NCL Getaway Redux - Live Junket from 12/31/22 - 1/8/23

cruiseny4life

GSC looking pretty with sunset approaching and the RC ship docked next island over.  

Forecast - seas might be a bit rocky in the early morning hours as GA flip all 4 engines to bring her home, tomorrow, I see small white caps ahead for ya all ... (sorry, just calling out what the charts are saying)   Hopefully, they aren't going to close the outdoors for safety reasons as Saturday will be more chilly.  

A quickie question for CruiseNext, as they should know - whether those Platinum BTS tour are resuming soon and/or doing Dine With Officers again (Sapphires & up) as the Jewel, reporting that they resumed last week.  TIA

• Thanks 1

Quick dress code update!

Apparently shorts are allowed in Tropicana Room, but don't you dare wear a hat at Shanghai Noodle Bar! Saw an older gentleman be told to decap his head before being allowed to sit. 

Hats allowed in the Haven Restaurant though. Not me! I wouldnt be allowed to wear a hat while dining by the husband. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

quickie question for CruiseNext, as they should know - whether those Platinum BTS tour are resuming soon and/or doing Dine With Officers again (Sapphires & up) as the Jewel, reporting that they resumed last week.  TIA

I'll check for you! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Currently at Shanghai's. We just missed the 5:30 seating, so we're sat at the 5:55 seating. These aren't really seatings, but the system basically works that way. Of all the venues, this one could be expanded by a bit. Here's the line before anyone was sat. It continued to get longer after we received our buzzer and hour wait time.

20230105_172933.thumb.jpg.03493f1a85c0a3421e23788b68603eb9.jpg

• Thanks 1

Happy New Year!  Thank you so much for all the updates.  We are traveling on the Getaway on Feb 18th with the same (original) itinerary.  My husband's first cruise ever.  My first one since 1997 (on the Pacific Princess aka the Love Boat 🙂 ).   After living in the islands for many years, we are go with the flow when it comes to plans. 

We have been contemplating upgrading to the Haven (didn't really know much before we booked). I think your assessments/pictures have convinced us to upgrade.   

Question - husband loves good Bourbon, do you know what the situation is with that at the Haven bar?  He is also an executive chef, so I'm slightly worried about the restaurants.  He's not a snob, but likes good quality food.

Safe travels!

4 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Currently at Shanghai's. We just missed the 5:30 seating, so we're sat at the 5:55 seating. These aren't really seatings, but the system basically works that way. Of all the venues, this one could be expanded by a bit. Here's the line before anyone was sat. It continued to get longer after we received our buzzer and hour wait time.

20230105_172933.thumb.jpg.03493f1a85c0a3421e23788b68603eb9.jpg

How long do you wait for the buzzer?   Can you easily grab a buzzer and be nearby? Is there a time where you don’t have to wait for the buzzer (I don’t care how long the wait is, as long as I don’t have to stand in line because my kids will destroy the ship if I keep them on an hour line).  If I can grab a buzzer and walk around with them we’ll be fine.  

Edited by kitkat343

On 12/13/2022 at 11:05 AM, goldmom said:

Love your enthusiasm!  I hope you have a wonderful cruise.  I'll be curious to hear what is open in Bermuda in January.  Especially in the Dockyard area.  We'll be there in March and we were thinking that not much would be open.

Enjoy!

We were there a few weeks ago.   Most of the shops were open when the ship was in port.    Hours were shortened though.   Everything was a ghost town (except the pubs) by 5pm.

• Thanks 2

On 1/2/2023 at 1:11 PM, mking8288 said:

@cruiseny4life  Thanks so much again for the various updates, nowadays ... we'll just have to roll with the punches with the "Almost Cruise To Nowhere" as NCL called them last minute.  Overnighting is good as long as folks knew ahead and can plan independently - NOT.     

Per Marinetraffic site: 4 ships in PC this afternoon - Carnival Freedom, Enchantment OTS, Mariners OTS and Independence OTS.   On a positive note - Jetty Park is easy walking distance, practically right next door this afternoon (until sunset) 

Looked at a # of maritime & weather forecasts/charts for today & next several, don't see anything that suggested today's delayed arrival - it anything, a strong tailwind that should've boosted ship's true speed in getting in early.  Tomorrow & Wed's outlook for the Bahamas looking fine, GSC is always 50:50 but later this week ... the North Atlantic including areas around Bermuda & coastal routes heading back to NY, not pretty & mother nature whipping out sea state & waves, again (fairly typical this/any time of the year.)  But, gotta have faith with the bridge team & the captain, staff captain & others responsible ... that safety first.  

