viking venus from tilbury

yorkshire born sailor

We are sailing on northern lights cruise on 19 jan 22 from tilbury and looking for advice on getting there. I know we can get to tilbury town by train but how to get the last mile? are there usually taxis at the station? I have seen there is a bus from the station so maybe use that but might be a struggle with the cases.  Also in the event of a rail strike any advice on the best way to get there from central london?  My car will be at Gatwick for the return flight so not practical.

Copied from the April 29 2023 British Isles thread..

It is indeed easy to get to Tilbury by train, and cheap too.  But if you decide to go by train, get off at Grays (the station before Tilbury).  If you look at the map you'll see it looks about a mile further away, but four good reasons to get off at Grays

(1) there will be taxis waiting at Grays station (unlike Tilbury)

(2) because of the road layout at Tilbury, any taxi would have to backtrack about half the distance towards Grays to get over the railway tracks

(3) more trains call at Grays than Tilbury

(4) you can use oyster/contactless card/phone to cover the fare so you don't have to bother about buying a traditional paper ticket - which you do need if you go one stop further to Tilbury

• Like 5

2 hours ago, yorkshire born sailor said:

We are sailing on northern lights cruise on 19 jan 22 from tilbury and looking for advice on getting there. I know we can get to tilbury town by train but how to get the last mile? are there usually taxis at the station? I have seen there is a bus from the station so maybe use that but might be a struggle with the cases.  Also in the event of a rail strike any advice on the best way to get there from central london?  My car will be at Gatwick for the return flight so not practical.

Last time we cruise out of Tilbury, we stayed at the Travelodge Tower Hill. I priced and considered the convenience issues with bags on the train, with taxi to Fenchurch Stn and taxi to Tilbury.

We booked an executive car from Addison Lee, which was only marginally more expensive than the train/taxi option and way more convenient with door to door service. If coming down day of cruise, you could book a car from King's Cross straight to Tilbury.

We are flying in the day before our March NL cruise and we are thinking of getting a car service to take us to the Premiere Inn in East Thurrock and then a taxi to the port the next day.  In the past we’ve been spoiled.  We would fly in a few days early and stay with a friend who would deliver us to our port when cruising.  Otherwise we traveled by rental car.   Unfortunately COVID took our friend last year and so this is all new territory for us.  Our flight is long from California so we basically want to get near the port and start adjusting to the 8 time zones difference.  We have stayed in Premiere Inns around the UK before and found them clean and not too expensive. We have never taken a taxi in the UK.  Is payment by cash or credit card?  Does the taxi have to be prearranged or will the hotel call one for us when needed?  Sorry if I sound so naive.  This is all new to us and we do not want to take the train.

Does this sound doable?  Any advice  would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Edited by SoBaycruiser

5 minutes ago, Nippy Sweetie said:

Viking are picking us up at the airport and transporting us to the ship. Seems simpler.

That is what I was hoping to do but they will only let you use their transfer to the ship if you fly in the day of departure or are part of their pre extension.  Flying from California, we can’t take the chance of arriving the day of departure and making all the connections. I even asked if we stayed in a hotel nearby and returned to the airport on the day of departure could I take their transport and they said no.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SoBaycruiser said:

We are flying in the day before our March NL cruise and we are thinking of getting a car service to take us to the Premiere Inn in East Thurrock and then a taxi to the port the next day.  In the past we’ve been spoiled.  We would fly in a few days early and stay with a friend who would deliver us to our port when cruising.  Otherwise we traveled by rental car.   Unfortunately COVID took our friend last year and so this is all new territory for us.  Our flight is long from California so we basically want to get near the port and start adjusting to the 8 time zones difference.  We have stayed in Premiere Inns around the UK before and found them clean and not too expensive. We have never taken a taxi in the UK.  Is payment by cash or credit card?  Does the taxi have to be prearranged or will the hotel call one for us when needed?  Sorry if I sound so naive.  This is all new to us and we do not want to take the train.

Does this sound doable?  Any advice  would be appreciated.  Thanks.

You will find many taxis will take cards and also, but less welcome is cash these days. A tip paid by cash would probably be more welcome. For a journey to tilbury you would probably be best to book in advance, some of these would also take advance payments. You can find these online (see other responses) or they may be cards or recommendations in the hotel. Although quite basic my experience is that premier inns will always try to help. If you call for a taxi straightaway it is likely to be much more expensive.

1 hour ago, yorkshire born sailor said:

You will find many taxis will take cards and also, but less welcome is cash these days. A tip paid by cash would probably be more welcome. For a journey to tilbury you would probably be best to book in advance, some of these would also take advance payments. You can find these online (see other responses) or they may be cards or recommendations in the hotel. Although quite basic my experience is that premier inns will always try to help. If you call for a taxi straightaway it is likely to be much more expensive.

Thanks, that is very helpful.  Just to be sure I understand you , by saying “call for a taxi straightaway”, you mean calling at the moment we need it rather than arrange a pickup time ahead, correct?

On 12/19/2022 at 12:27 PM, Heidi13 said:

We booked an executive car from Addison Lee, which was only marginally more expensive than the train/taxi option and way more convenient with door to door service. If coming down day of cruise, you could book a car from King's Cross straight to Tilbury.

I just checked their website and their quote was 86 GBP from Kings Cross to Port of Tillbury.  I agree door to door service is super convenient, but I wonder how much the tube/train would cost.  Any idea?

46 minutes ago, The Other Tom said:

I just checked their website and their quote was 86 GBP from Kings Cross to Port of Tillbury.  I agree door to door service is super convenient, but I wonder how much the tube/train would cost.  Any idea?

