Kids Camp on NCL - worth it?

YogiMia

Going on first cruise ever on the Jewel in April with kids ages 6 and 8.

Now, I am getting worried about kids activities on ship. Before booking, I was trying to choose between RCCL and NCL, and a prime concern was the Kids Camp. My TA basically told me most of the "kids camps" were the same. Unfortunately, I did not find this website and message boards until after I booked w/NCL. The more I find out about NCL's Kids Camp, the more worried I get.

1) I assumed the kids would get some swim time while at camp, but I was told by NCL that the kids never go to the pool while at camp.

2) From reading these boards, and I may be wrong, but I get the impression the kids are inside the entire time when in the Kids Camp. In the beautiful Caribbean Sea, that seems like a such a shame.

3)When in port, kids camp isn't in session, only "group babysitting." While I wanted the kids to share some excursions with me and DH, I was hoping for some alone time on the islands as well. The group-sitting may not necessarily have "organized" activities for the kids, as I understand it. Reading the boards, it sounds like the kids on RCCL have camp even on port days and some kids liked the camp so much, they preferred it to going off-ship.

Also, aside from the camps, I asked a NCL rep. if the pools have lifeguards. She told me that they do not. While I will certainly be with the kids while they swim, almost every other pool, outside residential ones, that I have been to has had a lifeguard even if the rules required parental supervision of kids. Is NCL unusual or is this typical of cruise ships? If I had to use the restrooms while the kids are swimming, I guess I have to have the kids come with me???

Am I worrying about this too much? I want my kids to have as wonderful an experience as I expect to have, but these issues have me concerned. Also, hoped that Kids Camp would give DH and I some desperately-needed time to relax as a couple. If the kids aren't happy with the camp, we probably won't be able to do that.

Should I be so concerned or am I blowing this up out of proportion?

(Remember, this is first time ever on a cruise!)

I just returned from the Jewel yesterday and let me tell you your kids are going to love it. My kids gave us the "Oh great your here already" look each and every time we picked them up. It is true that they cannot going swimming with the team members but they have a blast. They go on adventures, to shows and activites. They can go from 9:00am -12:00pm then we would get them lunch and go swimming for a couple hours then they would count down the minutes until they could return at 2:00. They then have to be picked up for dinner at 5:00. What we discovered was that they really didn't want a big fancy dinner as much as we would have like them to so mid week we gave up on the formal dinners with the kids. We took them to the garden cafe ( which has a pasta bar where they make you any kind of pasta dish while you wait and with my 6 year old it was with butter most nights.) They also have chicken nuggets, ice cream bar, homemade mac and cheese, hot dogs hamburgers etc along with a carving bar and veggies every lunch and dinner. We would bring the kids back to the kids club from 7:00 until 10:00 and go have a nice sit down dinner together or go watch a show together. I have never met such a great group of people. It didn't matter what time we peeked in on them ( and we did) they were engaging the kids and usually rolling around on the floor with them doing something cool and fun. We did use the daycare the third land day because they didn't want to go to shore. They were the only kids there and the team member let them pick the activities (within reason) they were upset when we got there to pick them up. For the record the team members are not included when it comes to the automatic tipping structure so we tipped them at the end of the trip. I will be writing more about the trip tomorrow. Let me know if you have any questions

Thank you soooooo much for your post. I am so relieved to hear your kids had a great time My kids are also not much for fancy dinners, so I was thinking of doing the same thing you did and feed them before DH and I go to dinner. I can't tell you how much better I feel now. Looking forward to hearing further about your cruise. BTW -- how old are your kids?

Mia,

the kids range from 6-18

Once you get into your room if you make your reservations ( by phone way easier took ten minutes to do the whole week) you will have no problem getting into anyone. We found that if you make them at 7:00 one parent can go get in for the 7:00 reservation and then other can get the kids into the program at 7:00 when they open the doors. This way you will make the shows at 8:30 ( like dating game, newley wed game stuff like that)

*** If you 6 year old does not swim on their own bring water wings both pools are over 5'.

Yogi:

First--your kids will have a great time! Don't worry. I also have a 6-year old. We haven't cruised on NCL yet (first NCL cruise is the Star in April), but we have cruised Royal Caribbean and Princess with him.

