Full Review: NCL Breakaway, December 4, 2022--A Detailed Review from Experienced Long-Term Cruisers by SthrnGary

Sthrngary

Love the review and I agree with most of what you wrote.  Its why my family still have the Getaway as their favorite cruise.  

I also agree 100% with your conclusion.  For a lot of the people who give a bad review of a cruise, something happened before or early in the cruise that cause everything to be scrutinized more.  Its sometimes not even from the cruise line.  The traffic to get into the port was too long or the security check point took too long.  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Gary,  I tried to find Park Place Parking” using google and nothing comes up.

@RocketMan275 Well it seems I must have had to much to drink last week.  It is not Park Place, it is Fulton Place Discount Parking Center.  My bad.  Sorry.  See below.

Brand: Fulton Place Discount Parking Center

Address: 901 Convention Center Blvd New Orleans, LA 70130

Phone Number: 504-269-7296

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

2 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@RocketMan275 Well it seems I must have had to much to drink last week.  It is not Park Place, it is Fulton Place Discount Parking Center.  My bad.  Sorry.  See below.

Thanks for cleaning that up.  We parked at the Whale last March but I've heard too many stories of vandalism/breakins there.  I booked at Fulton for our cruise this march.  Glad to know it has your blessing.

Have you seen this link:

https://www.saintgregtravel.com/new-orleans-parking/

Greg speaks highly of Fulton.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

You were on vacation, on a ship! Not possible to have too much to drink. Just means you enjoyed yourself, immensely! 

• Haha 1

Wow sounds as if I wrote this about our Breakaway cruise western Caribbean,  most of your review was spot on  to our cruise , Ocean Blue best food. I wanted a Ceaser Salad not on the menu but our waitress got me one as with no sugar free dessert she got me one . , . We ate at Cagneys a few nights earlier it was ok the service was excellent the sides and salad excellence, my porterhouse steak was ok would say was  maybe 1/2 inch thick cooked medium rare as I ordered but it wasn’t the quality of I would say  I only ate 1.2 of it not normal for me . . The steak my mother in law had at ocean blue was excellent, , everything else you mentioned was very similar to our experience .we were a group of 65 family and a few friends celebrating mother in law’s 92 birthday. One thing to add the $9.95 phone app was pretty much worthless if you don’t have an apple phone. Most time it wasn’t working. 

15 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

“Six” was not a show on our sailing (2018). Is this show a musical with a storyline or something else? 

It's more of a concert with each of the six wives singing (with dancing/interaction from the others) about their life. I don't really recall a lot of dialogue. Although even my kids really enjoyed it!

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Larrytheg said:

Wow sounds as if I wrote this about our Breakaway cruise western Caribbean,  most of your review was spot on  to our cruise , Ocean Blue best food. I wanted a Ceaser Salad not on the menu

Would you mind describing your Ocean Blue experience in this thread? I would like that information and don't want to hijack Gary's thread.

We were on this cruise with you, Gary and I had hoped to meet you at the meet greet but I had to slip out early.

Agree with your assessment, but my only complaint is the noise level in the atrium.  It astounds me that NCL insists on using the atrium for spirited day time activities when the theater or other venues were available.   I was trying to talk to the customer service desk about my plumbing and at another time the CN desk and it was nearly impossible to understand each other.   It also impacted our ability to have easy conversation over lunch at OShean’s.  It’s a waste, IMHO, of a lovely bar and coffee area and has to be terrible for those employees who have to talk over all that noise.   Otherwise it was a very relaxing.   We did early walk off and it was a bit of a mess as an officer had told the first groups of folks to line up at point A and then someone came by and said no, the line starts at point B.   That of course put the line backwards and you know how well that went over.  Two large groups had had their 11:30 flights rescheduled for 9:30 😳 so they were understandably anxious to get off first, but when they explained it to the now front of the line there was a minimal amount of grumbling.  I hope they all made it to MSY in time.

this was our first time parking at Fulton Garage (we usually are in the whale lot) and we were very impressed.  

we will be back board 2/26 so if I can check on anything for y’all let me know and I’ll do my best.  

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Larrytheg said:

Wow sounds as if I wrote this about our Breakaway cruise western Caribbean,  most of your review was spot on  to our cruise , Ocean Blue best food. I wanted a Ceaser Salad not on the menu but our waitress got me one as with no sugar free dessert she got me one . , . We ate at Cagneys a few nights earlier it was ok the service was excellent the sides and salad excellence, my porterhouse steak was ok would say was  maybe 1/2 inch thick cooked medium rare as I ordered but it wasn’t the quality of I would say  I only ate 1.2 of it not normal for me . . The steak my mother in law had at ocean blue was excellent, , everything else you mentioned was very similar to our experience .we were a group of 65 family and a few friends celebrating mother in law’s 92 birthday. One thing to add the $9.95 phone app was pretty much worthless if you don’t have an apple phone. Most time it wasn’t working. 

Hello, @larrytheg, may I ask what this $9.95 app is?  I do have an Apple phone and an Apple iPad.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, rnr4thatsme said:

@Sthrngarythank you so much for the informative review!  Looking forward to going on this ship in January!   I also plan on buying the streaming premium internet - do you think I have any hope of being able to stream a college basketball game?   

@rnr4thatsme You will have no issues however most of the bars, if the game is being played, my be able to tune it in.  Ask, all they can say is NO.  