Yeah, we are sailing her once Laszlo come back.  Whether Syd' Norman will be back, personally, don't matter to us but could be true for others - as long as they don't put on a movie in lieu of the production shows (... could watch them at home at 4k, LOL.) 

Probably had to due with the Gulf stream and the strong south to north current outside of the breakwater. You have to drive the ship "sideways" in the current to maintain a straight course. Might of been to high of a current for them to attempt. I have been in to Port Canaveral 2 or 3 times on a submarine as the Asst. Navigator,  always interesting.  Sounds like you are having a a great cruise. Thank you for your reviews.

• Thanks 1

I'm not sure how I feel about this one. Lucky, fortunate, that sucks, and ugh, NCL really, after final payment? 

I'm fortunate that I'm on a cruise in the Haven and while cruising learned that my next cruise has an itinerary change. 

Definitely thinking what the hell NCL, I'm pretty sure you knew long before final payment date that too many ships would be in Costa Maya - at least that's the theory I've heard somewhere evil. I don't think we'd really cancel as we're happy with the itinerary still and I will never complain about having a sea day to while away in a hot tub.

Here's the updated itinerary letter:

Screenshot_20230106_165824_Gmail.thumb.jpg.0549a9846e512f1a209afd83571f947c.jpg

Apparently this March cruise just wants to be a pain. We had booked a cruise out of New Orleans on the Escape, until the entire itinerary flipped to the eastern Caribbean from the western. Now this. 

At least at the end of the day I'll still be cruising with my husband. That's all that really matters.

• Like 3

Every cruise we have booked the thermal suite. It's a lovely place to unwind. We expected the suite to be really busy and that expectation has been met. That's ok, we know the quiet times for when we just want to relax in relative silence. 

What has been different this week is the attention to detail from the staff. Perhaps the cutbacks (I'll post separately on this) mean there aren't as many staff to squeegee the floor, fill cups water, and oranges. 

More than a couple times I have had to go request cups for water. The staff hops to, but in the past standards were such that you wanted for nothing. I always remarked on the bored crew member standing at the ready for the slightest drop of water to hit the floor. This week, I have seen the squeegee come out only once. I spend hours in the thermal suite yall, so I have a good idea of how it was maintained before this cruise and how it's being maintained now. 

Additionally, two loungers aren't working properly. One is warm'ish and the one iI tried out today was cold. The sanarium has been chilly this week too. Definitely not up to the 75 degrees it should be. 

Finally, my last whining point, the towels have not been kept up with like in the past. Maybe someone's using way too many. That'd be me, by the way. I use three every visit for my pillow. But, never before have I seen the suite run out of towels. This time, it's happened a few times. My guess is the spa manager is not really doing the proper oversight.

I'm not venting for a discount from NCL. I've enjoyed my time there and would purchase again. Just a scary lessening of standards by NCL...I hope not, but am afraid it may be so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

I see what you did here.😉 You parked yourself right behind where the "Jerry Lee Lewis" would be.

Still holding out hope it was the same performer as your lasts sailing...  lol

Oh my gosh! I was drinking tea on my balcony when I read this. The balcony has been thoroughly cleansed with tea from my laughter!!!

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

...I'm not venting for a discount from NCL. I've enjoyed my time there and would purchase again. Just a scary lessening of standards by NCL...I hope not, but am afraid it may be so.

Tomorrow would be the perfect time to leave a note to the GM about this (in that box at customer service "tell Luigi" or Mario, or whomever I forget

I had a comment about something in May (on Joy) and put it in there mid cruise. By the time I was back in my suite I had a bunch of comps from them, which is nice, but not what I was looking for.

