Military benefits with Princess not showing on personaliser - Australia

Travel agent sent off paperwork for military benefits request 3 weeks for cruise departing on 19th December.  Still not showing up on personalizer.  Asked travel agent today but they weren't able to provide any update.  First time Princess cruiser.

Is it possible if its not showing on embarkation day that you can go to desk services and get it applied once onboard?  

Any advice appreciated.

33 minutes ago, Kaylacool said:

Travel agent sent off paperwork for military benefits request 3 weeks for cruise departing on 19th December.  Still not showing up on personalizer.  Asked travel agent today but they weren't able to provide any update.  First time Princess cruiser.

Is it possible if its not showing on embarkation day that you can go to desk services and get it applied once onboard?  

Any advice appreciated.

Hi Guys

I had similar with our P&O cruise got my TA to check, it turned out they had not approved it as my proof of share was just over three months old and out of date they said had to get new copy with current date.

Also I'm not sure but I think you may have to have it approved at least three days prior to cruise. Some one will need to clarify if that is true.

But I would be quick chasing it up with emails to all parties concerned, TA; Princess; and Carnival.

Good Luck

Regards

John

Edited by Ozwoody
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Hi Guys

I had similar with our P&O cruise got my TA to check, it turned out they had not approved it as my proof of share was just over three months old and out of date they said had to get new copy with current date.

Also I'm not sure but I think you may have to have it approved at least three days prior to cruise. Some one will need to clarify if that is true.

But I would be quick chasing it up with emails to all parties concerned, TA; Princess; and Carnival.

Good Luck

Regards

John

Have you requested Military Benifits with P&O or any Carnival line?

If so it should be registered and auto added when you book, it has for me with my previous cruises.

I would ring Princess direct.

Regards

John

Edited by Ozwoody

Have you requested Military Benifits with P&O or any Carnival line?

If so it should be registered and auto added when you book, it has for me with my previous cruises.

Regards

John

First time Princess cruisers

3 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

You reckon I can get a Personal Butler discount?

I mean why not. I do my chosen job and get paid for it. So I am just as eligible for a discount then.

Cue the outrage.

Also is there such a benefit with Princess as refer-a-friend -.  might be able to request this too  :  )

1 minute ago, Kaylacool said:

First time Princess cruisers

Its a Carnival thing, it applies to all their lines, Princess; P&O; Cunard, etc.

I assume you didn't request it for the Vanuatu cruise? That was $200 OBC.

Definitely need to get you proof of service registered.

I do you need the e-mail address? or is your TA following up at the moment?

13 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

I mean why not. I do my chosen job and get paid for it. So I am just as eligible for a discount then.

Cue the outrage.

I think it has something to do with peoples work where other people are trying to kill you.🙄😁

Maybe if your were a lousy butler, and your employer wanted to kill you for messing things up, it might count.🤣

Edited by Ozwoody
  • Like 1

Its a Carnival thing, it applies to all their lines, Princess; P&O; Cunard, etc.

Thanks John.  I was asking this question

7 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

Thanks John.  I was asking this question for a friend who has recently booked on this cruise that we are sailing on too.  He is ex military and first time princess cruiser.  He booked through flight centre and has found them rather unhelpful with any followup etc,

3 minutes ago, Kaylacool said:

Thanks John.  I was asking this question for a friend who has recently booked on this cruise that we are sailing on too.  He is ex military and first time princess cruiser.  He booked through flight centre and has found them rather unhelpful with any followup etc,

He needs to e-mail direct to "defencebenefits@princesscruises.com.au", then follow up with a call to princess and let them know he has sent it and that his TA said they had sent it, and he was following up as it hadn't appeared on his booking. It maybe to late for the 19th, but he should give it a try.😟

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

Not all their lines. It no longer applies to Carnival, but should still apply for Princess.

7 hours ago, arxcards said:

Not all their lines. It no longer applies to Carnival, but should still apply for Princess.

