First-time solo cruiser wondering about dance activities on MSC

Fruitbats

I'm a first-time cruiser currently looking at a solo Caribbean cruise with MSC (probably the Meraviglia). I've been checking out daily planners of previous cruises, and while I have no problem with the thought of going to most of the possible activities by myself, I'm wondering if anyone knows if I would be able to go to the dance classes as a solo?

Well obviously I can, but I mean is it feasible? Is this something that can reasonably be done without bringing my own dance partner? I don't want to be an inconvenience to the instructor or other attendees

All in all, the dance community is very friendly and welcoming of new solo dancers.  (Exceptions are park district programs; most of them require coming as a couple/pair.)  Dance studios generally push you to rotate partners with other attendees, to get you to adapt to different people's dancing styles.  While dancing only with the person you came with is permitted, it's generally discouraged, because it goes against the spirit of social dancing.

That's on land.  At sea, it's anybody's guess.  I've been lucky for the most part, and had little trouble finding women to dance with on my cruises (Carnival so far).  MSC is fairly traditionalist, so most dancers you encounter will be familiar with the dance etiquette. Which means you won't have a problem finding a willing dance partner, as long as you understand that a dance is just that.  Then again, your best bet is to come to the dance venue early, track down the instructor, and ask them how they handle solos.  Then go from there.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

Oh man, I usually like to be a bit ahead of schedule for everything I do, but honestly I didn't even consider going early and simply asking the instructor! My vacation brain is setting in early I guess

Thank you, I feel much better about this already!

10 hours ago, oakridger said:

Hello @Fruitbats!  Welcome to Cruise Critic!  There is a bunch of good information to be found here so read and enjoy!

~Nancy, another solo cruiser (usually)

Thank you! I'm excited to learn about what is going to be a very new experience for me!

3 hours ago, Dancer Bob said:

What kind of dance experience do you have? Can you tell from the daily planners what kind of classes they were? If they were on deck, they were probably line dances structured without partners.

Very little! But I want to try new things.

The planner had all kinds throughout the days - bachata, salsa, milonga, rock and roll, disco, merengue, cha cha cha - and that was just on a 3-day cruise. Not that I'll be going to all of them, of course. And yes, they were all scheduled on the deck; the prospect of a line dance format would be great for me, hopefully there's a lot of that. 

Milonga could mean Argentine Tango, which is typically a dance done with partners who don't switch. The others could be either, but I suspect mostly line dancing.

European cruise lines have much more emphasis on actual dancing, rather than the excuse for heavy drinking and drunken stumbing you see on American ships.