Princess Grand vs Sapphire and end of May vs mid-June

allesonwonderland

Am I splitting hairs here since these are sister ships and just a difference of a few weeks? Researching to book an anniversary trip in June 2024. I was set on Grand because it sailed over our actual anniversary, but then searching the boards I saw many who preferred the Sapphire over the Grand. Started looking at Sapphire sailings and we could do June 1 or 15. Itineraries are the same for both ships--Southbound from Whittier to Vancouver. Looking at adding some land time pre-cruise, so that's more where the end of May travels would come into play. (We might even be able to take advantage of the Memorial Day holiday and have more 'free' time off vs using a bunch of vacation.)

First time to Alaska, so I want to make the most of it in case we don't make it back.  Thanks in advance for your insight!

I have sailed the Sapphire the most but have sailed the Grand several times including last Christmas. I have to say the Grand looked great a year ago. No complaints.

I have a slight preference to Sapphire as it has a wider promenade deck and Skywalker's but would sail either ship in a heart beat to Alaska. They are both great ships for Alaska. They both have a covered pool area and a promenade deck.

Go with what works best with your plans. You will have a great trip on either ship. I personally would go with which ever ship was cheaper or works best with your dates. 

I haven't kept up with Denali and if it will be partially closed again this next year but overall, you can't get far into the park until after June 1. Not sure if that matters when making a decision.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

Thanks for the tips. Good to know you can't get too far into Denali until after June 1. One of my scenarios would have us there the week prior to that. Right now, both ships are the same price. I probably need to figure out the land portion. I'm usually a big DIY'er when it comes to cruise excursions, but doing the Princess land tour does seem easy...

On 12/16/2022 at 3:10 PM, Coral said:

I haven't kept up with Denali and if it will be partially closed again this next year but overall, you can't get far into the park until after June 1. Not sure if that matters when making a decision.

I did just read on the nps website that the closure of the Denali Park Road at Mile 43 is expected to remain in place through summer 2024. 

1 hour ago, allesonwonderland said:

I did just read on the nps website that the closure of the Denali Park Road at Mile 43 is expected to remain in place through summer 2024. 

You maybe best to look at visiting some other sites in Alaska such as Seward. It is a gorgeous town with easily 2 days worth of stuff to do there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, allesonwonderland said:

I live in Fairbanks, Alaska so have visited Denali Nation Park a great number of times.  I've always thought that a visitors who don't go into DNP at least as far as Eielson Visitor's Center (mile 66) cheat themselves of the Denali experience.  Since the NPS closed the road at Pretty Rocks we haven't bothered to drive down.

An interesting alternative to DNP is the Wrangell -- St. Elias National Park and Preserve.

• Like 1