You may be right, I have received it on Princess, Cunard, and now P&O, haven't sailed other Carnival lines. I thought Carnival gave it as a fare discount? has this been discontinued?

Thanks Geoff

11 hours ago, buchhalm said:

Cue the outrage.

I think the military benefit is an 'American thing'. They regularly say "thank you for your service" when this isn't something I heard in Australia until very recently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I think the military benefit is an 'American thing'. They regularly say "thank you for your service" when this isn't something I heard in Australia until very recently.

Yes! I thought so as well.

When I lived in the US, that constant "Thank you for your service " was sickening. Uniformed military * but not any ACTUAL services that help people* get to board aircraft first etc.

But what REALLY annoyed me were constant announcements in that regard on a cruise in EUROPEAN waters. OK, an American ship but there were more Europeans, and even Aussies on board. 

And Americans on cruise forums ask if they should bring their military uniforms (hopefully not the combat or every day ones) for Formal Night.

But hey....

Halloween is creeping into Australia as well...

4 minutes ago, buchhalm said:

Yes! I thought so as well.

When I lived in the US, that constant "Thank you for your service " was sickening. Uniformed military * but not any ACTUAL services that help people* get to board aircraft first etc.

But what REALLY annoyed me were constant announcements in that regard on a cruise in EUROPEAN waters. OK, an American ship but there were more Europeans, and even Aussies on board. 

And Americans on cruise forums ask if they should bring their military uniforms (hopefully not the combat or every day ones) for Formal Night.

But hey....

Halloween is creeping into Australia as well...

If you had a loved one who survived being shot at and rolling their humvee over an IED (which cost them their hearing and half their right arm, but hey, they lived), after days spent rescuing surviving locals from a bombed out building but wondering if the 9 year old approaching you is strapped with a bomb, you'd perhaps develop a different outlook on the reason behind why we say 'Thank you for your service' and also why we realize that our enlisted  *do*  perform ACTUAL services that help people. 

Or maybe the SEAL who was shot off the side of a mountain trying to shelter local "infidels" from the terrorists taking over their family's farmland needs your appreciation more. 

👀

13 hours ago, Kaylacool said:

Any advice appreciated.

Bring all the required documentation with you, and it's worth a check with Guest Services, but my professional advice is to call Princess yourself to follow up on the information being submitted. Since this is something that is added to your actual passenger profile and not specific to that booking which belongs to the agent, they may be able to help. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jenephertx said:

If you had a loved one who survived being shot at and rolling their humvee over an IED (which cost them their hearing and half their right arm, but hey, they lived), after days spent rescuing surviving locals from a bombed out building but wondering if the 9 year old approaching you is strapped with a bomb, you'd perhaps develop a different outlook on the reason behind why we say 'Thank you for your service' and also why we realize that our enlisted  *do*  perform ACTUAL services that help people. 

Or maybe the SEAL who was shot off the side of a mountain trying to shelter local "infidels" from the terrorists taking over their family's farmland needs your appreciation more. 

👀

Let me guess.

American? Military family?

Welcome to Cruise Critic, by the way.

My point is this.

American armed forces are in that job voluntarily. And they know what they sign up for. And they are getting paid for their work.  Correct?

So if THEY should get special pricing because they are doing their chosen work, so should fire fighters, police officers, nurses, the mail delivery person, bus drivers, anyone.

Or are you basing this on the level of the chance to get hurt at work?

1 minute ago, buchhalm said:

Let me guess.

American? Military family?

Welcome to Cruise Critic, by the way.

My point is this.

American armed forces are in that job voluntarily. And they know what they sign up for. And they are getting paid for their work.  Correct?

So if THEY should get special pricing because they are doing their chosen work, so should fire fighters, police officers, nurses, the mail delivery person, bus drivers, anyone.

Or are you basing this on the level of the chance to get hurt at work?

Deducing this to someone simply 'getting paid for voluntarily doing their chosen work' is really an oversimplification. 

