Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

15 hours ago, mstadleraz said:

To the Aussies and Kiwis on board the cruise. I purchased granola bars in Hawaii when in port. Are these allowed in both or either country when disembarking? I have read conflicting information online. Nature Valley Sweet and Salty Nut and Fruit-Nut.

The ship will advise what requirements have been enacted by the local authorities. In addition to the National Standards, you also have to consider the interpretations made by the local authorities.

Therefore, always best to read what is posted in the Viking Daily and if you think it is acceptable to take packaged bars ashore, declare to the local authorities upon leaving the ship.

To the Aussies and Kiwis on board the cruise. I purchased granola bars in Hawaii when in port. Are these allowed in both or either country when disembarking? I have read conflicting information online. Nature Valley Sweet and Salty Nut and Fruit-Nut.

Suggest you check this site

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/bring-send-to-nz/bringing-and-posting-items-to-nz/check-if-you-can-bring-or-send-an-item-to-nz/

The short answer is, if in doubt declare all you have. 
The fines are instant and not appealable.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tawa2 said:

Suggest you check this site

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/bring-send-to-nz/bringing-and-posting-items-to-nz/check-if-you-can-bring-or-send-an-item-to-nz/

The short answer is, if in doubt declare all you have. 
The fines are instant and not appealable.

Yes, I had already been on the site but the disclaimer is very vague (government speak is never very clear and full of ambiguity). You would think a package granola bar would not be an issue. However, I do not know what the Kiwis have encountered which has caused the ambiguity. I also understand about declaring as Viking has been very clear about this fact.

Edited by mstadleraz
clarification of comment

I'll respond here in case I don't see you today (before we reach Auckland).

Processed and packaged foods, including nuts, are generally OK to bring ashore.

HOWEVER, make sure you declare them and have them available to show to the officer.

2 hours ago, cruising denise said:

Given the terrible storm and flooding, what is the impact to your NZ ports?  Are you still scheduled to reach them all?  What about shore excursions?  Has the passage been rough seas?

@mbviking2023  Thanks for the post on the 22/23 roll call.   For anyone else who is interested in their status in NZ given the storm and flooding, here is their recent post on the other forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2767734-december-22-2022-world-cruise-ft-lauderdale-to-london-incudes-la-dep-jan-8th/?do=findComment&comment=64736280

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KaySuth said:

I'll respond here in case I don't see you today (before we reach Auckland).

Processed and packaged foods, including nuts, are generally OK to bring ashore.

HOWEVER, make sure you declare them and have them available to show to the officer.

Thank you.

I am curious if there are any passengers on the Neptune who were also on the Star WC last year? We had 500 passengers last year so we never had any problems getting seats at the shows, reservations at the restaurants, or seats in the Explorers Lounge. What is the biggest differences with a full ship? 

I'm having a miserable time trying to install the eSim from Airalo.  Anyone able to do that?

I'm in 6007 if you did it and want to ring me up.

Thanks.

UPDATE:  Turns out our phones are locked to ATT and we didn't know we couldn't use the eSim.  

Edited by mbviking2023
new information

1 hour ago, mstadleraz said:

A group of us completed the Auckland Coast to Coast walk yesterday! The highligbt was One Tree Hill. We passed through several parks and neighborhoods. We thoroughly enjoyed the company during this adventure.

20230201_133909.jpg

20230201_093954.jpg

Did you book through a 3rd party, or was this a Viking excursion? I think I remember on the roll call folks talking about this.

Edited by BobCatter

4 minutes ago, Goosebear Mum said:

I think they used the route published online, and did it themselves, saying others could join them.  

That is correct. It a City of Auckland walking tour from one coast to the other. There are markers sgowing the path; however, we made some slight adjustments.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, cruising denise said:

How long is it?

We took out time and stopped for a lumch. If you want, 3.5 to 4.5 hours. We took a little longer as we were having conversations and missed a turn or two :-). We took the transit bus back.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, mstadleraz said:

We took out time and stopped for a lumch. If you want, 3.5 to 4.5 hours. We took a little longer as we were having conversations and missed a turn or two :-). We took the transit bus back.

Yesterday was an absolutely fantastic “excursion” and we say a special thank you to Mark for organizing. Loved all we saw and all the conversations during the 13 mile (+/-) and 30,000 steps. Great day!

Edye & Howie

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 1/31/2023 at 2:34 PM, mbviking2023 said:

I'm having a miserable time trying to install the eSim from Airalo.  Anyone able to do that?

