruise lines tender them at the start of their excursions. 

So a pleasant & peaceful return from bus to tender 🙂

JB 🙂

• Like 2