I don't believe it's about level of the chance of being hurt at work. I believe it's about the level of personal sacrifice on behalf of another person that the job requires. Putting yourself in harm's way for the sake of another person's safety, and defending the defenseless, are things not everyone is willing to voluntarily offer, and are things people typically are not driven by money in order to provide. I've never ever heard a cop or a soldier say they did it for the money, or that it was "just a job". It's far more than that.

I believe that those who are willing to offer that level of personal sacrifice for the sake of others are deserving of acknowledgement, and of our appreciation. 

• Like 2

I may put myself in the crosshairs on this myself.

I don't begrudge anyone being entitled to extra OBC or a discount based on whatever the reason offered. When they do this, there is a line in the sand, all the same. There are plenty of other occupations where people put themselves on the line every day to serve their communities. 

There is patriotism, which is the national spirit that lives behind the military offering thanks, support and respect for the roles they fulfill.

Then there is corporate tokenism, which is a token gratitude offered by an entity, which gains income and goodwill for being seen to be "patriotic".

This is heading off track like a transpacific discussion on the virtues of tipping. We are different nations with many similarities, but there are differences. 95% of Cruise Critic is US content, and this little Australia/New Zealand corner should be free to discuss our own views without being lectured from the other side of the Pacific.

Edited by arxcards

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

Yes Carnival is American, and yes it was started to recognised US solders that served.

However Carnival is not the only company to offer it.

Also Carnival has graciously extended it to other nationalities that sail with them.

When I enlisted, whether naively or what ever, I genuinely did so because I wanted to be ready to defend my countries freedoms, because at the time, it looked like war with Russia was eminent.

I was named after two uncles who died in the second world war, defending our democracies.

I don't think, being willing to put your life at risk to protect others is the same as basic office work.

We should be graetful for the people, like solders, firemen, police, do. As recent events in queensland have shown, they don't always get home again.

But buchhalm is entitled to his opinion, gifted to him by those that did.

Edited by Ozwoody
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, arxcards said:

I may put myself in the crosshairs on this myself.

I don't begrudge anyone being entitled to extra OBC or a discount based on whatever the reason offered. When they do this, there is a line in the sand, all the same. There are plenty of other occupations where people put themselves on the line every day to serve their communities. 

There is patriotism, which is the national spirit that lives behind the military offering thanks, support and respect for the roles they fulfill.

Then there is corporate tokenism, which is a token gratitude offered by an entity, which gains income and goodwill for being seen to be "patriotic".

This is heading off track like a transpacific discussion on the virtues of tipping. We are different nations with many similarities, but there are differences. 95% of Cruise Critic is US content, and this little Australia/New Zealand corner should be free to discuss our own views without being lectured from the other side of the Pacific.

No ill will, as I agree with most of what you said...but my intent wasn't a lecture. The original poster is very obviously a service member, and not one from "the other side of the Pacific", I might add. My reply was as much in their defense as it was in defense of the Americans and US service members buchhalm was referring to. 

While searching the topics for information relevant to my Australian clients, whom I recently booked on Princess, I stumbled onto this post....and I felt the comments buchhalm made about the topic to be rather belittling, not just to Americans, but also to the service member who was looking for helpful information, so I spoke up. My apologies if you feel that, as an American, I have no place contributing to your little Australia/New Zealand corner here on Cruise Critic. While I often peruse the boards, because much of it is helpful and relevant to my job, I am new to interacting with them. I didn't realize there was nationality exclusivity. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Jenephertx said:

My apologies if you feel that, as an American, I have no place contributing to your little Australia/New Zealand corner here on Cruise Critic. While I often peruse the boards, because much of it is helpful and relevant to my job, I am new to interacting with them. I didn't realize there was nationality exclusivity. 

Everyone is welcome down under 🙃, though as you may notice even down here some have stronger views than others. But please don't feel unwelcome, we appreciate input from all parties where ever they hail from.

• Like 2