Are travel agents able to offer or help you book private fare prices?

jameslee

2 minutes ago, Navybikermom said:

Does the travel agent get the same commission regardless of the cruise price? 

No. Well not usually. Big box work salary as call center plus small bonus. Other TAs may have salary plus commission and others work strictly commission based on fare. I've always researched my own travel plans. In beginning used a friend's travel agency before they retired. Then tried a National company and I walked in with cabin we wanted them to book for a 4 month cruise. The agent's eyes lit up because of the price and the commission. I did the work for a simple 1/2 hour booking and 3 hours later we had to wait to get a refund on our card and rebook the correct cruise for the correct year. 🙃 They were not for me. 

I learned what commission they make based on what other passengers were getting in pricing and credits and its pretty good what cruise lines offer them. (I thought about doing it but I hate when customers complain and cruise passengers seem to like doing that🤪). A good TA can do well on commission, including bonuses, free cruises, promotions and quantity/bulk discounts, etc.  (At least pre covid). They all don't get the same commission but it changes with price and so do the bonuses.