Holland America Cabin Ventilation - Isolated?

The-Inside-Cabin

Hi Pete:

You'll be off on your GWV soon.

Thought I'd share what my Primary Dr (I live in San Diego) suggested as he's seen many sick cruise passengers over the years.

Note: - My last cruise was fall of 2019. B2B total 79 days.

Prior to 2019 - my DH & I would come down with Upper R Infection on cruises we took the prior 3 consecutive years.  2018 being the worse that took 6 weeks upon our return for me to get well.

My Primary Dr suggested me purchasing a UV Air Filter from Sharper Image & a small Humidifier to run continuously in our cabin.  

Reason:  Cross-Ventilation System in cabin 

We purchased these 2 items & had NO illness on our long 2019 cruise.

There were many coughing/sick people on our cruise.  But we were lucky & remained healthy.

We will always cruise with these 2 items.

They are both smaller size & take up about 1/2 of a small carry-on.

I had also taken a small spray bottle of Alcohol to sanitize "touch" areas in cabin twice a day & some Saran Wrap to encase the TV remote (which I changed daily).  Don't know if these last 2 items were an overkill - but we didn't want another "sick" cruise.

I believe HAL ships some of your baggage prior to your cruise.

If you are interested & want more info on the filter & humidifier I use - email me at:

cjbootscoot @ gmail . com

17 hours ago, liketraveling said:

I am sure allot of cases go unreported. My dad got it last month on a cruise and two days later I got it.   We both had mild cases because we had been double vaxed and triple boosted,  when we got out of isolation, we were afraid to go anywhere because all the hacking and one lady was blowing her head full of snot in the lido at the dinner table.  It could have been flu too.  I am sure there were allot of cases not reported.  If you go on a cruise you need to go that there is a possibility you could get Covid.  Just as a possibility of some other bug out there.  For me I have just decided I won’t cruise anymore.  

I was getting close to that point, but our last cruise has given me hope.

After 2 cruises (Alaska and Norway) of  insufferable hacking and nose blowing, we were preparing for the worst again on our recent cruise. Happy to report our 7 day cruise last week in the Caribbean  was a breath of fresh air (pun  intended- haha)  with much reduced evident illness, even in a full theatre and music venues. They now had signs indicating "Cover your cough" which had been a big issue on our  prior cruises (sad folks have to be reminded of this).  Not sure if was the warmer climate or just a lucky cruise this time, but it felt pretty normal.

Sadly at the FLL airport with 6 cruises disembarking that day, it was a different story, but at least our cruise felt pretty normal.

22 hours ago, wdw1972 said:

This may be a crazy, radical thought - but it's crossed my mind.  I keep reading (here on Cruise Critic) of people who masked religiously, didn't use elevators, didn't attend shows, washing hands frequently, sometimes wiping down their stateroom, and didn't eat in crowded areas coming down with covid.  Could it be the people have unintentionally damaged their immune systems with all these precautions that they're far more susceptible than those of us who go about enjoying our cruise in a carefree manner as if covid had never happened?  We never wore a mask, didn't hesitate to ride a full elevator, attended shows & musical performances, took shore excursions, ate in restaurants, didn't bother washing hands except for after bathroom use, and didn't use hand sanitizers or wipe down surfaces - none of us got covid (or anything else).  It's starting to look funny to me that the ones who report getting it are the ones going to such extremes to avoid it.

Sue/WDW1972

Logical thought. You can probably apply this thought to everything in life. People have been using masks for longer than many of us have been alive. Some get sick and some don't. Some die and some don't. I know enough people that have died or gotten sick (vaccinated or not) to know that there is a risk, no matter what we do. I too have not gotten sick (yet) but if on a 7 day cruise we have to quarantine for 6 days, probably not good odds. (We book longer cruises 🤣). My DW got Covid (vaxed and boosted) and prior to that flu (flu shot received) on cruises. We both have no problems wearing masks or keeping hands washed. (And still enjoy cruising).  Everyone is different but the risk still exists. Just like the risk of getting hit by a truck, but I still look both ways before crossing. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2022 at 9:19 AM, chengkp75 said:

Thank you so much for this rundown of covid transmission on cruise ships.  I wish you were working for the agencies that are supposed to educate us on ventilation in other spaces.  That was superb!