Policy for Positive Covid Test

gordiej

Hi all, I see VV has a "policy" regarding if you test positive for COVID within 10 days of sailing, or at the terminal, you won't be able to sail, but you'll get a full future voyage credit. I can't find any fine print though. Does anyone have the formal policy? I'm mainly wondering if, say, I test positive, whether (1) my cabin mates, and/or (2) other traveling companions booked in other cabins will also be eligible for the FVC. Trying to assess this policy against travel insurance, which does cover illness of travel companions. 

Since covid testing is no longer required to board, the only way you'll know is if you test yourself or you get sick on board and are tested.  There is no testing at the terminal any more unless you fail your health screen and are taken to "medical" to see whether you can cruise or not.  This is an area of the terminal prior to boarding.

I would strongly suggest travel insurance purchased privately, not thru the cruise line.  THe reason I go private is that I can get a lot better coverage for the same or less money.  Purchased thru the cruise line will not cover your airfare or anything not purchased thru the line, and generally doesn't include much medical coverage.  The reason to get insurance in general is that you, a travel companion, or a family member not cruising could get any sort of injury or illness, while the old VV policy covered only covid.  So if you got the flu, you wouldn't be covered under the VV covid policy....and I don't even know if that policy is still in effect.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, angela12345 said:

Do you mind sharing what company you usually use to underwrite your travel insurance ?

I go to insuremytrip.com and compare rates. Lately, I've been picking the Nationwide Cruise Plan which has specific unique coverage for cruises such as port schedule disruptions or delays. 

I use Travel Insured International , the specific policy is Worldwide Trip Protector..  Many companies offer more than one policy level; I don't choose the lowest one because for a very few dollars more, I can move up to the mid level which provides a lot more medical coverage.    This company was recommended by a TA many years ago and I've used them for cruises ever since.

Ask yourself why you are buying the insurance.  In my case, it is because my health insurance will not cover me outside the US.  Another big concern is coverage for medical evacuation if I would have to be hospitalized in another country.  Then look for a policy that has good coverage for those areas you are concerned about.  Lost luggage, flight delays, and all that stuff is nice to have, but I'm buying for the medical.  

Through the years, I've made 2 small claims with this company---one a visit to the medical center for my travel companion and the other when the ship couldn't get into port due to fog so we had expenses for that day.  In each case, the claim was paid promptly and in full.

16 hours ago, cantgetin said:

Since covid testing is no longer required to board, the only way you'll know is if you test yourself or you get sick on board and are tested.  There is no testing at the terminal any more unless you fail your health screen and are taken to "medical" to see whether you can cruise or not.  This is an area of the terminal prior to boarding.

Yes, I'm aware, that's not what I asked. 

16 hours ago, cantgetin said:

I would strongly suggest travel insurance purchased privately, not thru the cruise line.  THe reason I go private is that I can get a lot better coverage for the same or less money.  Purchased thru the cruise line will not cover your airfare or anything not purchased thru the line, and generally doesn't include much medical coverage.  The reason to get insurance in general is that you, a travel companion, or a family member not cruising could get any sort of injury or illness, while the old VV policy covered only covid.  So if you got the flu, you wouldn't be covered under the VV covid policy....and I don't even know if that policy is still in effect.  

I'm also well aware of how travel insurance works . I am specifically trying to understand what VV's policy is if one of us were to test positive for COVID and thus they wouldn't let that passenger board. 

My parents both have COVID.  Their trip leaves Jan. 11, 2023.  Besides having COVID, my Dad is experiencing health problems that are unlikely to resolve before Jan. 11.  They tried to transfer their trip to me and my son, but Viking will not allow it.  They purchased trip insurance through Viking, but it does not help them in this situation.  They are going to be out 7K.  It is very upsetting.  My mother is getting nowhere with Viking  trying to come to some accommodation. Does anyone have any suggestions for these frustrating circumstances?  Thanks!

3 hours ago, Trice71 said:

My parents both have COVID.  Their trip leaves Jan. 11, 2023.  Besides having COVID, my Dad is experiencing health problems that are unlikely to resolve before Jan. 11.  They tried to transfer their trip to me and my son, but Viking will not allow it.  They purchased trip insurance through Viking, but it does not help them in this situation.  They are going to be out 7K.  It is very upsetting.  My mother is getting nowhere with Viking  trying to come to some accommodation. Does anyone have any suggestions for these frustrating circumstances?  Thanks!

This is the Virgin Voyages section of CC; you will need to post your question in the Viking section of Cruise Critic to get some help.  Good luck. Sounds like an awful situation.  Hope your Dad recovers fully.  For what it's worth, Virgin does allow you to change passengers up to 48 hours before the cruise.  Just another way Virgin is different from the main cruise lines. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, katie8203 said:

What "health screen" can you fail? If no testing or vaccination check is happening, are you answering questions or what?

Questions on a form...VV has you do it on the app.  It basically asks if anyone in your party has had a fever, diarrhea, or covid symptoms in the last week.  If you say yes to anything, you are evaluated by the medical staff who makes the determination as to whether you  can cruise or not.