We did the journey in 2017 from Tower Hill, with Addison Lee charging about 55 quid. A taxi from King's Cross cost us about 20 quid. To taxi from the hotel to Fenchurch Street, train fare and taxi to Tilbury was going to be 40 - 45 quid.

Rather than lugging bags in/out of taxis and onto the train, which has minimum storage, the additional 10 - 15 quid for an executive car was definitely worth it.

To use the train to Tilbury, you need to get from Kings Cross to Fenchurch Street, so either a Hackney Cab or the Tube. The Tube is not fun with bags. Based on previous experience, a taxi from King's Cross cou;d be 20 - 25 quid to Fenchurch St Stn.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SoBaycruiser said:

Thanks, that is very helpful.  Just to be sure I understand you , by saying “call for a taxi straightaway”, you mean calling at the moment we need it rather than arrange a pickup time ahead, correct?

Exactly, so flagging one down or calling from hotel - possibly. That said my experience with London taxis/private hire is pre pandemic but generally most businesses would prefer card to cash.

18 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We did the journey in 2017 from Tower Hill, with Addison Lee charging about 55 quid. A taxi from King's Cross cost us about 20 quid. To taxi from the hotel to Fenchurch Street, train fare and taxi to Tilbury was going to be 40 - 45 quid.

Rather than lugging bags in/out of taxis and onto the train, which has minimum storage, the additional 10 - 15 quid for an executive car was definitely worth it.

To use the train to Tilbury, you need to get from Kings Cross to Fenchurch Street, so either a Hackney Cab or the Tube. The Tube is not fun with bags. Based on previous experience, a taxi from King's Cross cou;d be 20 - 25 quid to Fenchurch St Stn.

That makes good sense, it’s all individual circumstances and what we are all willing to put up with. We are staying a short walk from fenchurch street so happy to do train. Wouldn’t like to struggle on the underground with suitcases though.

• Like 1

Rail fare from Kings Cross to Grays.  The adult fare is £9.10 in peak time (Monday to Friday from 0630 to 0930 and from 1600 to 1900.).  At any other time the off peak fare is £8.10

The simple journey is an eastbound Hammersmith line train to West Ham, then the C2C train to Grays.  Just one easy change.  There are lifts at these stations so not arduous with luggage.

This is simpler and cheaper (and probably just as quick) as trying to get across the City in a cab to Fenchurch Street.

The Hammersmith line trains are "normal" size (not small tube size) and are air conditioned.

Using Grays (not Tilbury) is recommended because there will be taxis outside the station.  Tilbury station is closer “as the crow flies” but because the taxi has to backtrack to get over the rail lines, it is (in practice) easier from Grays.

Note.  This is the fare using a contactless bank card or phone to open the platform gates (and not buy a paper ticket at all).  Buying a paper ticket is possible but will cost much more.

• Like 1

We've used Addison Lee - not to Tilbury, but to Greenwich - and would highly recommend that company.  As a proportion of what your cruise is costing you, the price of a private car door-to-door and not having to drag your cases around, is surely worth it!   In January this year our cruise ended in Tilbury and we paid about £350 for a local taxi to come and pick us up... we live in Lancashire.  It was worth every penny!  The trains are a nightmare at the moment and I can't see things improving any time soon.  Treat yourself!  😉 Good luck!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Does anyone knows how far is the walk, with large luggage in tow, from Tilbury cruise terminal to the taxi/Uber/car service pickup stand, vs to train station...?

Thanks,

In Tilbury you disembark into an old cargo shed, where you pick up your cases. Taxis/Ubers/Executive cars are available in the small pick-up/drop-off area right outside the cargo shed. The closest train station is about 1 mile.

3 hours ago, NavyCruiser said:

Does anyone knows how far is the walk, with large luggage in tow, from Tilbury cruise terminal to the taxi/Uber/car service pickup stand, vs to train station...?

Maybe this will help.  This is the reverse of what you asked but good info nonetheless. 

Edited by The Other Tom

On 12/20/2022 at 4:31 PM, SoBaycruiser said:

We have stayed in Premiere Inns around the UK before and found them clean and not too expensive. We have never taken a taxi in the UK.  Is payment by cash or credit card?  Does the taxi have to be prearranged or will the hotel call one for us when needed

Best to pre book, Google taxi firms in the area, premier inns are good for what they are but budget, they don't have a lot of the usual hotel services. 

Payment is by whatever the firm accepts. Don't worry about a tip unless the driver goes above and beyond what is expected. Usual is to round up to nearest banknote, but that is mainly to avoid both sides having the hassle of coins

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I notice that there is never mention of using Gravesend train station and then the short walk down the pedestrian only high street to the walk on ferry which dock at the international cruise ship dock.  I like that the shopping district offers a chance to buy last minute things to take aboard like a couple bottles of wine or tasty candy etc. Is there some reason?  I am able bodied and certainly use to moving bags around on trains etc

what hesitation is there to suggesting the little ferry

18 hours ago, Meander Ingwa said:

I notice that there is never mention of using Gravesend train station and then the short walk down the pedestrian only high street to the walk on ferry which dock at the international cruise ship dock.  I like that the shopping district offers a chance to buy last minute things to take aboard like a couple bottles of wine or tasty candy etc. Is there some reason?  I am able bodied and certainly use to moving bags around on trains etc

what hesitation is there to suggesting the little ferry

Personally, at this stage of life we prefer comfort and convenience over penny pinching.

My issues with using the ferry with bags is both the distance and the potential for a fairly steep incline to/from the ferry. The tidal range at Tilbury can be up to 20'. If arriving at low tide, I have no desire to haul multiple cases and carry-on bags up a 20' incline.

From memory the Gravesend Station is also about 1/3 mile from the pier, so the total distance would be close to 1/2 mile.