I'm in 6007 if you did it and want to ring me up.

Thanks.

UPDATE:  Turns out our phones are locked to ATT and we didn't know we couldn't use the eSim.  

Yep, we have been using Airalo, it works beautifully.  Both DH and I were able to communicate via messenger when we got separated in Auckland yesterday.  

• Like 3

We just did the Seal and wine excursion in Wellington. Rode for 2 1/2 hours to see 3 dozen seals. Then back.  Granted the winery stop and lunch was superb. Our driver was scary. Speeding, turning around to talk with us, waving hands to demonstrate. All while blowing through scary mountain pass. And tossing us around in a Toyota mini van.

Viking needs to drop this excursion, or, detail that you will spend over 8 hours to see a few seals, all while risking your life with a crazy driver.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Floater69 said:

We just did the Seal and wine excursion in Wellington. Rode for 2 1/2 hours to see 3 dozen seals. Then back.  Granted the winery stop and lunch was superb. Our driver was scary. Speeding, turning around to talk with us, waving hands to demonstrate. All while blowing through scary mountain pass. And tossing us around in a Toyota mini van.

Viking needs to drop this excursion, or, detail that you will spend over 8 hours to see a few seals, all while risking your life with a crazy driver.

The driving description is not an exaggeration. 😬 😱 Those seals were adorable tho! 🦭 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Floater69 said:

If you have concerns regarding the driver, these should be addressed with the Shore-ex Manager, as Viking always encourage shore-ex feedback.

Discounting the driver, with respect to the tour description, you experienced exactly what I expected, based on my research regarding this tour. While the specific location of the seal colony isn't named, they did mention a lighthouse, so I quickly determined it was a Cape Pallister, which my notes indicate is about 75 miles from the port. The tour description mentions crossing Remutaka Mountain, so when I checked Google Maps, it showed a 2-lane mountainous road with lots of turns. Based on Wellington traffic and the mountain road, I figured at least 2 - 3 hrs to the Seal Colony.

Since the tour is listed as 7 hrs, I figured about 45 mins at each of the seal colony and the winery. About 5 hrs city and mountain driving didn't seem worthwhile to get about 1.5 - 2 hrs at the tour highlights. For this reason we did not consider this tour.

Although it doesn't include a winery, the Tongue Point tour, based on tour descriptions, seemed a better option for viewing seals.

• Like 1

To those who are currently sailing, does Australia still require COVID testing prior to passengers visiting Australian ports?  Assumedly on a ship of 930 people, at least one person will test positive....any indication what Viking's requirement will then be?  Will any passengers who might test positive be quarantined in their cabin??  Not sailing till next year but very interested to hear how this gets handled.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

If you have concerns regarding the driver, these should be addressed with the Shore-ex Manager, as Viking always encourage shore-ex feedback.

Discounting the driver, with respect to the tour description, you experienced exactly what I expected, based on my research regarding this tour. While the specific location of the seal colony isn't named, they did mention a lighthouse, so I quickly determined it was a Cape Pallister, which my notes indicate is about 75 miles from the port. The tour description mentions crossing Remutaka Mountain, so when I checked Google Maps, it showed a 2-lane mountainous road with lots of turns. Based on Wellington traffic and the mountain road, I figured at least 2 - 3 hrs to the Seal Colony.

Since the tour is listed as 7 hrs, I figured about 45 mins at each of the seal colony and the winery. About 5 hrs city and mountain driving didn't seem worthwhile to get about 1.5 - 2 hrs at the tour highlights. For this reason we did not consider this tour.

Although it doesn't include a winery, the Tongue Point tour, based on tour descriptions, seemed a better option for viewing seals.

I did not have the same opinion of this tour.  Yes, there was a lot of driving, but we also got to see some of the most spectacular scenery ever, we saw parts of New Zealand that I never imagined were like this..  The driver drove quickly and competently, having frequently driven over the pass.  I had no concerns about it.  
We stopped halfway for tea at The Royal Hotel, a charming hotel in a town I’d have loved to explore further, but unfortunately due to time restraints could not.  I’d kill for their scone recipe.

I could have watched the seals play for hours.  They were entertaining, and put on a show for us.  There were a lot of pups enjoying the sunny, albeit very windy weather.
The winery was fabulous, as was our meal.  We used this stop to get rid of our remaining NZ$ for wine.  
In all, just another opinion of the same tour.  I’d do it again, including with the same driver. 

Edited by Mich3554
  • Like 2