11 minutes ago, Larrytheg said:

Besides the Wi-Fi the ship sells for $9.95 a app so you are supposed to be able to. Text or call others using the app they sell it at the internet desk. Not worth it unless you have apple then not sure you even need it 

I usually get this and it works very well.  I don't get it when it is just my wife and myself.  If that is the case, "I don't want to be found".  I am usually having an old fashion in the cigar lounge.  

1 hour ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

We were on this cruise with you, Gary and I had hoped to meet you at the meet greet but I had to slip out early.

Agree with your assessment, but my only complaint is the noise level in the atrium.  It astounds me that NCL insists on using the atrium for spirited day time activities when the theater or other venues were available.   I was trying to talk to the customer service desk about my plumbing and at another time the CN desk and it was nearly impossible to understand each other.   It also impacted our ability to have easy conversation over lunch at OShean’s.  It’s a waste, IMHO, of a lovely bar and coffee area and has to be terrible for those employees who have to talk over all that noise.   Otherwise it was a very relaxing.   We did early walk off and it was a bit of a mess as an officer had told the first groups of folks to line up at point A and then someone came by and said no, the line starts at point B.   That of course put the line backwards and you know how well that went over.  Two large groups had had their 11:30 flights rescheduled for 9:30 😳 so they were understandably anxious to get off first, but when they explained it to the now front of the line there was a minimal amount of grumbling.  I hope they all made it to MSY in time.

this was our first time parking at Fulton Garage (we usually are in the whale lot) and we were very impressed.  

we will be back board 2/26 so if I can check on anything for y’all let me know and I’ll do my best.  

Sorry we missed each other.  I did not go to the M&G because I my wife was in the Slot Tourniment.  She was out in the first round though.  Less stress for her.  I must have gotten lucky on the exit of the ship the last day.  I was pleasantly surprised.  

I stayed away from the Atrium.  Not my area unless I was up at 07:00 AM getting coffee at Starbucks.  I won at Black Jack the last day and was trying to pay off my tab on my room.  That is a habit I have if I win gambling.  The line was so long I gave up.  Calling them was also impossible.  So I know what you mean. 

Glad all in all you had a good time.  Enjoy your next trip.  

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

I would like that information and don't want to hijack Gary's thread.

@RocketMan275 Very kind of you however HiJack away.  We all learn from each other and when a post interests you, please feel free to ask even if it is off topic.  

• Like 2

@SthrngaryGreat write up. I continue to enjoy your writing style, your voice, and your approach to life. If you have time, I’ve got a few questions. 

Premium Plus Beverage Package: I bought this for my upcoming and I’m excited to use. I’m not concerned about the ledger side and worried about getting my value from a per drink perspective. Was ordering a breeze with this package? The value for me is the freedom to order and never worry about up charges or extra costs. 

6 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

@SthrngaryGreat write up. I continue to enjoy your writing style, your voice, and your approach to life. If you have time, I’ve got a few questions. 

Premium Plus Beverage Package: I bought this for my upcoming and I’m excited to use. I’m not concerned about the ledger side and worried about getting my value from a per drink perspective. Was ordering a breeze with this package? The value for me is the freedom to order and never worry about up charges or extra costs. 

@New2cruise2022 My experience was when I order something, the server or the bartender first asked for my cabin card which is coded with a P+ symbol.  They would smile and suggest even nicer spirits or wines.  I also don''t care about the Ledger.  We think the same.  The only time I had an issue was the main dining room when I ordered bottle water.  The serve said it was not par of our package and I said, check again.  This is the Premium Plus package.  He came back a minute later and apologized. 

6 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@New2cruise2022 My experience was when I order something, the server or the bartender first asked for my cabin card which is coded with a P+ symbol.  They would smile and suggest even nicer spirits or wines.  I also don''t care about the Ledger.  We think the same.  The only time I had an issue was the main dining room when I ordered bottle water.  The serve said it was not par of our package and I said, check again.  This is the Premium Plus package.  He came back a minute later and apologized. 

Cannot wait! Thanks!

22 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Parking at the Port:  I dropped my wife off at the Hotel, then drove the car to the “Park Place Parking”.  I pre-paid for the parking online so it was kind of easy.  I highly recommend this parking because when you come out of the ship, the “White Parking Buses” are waiting for you.  Less than a 5-minute drive.  When coming from your hotel to the port, your Uber driver will know the short cut to miss the crazy traffic around the port of New Orleans.

Good afternoon.... so were you able to park the day before the cruise? If so you just reserved Cruise parking and did it one additional day before and Uber to hotel? Thanks in advance!

23 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Yes, it is usually a crowded mess.  But it was good this time because I got there early on purpose. 

Thank You this was a Great Review! I have just one question about The Beer Pub. On the other Breakaway ships I have been to the District Brew House on those ships several times on each cruise. Which bar are you calling the The Beer Pub and what deck is it on? I have search all the decks and can not find it. Once again I enjoy reading your reviews!!

• Like 1

Besides the Wi-Fi the ship sells for $9.95 a app so you are supposed to be able to. Text or call others using the app they sell it at the internet desk. Not worth it unless you have apple then not sure you even need it  my food at Ocean blue I ordered the grilled seafood plater shrimp. Scallop , salmon  was perfect ,  my mother in law who eats like 3 bites of anything besides bread ordered the filet mignon. It was fantastic . Wish my porterhouse from Cagneys tasted that good

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Gary, I almost forgot to ask, how was your Steak 'n Shake?

@RocketMan275 I can not tell a lie, my wife would NOT let me go.  She did not want to stop because she wanted to go to the LEGO story as quickly as she could.  I on the other hand wanted to start eating because I am finally off my diet.  Happy wife, happy life.  

• Haha 1