Cruise ship excursion necessary in Puerto Limon?

cruisintwinsmom

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2022 at 10:12 PM, cruisintwinsmom said:

On my many cruises, I have usually explored on my own or hired a private guide. I'm having trouble finding info on exploring Puerto Limon on my own. I see many suggested private tours. Are they the only way to see the area?

Thanks in advance.

You can walk out of the port. There's a very small town park and a local shopping area. Beyond that it's a road leading out of town past some grocery stores and schools--your typical suburban strip mall sprawl, but in Costa Rica so smaller and less at odds with the landscape. If you walk into the town itself there is a church and some restaurants and bars--but note that this is Costa Rica so it won't feel commercial at all. There's no Margaritaville. 

It's not possible to rent a car on a port stop (I checked) as the closest rental place is at the airport and most port days in Limon are on the short side; time just doesn't allow it. 

There were tour options available in the port the day of, but they looked pretty limited. 

16 hours ago, elbodans said:

You can walk out of the port. There's a very small town park and a local shopping area. Beyond that it's a road leading out of town past some grocery stores and schools--your typical suburban strip mall sprawl,....

Thank you so much for your response!

1 hour ago, Markanddonna said:

I'm there right now. Dh is sick so we can't go on tours but there are many vendors at the port with clear signs of the costs. 

Very helpful. Thank you.

And good health to your husband.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 5:56 PM, cruising in mn said:

This guy, Jorge, is the best tour operator there hands down! Give him an email, he can set up something for you for sure. We used him a couple years ago, will be using him again in Feb

Tell him Tammy sent you

Pura Vida!

https://www.portlimon.com/

Tammy, which tour did you take prior?  Which one are you taking this month?
Recommendations?