None of the cruiselines take the kids swimming during kids camp (imagine the problems--my 6-year old is a fish and a great swimmer, while my nephew, also 6, can't swim at all--the counselors can't deal with kids of such varying abilities in the pool). None of the cruiselines have lifeguards--if you have to go to the bathroom and your husband isn't around, ask another parent to keep an eye on them for a minute. The kids are generally kept inside during kids club time on all cruiselines, with the exception of special activities such as dinners with the counselors (note: as the kids get older, they do more stuff outside, like scavenger hunts that take them all over the ship). We never used the RCCL kids camp when in port, but I have no recollection of there being a kids camp when in port--it was group babysitting only. I think all the cruiselines have group babysitting for a fee when in port, including RCCL.

With all of that said, I always have to pry my son out of the kids club--he has a blast!!! He makes friends quickly and then plays with those kids in the pool during the breaks. Kids camp on all lines (at least the ones we have been on) run 9-12, 2-5, and 7-10. We use the 12-2 break to swim and the 5-7 break to have dinner. We do the same as Cindi--we feed him in the buffet and then at 7, we go and have our relaxed sit-down meal. At least on RCCL, they also "hype" the "late night party" which starts at 10 pm and costs $5 per hour. I assume they have the same thing on NCL. We only did that one night at my son's insistence (he didn't want to miss all the fun), but he was so tired and irritable the next day, we didn't do it again. But, live and learn. Maybe for the older kids it would be ok--my son needs 8-10 hours of sleep to be human.

No matter the cruiseline, your kids will have fun. And, they will be begging you to take them on a cruise again. It is my son's preferred vacation, by far. We are planning a ski vacation in Park City over the Christmas break and my son is complaining that it isn't a cruise and there won't be a pool!

Mia,

There is a late night at NCL also but we didn't take advantage of it. Our kids were wiped by 10:00 as I am sure yours will be. We had a hard time getting up not cranky going to bed at 10:30 at night. They have a play area like Chuck-E-cheese and they even had events to learn how not to polute the waters. It was so cute. They had one adult with a blind fold on and they set up a small obsticle course that the children one by one tried to get through without making any noise. The children were so intent on getting through this maze of sorts and were learning about the environment while having a blast. The shore days it is $5.00 an hour or $8.00 for both kids. We did it one day for 4 hours. The total cost was $24. plus I tipped Jedi ( who by the way your kids will love....funny guy) It was nice going into town without the little ones for a few hours. To them every port looks the same. Once they got their hair braided they had no interest in being off the boat again.

I have to agree with everyone. Last year we went on the dawn with our ds who was 5 and dd who was 9. They loved the kids club.We did the same thing with meals. Fed them before ,made 7:00 dinner reservations and dh and I enjoyed many wonderfull meals Also saw all the shows The kids never wanted to be picked up at 10:00. Ds would fall asleep there and dd was up playing or watching videos.WE would pick them up and go over to the blue lagoon and have a midnight snack together.We are going again in April and the kids can not wait. You and your kids will Love it.

I have clients who did RCI, NCL and then Disney with their kids, ages 8,13 and 17. all three preferred the kids activities on NCL. Hope this helps some. As for pool time, I would imagine it isn't offered because all the councilors would have to be certified life guards to be responsible for the little ones around the water. If the kids want swim time they will be happy with mom and dad. NMNita

I haven't sailed with NCL before, but every other cruiseline there is NOT a kid's camp on the first night. They use that time for tours and signing the kids up. It always starts at 9 am the next day, which has always been a day-at-sea for us (might not start at that time if you are in port the second day). After I wrote this, I realized that I had the Star dailies for the kid's camp and I pulled it up. At least for the 6-9 year olds (I didn't check them all), they run it 8-10 the first night. Not sure if this is on all NCL ships or each one is different. For more information see:

http://community.webshots.com/album/546368115pHZSLQ

I can't offer any advice on the laundry facilities. Have fun!!