So in November (on Getaway), when I had some feedback, I waited until the last day to put the note in the box so that it was more likely they would read the comment as an ending constructive feedback rather than an ask for something. I did receive a phone call from someone thanking me for the feedback and noting the things or so I think--I'm near deaf so I have no idea who it was or 50% of what they said, but I didn't get a plate of strawberries or a bottle of Pink Vueve which for some would be welcome, but for me it makes me feel uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

If you're fortunate enough (a bit of luck plays into the whole economic argument, but I digress), then you can skip those long meal lines, like the time we spent waiting for Shanghai last night. Here are the goodies our butler brought to us this evening!

20230106_174919.thumb.jpg.06dbee9a6e1b75ad46ed6e04352139fe.jpg

Fried pork pot stickers on the right. Counter Clockwise, steamed pork pot stickers, finally steamed shrimp dumplings. Yum!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cruiseinfoseeker said:

Tomorrow would be the perfect time to leave a note to the GM about this (in that box at customer service "tell Luigi" or Mario, or whomever I forget

I had a comment about something in May (on Joy) and put it in there mid cruise. By the time I was back in my suite I had a bunch of comps from them, which is nice, but not what I was looking for.

So in November (on Getaway), when I had some feedback, I waited until the last day to put the note in the box so that it was more likely they would read the comment as an ending constructive feedback rather than an ask for something. I did receive a phone call from someone thanking me for the feedback and noting the things or so I think--I'm near deaf so I have no idea who it was or 50% of what they said, but I didn't get a plate of strawberries or a bottle of Pink Vueve which for some would be welcome, but for me it makes me feel uncomfortable. 

That's a good suggestion! I'd prefer not to get anything as well, as I received my value for the money paid. I'll do that! 

Oh, one *I think* last request of you @cruiseny4life:  Next time you are at a bar or are hanging around a bar where the bartender seems to be kind of knowledgeable, can you ask what the new "Connoisseur Collection beverages" are? They are listed as excluded from all beverage packages and seem to be a new thing added to the terms in addition to what is also still there like the flights and the "experiences" so it isn't just a fancied up word for either of those.

thanks

12 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Every cruise we have booked the thermal suite. It's a lovely place to unwind ... What has been different this week is the attention to detail from the staff. Perhaps the cutbacks (I'll post separately on this) mean there aren't as many staff ... My guess is the spa manager is not really doing the proper oversight ... Just a scary lessening of standards by NCL...I hope not, but am afraid it may be so.

Show this to DW as we get ready to finalize our packing for the 20th.  It is what it is, tailored expectations going forward.  Hopefully, the upper echelon at Miami HQ is reading some of these live reports or at least getting them in bullet points.  Doubtful that HD in command, let alone the spa manager, is in a position to "fix" some of the issues, especially if they are 100 to 300 staff short for unplanned & worst, planned reasons.  

NCL can cut all 4 corners and trim the legs, but once the balanced scale is titled beyond, uprighting it again isn't as simple as just floating the tabletop above it.  Our friends that came back from their 12 days GEM T/A were not entirely satisfied but ... in spite of it all, just booked another repo - 16 nights TA this Spring on NCL.  Perhaps, our passion to cruise isn't easily extinguished despite being soured at times.  

BTW, lovely pictures of sunset on the Atlantic sailing homeward bound - seas were bad at all & looks fine thru tomorrow afternoon, spotted the GA way off Savannah, GA now on a northerly heading, ride should be smooth but tomorrow evening as you cross VA/DE toward NJ coastline, brace & hold railings as you walk around as wind gust will be up ... If the bridge can chart a course closer to shore, won't be all that bad.  Had she gone to Bermuda & sail from northwest toward NY, things would be a lot choppy & bumpy all of tomorrow ... gotta appreciate the Windy App's forecast.  

Isn't that Shanghai Noodles comfort food great - if you haven't try out the seafood udon (noodles) soup and the thinly sliced pork (loin) noodles broth, you "must" & get your butler to fetch it - as lunch tomorrow or late evening snack later - petite portions (to us) and you can still do a full meal .. worry about the diet next week.  As for the long line & wait ... now that half of the ship heard & learn about it ... I've suggested that they incorporate the selections into O'Sheehan's and The Local.  

Have a great evening & enjoy the last 2 days ... Sunday morning, it's going to be low/mid 30's and dry, no worries about snow or blizzard, etc.  Erie & Monroe Counties west of Utica, looking fine thru the weekend.