Gluten sensitive on MSC

KKB

OK...I CAN eat gluten, but I do better if I avoid it, particularly things where wheat is the main ingredient.

I have been told that in Europe I may find that their products do not bother me as they do not use GMOs in there.

I see that pasta is homemade on MSC.

I am sailing the Caribbean in Feb & Europe in May on MSC.

I am assuming that they get their supplies in FL for my Caribbean cruise so it would be no different than any other line out of FL.

But I am wondering if perhaps sailing out of Europe I may see less issues.

I know, I know, no one can tell me for sure...and likely I will try & see how things go.

Wondering if others have sailed MSC with gluten sensitivities.

Travel friend is Gluten Intolerant/Sensitive.

MSC does a great job, as Jagr linked....fill out the form for dietary needs.

Some MSC ships have a Gluten Free kitchen.

European wheat products do have less issues in general, but it is not GMO related...it is the lack of herbicide/pesticide/ fertilizer/germination sequencing products...which are not allowed in EU, but are widely used in the USA.

In the MDR on MSC USA port cruises,  the MDR lead for your area will bring you a special GF menu for you to order for the next night's dinner. At MDR for breakfast/lunch just ask for GF menu.

The buffet is not always well labeled, plus if not made in a GF kitchen, they will not mark it as GF...but it might still be OK for you. YMMV

Note: the pizza crust on MSC Caribbean ships does cause my friend issues...even a couple of bites.

FYI- they have no problems eating pizza/bread in Europe...so they know there are differences.

Cheers, enjoy your cruise! 

• Like 1

On 12/19/2022 at 2:04 PM, KKB said:

OK...I CAN eat gluten, but I do better if I avoid it, particularly things where wheat is the main ingredient.

I have been told that in Europe I may find that their products do not bother me as they do not use GMOs in there.

I see that pasta is homemade on MSC.

I am sailing the Caribbean in Feb & Europe in May on MSC.

I am assuming that they get their supplies in FL for my Caribbean cruise so it would be no different than any other line out of FL.

But I am wondering if perhaps sailing out of Europe I may see less issues.

I know, I know, no one can tell me for sure...and likely I will try & see how things go.

Wondering if others have sailed MSC with gluten sensitivities.

MSC takes very serious the issue of Gluten sensitivity. My husband had the diagnose of having Gluten allergies before a cruise with MSC. We have informed the cruise line and he was served from a completely separated menu and with one person bringing his food to the table. They did everything to avoid contamination. It was a lot of effort from MSC because in case of a real allergy it can be life threatening. Fortunately a couple of months later another diagnosis for my husband found out that he did not have any gluten allergy. Unfortunately nowadays doctors are diagnosing this condition everywhere and it is not always the reason for the symptoms.

In your case you said, you are not really sensitive to Gluten but prefer not to eat food containing gluten. Maybe you could find out at the beginning of your cruise if that food is going to be available, for example because other guests do really need to eat gluten-free. In that case it might not be too much  extra work for the cooks to prepare one more gluten free food for you. If there are no other guests with the condition,  you might want to reconsider, for the sake of the crew involved in the cooking and serving the gluten free food, if you could not renounce to your preference for the time of your cruise. The crew at MSC ships work a lot and anything we could do to relieve them from additional work is a good action. 

We try to relieve them from additional work for example requesting, that no turn down service in the evening shall be done in our cabin. It is nice to have everything fresh made when you return to your cabin, but we do not really need it. Just my humble opinion.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin

3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

MSC takes very serious the issue of Gluten sensitivity. My husband had the diagnose of having Gluten allergies before a cruise with MSC. We have informed the cruise line and he was served from a completely separated menu and with one person bringing his food to the table. They did everything to avoid contamination. It was a lot of effort from MSC because in case of a real allergy it can be life threatening. Fortunately a couple of months later another diagnosis for my husband found out that he did not have any gluten allergy. Unfortunately nowadays doctors are diagnosing this condition everywhere and it is not always the reason for the symptoms.

In your case you said, you are not really sensitive to Gluten but prefer not to eat food containing gluten. Maybe you could find out at the beginning of your cruise if that food is going to be available, for example because other guests do really need to eat gluten-free. In that case it might not be too much  extra work for the cooks to prepare one more gluten free food for you. If there are no other guests with the condition,  you might want to reconsider, for the sake of the crew involved in the cooking and serving the gluten free food, if you could not renounce to your preference for the time of your cruise. The crew at MSC ships work a lot and anything we could do to relieve them from additional work is a good action. 

We try to relieve them from additional work for example requesting, that no turn down service in the evening shall be done in our cabin. It is nice to have everything fresh made when you return to your cabin, but we do not really need it. Just my humble opinion.

Ivi

Princess did a PHENOMENAL job w/ my gluten sensitivity...and there was no issue if I choose to have something with gluten. One of our traveling companions was celiac, so no guilt when they prepared things for me.

NCL was horrid. They would not allow me to have even a sauce with gluten (which is no issue for me...for me it is items heavy in gluten, and the more I have, the worse my symptoms...so gluten free pastas & breads are helpful). I removed it from my account they were so limiting. They were telling me what I could have...yeah, I already know that.

The big advantage on MSC is the pasta offerings...perhaps I will talk to them upon embarkation.

There is no need to prepare my food in a gluten free environment.

Thanks for your perspective...the crew works hard enough & while it is fantastic they work hard to be gluten free (I know several people with celiac), no need to go to such lengths for me.

• Thanks 1