Thanks so much for all your posts. You've greatly eased my mind! Now all I have to worry about is the packing. I would have to agree that my kids won't make it past 10 p.m. -- I don't know if I will either!:)

As for laundry, I did check on that and there are laundry facilities on the Jewel, machines are free but you have to pay $1.00 for detergent (I believe that is for 1 load). I can't remember about the irons -- I never iron if I can help it, and usually I can help it!

My son who is almost 4 LOVED the kids club on the Jewel. We'd do our thing during the day....get back to the room around 3 or 4 and then all nap for an hour or two. My husband and I would get up (and leave him sleeping if he was still tired) and start getting ready for dinner. We'd take him to the Garden Cafe or get room service for him for dinner...then drop him off at the kids club for 7. He made friends there......and he loved the staff. We'd usually pick him up around 11 or 11:30- and we'd tip them as much as we were paying them ($5 an hour after 10 pm) They took very good care of the kids....the had a birthday party one night, pajama party the last night, pirates parade........the list goes on. They'd even take the kids next door to the cafe to get an ice cream cone. My son ate his body weight in ice cream that week.

We were on the Jewel back in November....and my son still asks when we're going back on the "jewelry" boat again. Not soon enough I tell him!! LOL

I haven't sailed with NCL before, but every other cruiseline there is NOT a kid's camp on the first night.

Disney's club is open the first night.

I am glad to hear that of the three choices the kids preferred NCL. I also have been worried because my dd's have sailed Disney twice and the clubs are open ALL the time. For me, I am glad the clubs close during the day. It will force my girls into spending some time with the "old parents".

NCL sounds like a great kids program and we can not wait!!

Mia,

the kids range from 6-18

Once you get into your room if you make your reservations ( by phone way easier took ten minutes to do the whole week) you will have no problem getting into anyone. We found that if you make them at 7:00 one parent can go get in for the 7:00 reservation and then other can get the kids into the program at 7:00 when they open the doors. This way you will make the shows at 8:30 ( like dating game, newley wed game stuff like that)

*** If you 6 year old does not swim on their own bring water wings both pools are over 5'.

Is there only 1 show per night? On our other cruise there was an early and a late show.

~Connie

Connie, There are usually two shows for the main events but a lot of smaller game shows and comedy events that we hit right after dinner as if they were planned on our arrival...lol

But most of the big shows if you look around you will spot your children there with there groups too

Connie, There are usually two shows for the main events but a lot of smaller game shows and comedy events that we hit right after dinner as if they were planned on our arrival...lol

But most of the big shows if you look around you will spot your children there with there groups too

Thanks! :)

Mia, I think I answered a question for you on another thread. Just remember the idea about the walkie talkies. I'm telling you they are a great thing to have. When our son was 4 and 5 he loved the kids programs. Last year at age 9 1/2 he hated it after the first night as it was too young for him. That's what led us to using the walkie talkie to let him hand out with other boys ages 9 1/2 to 15. They had such a great time! We would bump into them sitting the the game room, the arcade, the pizza place. etc. They just loved the freedom allowed them even though there were strick rules about checking in and where and where not they could go on this ship.

Mia,

There is a late night at NCL also but we didn't take advantage of it. Our kids were wiped by 10:00 as I am sure yours will be. We had a hard time getting up not cranky going to bed at 10:30 at night. They have a play area like Chuck-E-cheese and they even had events to learn how not to polute the waters. It was so cute. They had one adult with a blind fold on and they set up a small obsticle course that the children one by one tried to get through without making any noise. The children were so intent on getting through this maze of sorts and were learning about the environment while having a blast. The shore days it is $5.00 an hour or $8.00 for both kids. We did it one day for 4 hours. The total cost was $24. plus I tipped Jedi ( who by the way your kids will love....funny guy) It was nice going into town without the little ones for a few hours. To them every port looks the same. Once they got their hair braided they had no interest in being off the boat again.

My daughter loved Jedi as well as Kanga and Dr Crouton. They were wonderful. She often asked if it was time to go to the Kids Club. They nicknamed her Smiley and apparently the most of the crew knew as well because everytime anyone saw her they'd say Hi Smiley and she knew who they were:D

Archived