Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

I'm just finishing up Endurance, and agree that it's very well written.  In addition, I worked at McMurdo Station, Antarctica from October 2021 - March 2022 and have been on one of the Viking Antarctica cruises.  Both Antarctica experiences are very different, but the Viking trip was a wonderful experience all around.  Great ship, great crew, landings, scenery and I saw more penguins than I would have ever seen at McMurdo.  Just being in Antarctica makes it worthwhile.

Maria

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lilyskittymom said:

I'm just finishing up Endurance, and agree that it's very well written.  In addition, I worked at McMurdo Station, Antarctica from October 2021 - March 2022 and have been on one of the Viking Antarctica cruises.  Both Antarctica experiences are very different, but the Viking trip was a wonderful experience all around.  Great ship, great crew, landings, scenery and I saw more penguins than I would have ever seen at McMurdo.  Just being in Antarctica makes it worthwhile.

Maria

Wow, thanks for sharing your experiences.  I'm thinking maybe seeing the Penguin Parade on Phillip Island will satisfy my longing to see penguins!!  What were you doing at McMurdo?

40 minutes ago, cruising denise said:

Wait, so you read this book in high school and STILL went on to a career on the seas!  

I am still just blown away by the fact that Shackleton and the crew even undertook this expedition....in 1915...

In 1915 they had skills and equipment....  'And far fewer rules.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cruising denise said:

Wow, thanks for sharing your experiences.  I'm thinking maybe seeing the Penguin Parade on Phillip Island will satisfy my longing to see penguins!!  What were you doing at McMurdo?

I was a Lieutenant with the Antarctic Fire Department.  McMurdo is the largest research station on the continent with a summer population that can be as high as 1,200 people.  Only about 20% are researchers.  The rest of us are there to keep the lights on, the water flowing, the vehicles running, and the airfields operational.  It's an amazing place to work with it's own unique set of challenges.

Maria

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lilyskittymom said:

I was a Lieutenant with the Antarctic Fire Department.  McMurdo is the largest research station on the continent with a summer population that can be as high as 1,200 people.  Only about 20% are researchers.  The rest of us are there to keep the lights on, the water flowing, the vehicles running, and the airfields operational.  It's an amazing place to work with it's own unique set of challenges.

Maria

Thanks, Maria - very interesting.  A once in a lifetime experience, must have been.  I see you were on Cultural Cuba in 2019 - we went on that cruise in early November that year - when did you go?  We were so happy we went while the window was open.  I see you also made Waterways of the Tsars, which we originally had booked for last summer....

28 minutes ago, cruising denise said:

Thanks, Maria - very interesting.  A once in a lifetime experience, must have been.  I see you were on Cultural Cuba in 2019 - we went on that cruise in early November that year - when did you go?  We were so happy we went while the window was open.  I see you also made Waterways of the Tsars, which we originally had booked for last summer....

I'm considering going back to work in Antarctica in a year or two.

2019 was a good year for travel - Cuba in January and Russia in July.  We really enjoyed Russia for the same reason we liked China - they have a similar format where Viking guides travel with you. Unfortunately, both itineraries are off the table.

Maria

Edited by Lilyskittymom

25 minutes ago, Lilyskittymom said:

I'm considering going back to work in Antarctica in a year or two.

2019 was a good year for travel - Cuba in January and Russia in July.  We really enjoyed Russia for the same reason we liked China - they have a similar format where Viking guides travel with you. Unfortunately, both itineraries are off the table.

Maria

We did the Rhine River Getaway summer of 2019 and the post extension in Switzerland which was fabulous.  Also with a Viking guide for all 3 days.  Took the Glacier Express to Zermatt, saw the Matterhorn from Gornegrat, ended in Zurich.  What a wonderful trip that was.

• Like 1

We have left our house unattended for over a month, with a trusted family member keeping an eye on the place and checking our mail, etc. 

What do we need to do to leave for 6 months? Or what are you doing while you are on this adventure?

For context, we are in the north Dallas suburbs.

Weather during Dec-May can be an occasional deep freeze/ice and/or tornadoes/high winds/hail.

We live in a nice area, but not gated. We know our neighbors and they know us. What other precautions can we take? For our trips we always have timers on the lights, we have Ring security cams and alarms. And the afore-mentioned family member.

Or we could sell the house. I guess. 🙂

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Sell the house and live in your car between cruises.🥃

An excellent approach to be able to afford a second world cruise.  If it were Andy ( @Heidi13) I think he and Judi would have better options like living in the RV....

Seriously, I highly recommend combing through the December 22, 2022 World Cruise roll call which has ~350+ pages of well thought through logistics on all kinds of relevant topics....  I recommend starting at the beginning and working your way all the way through.  I fully confess I haven't done this yet but will be doing as soon as we return from our 3-week road trip through Ireland in May.  I only started following it around p. 250 once we booked the 23/24 Sky WC...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2767734-december-22-2022-world-cruise-ft-lauderdale-to-london-incudes-la-dep-jan-8th/page/347/

39 minutes ago, cruising denise said:

Seriously, I highly recommend combing through the December 22, 2022 World Cruise roll call which has ~350+ pages of well thought through logistics on all kinds of relevant topics....  I recommend starting at the beginning and working your way all the way through.  I fully confess I haven't done this yet but will be doing as soon as we return from our 3-week road trip through Ireland in May.  I only started following it around p. 250 once we booked the 23/24 Sky WC...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2767734-december-22-2022-world-cruise-ft-lauderdale-to-london-incudes-la-dep-jan-8th/page/347/

I second Denise's suggestion. My wife and I are also on the 23/24 Sky WC and we have been lurking on the roll call Denise listed , this thread, and also the World Cruising Forum as well as posting on our own roll calls. I did go through all the 8600+ (and still increasing) posts (I think my wife went through most of them). There is a lot of information there as well as links to some current (we have been actively reading 9 different blogs) and past blogs (for more research. You can search and find discussions on many topics of interest for planning, etc. Well worth the time. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Penspack said:

I second Denise's suggestion. My wife and I are also on the 23/24 Sky WC and we have been lurking on the roll call Denise listed , this thread, and also the World Cruising Forum as well as posting on our own roll calls. I did go through all the 8600+ (and still increasing) posts (I think my wife went through most of them). There is a lot of information there as well as links to some current (we have been actively reading 9 different blogs) and past blogs (for more research. You can search and find discussions on many topics of interest for planning, etc. Well worth the time. 

and Ed and I are looking forward to meeting you and Debbie on board!  

Cochin, India was a major disappointment. Veritable cesspool of trash/litter everywhere, even covering the beaches where we visited the "fresh" seafood market. The stench was unbearable. Fish covered in flies. Shrimp in a tub with no ice....just amazing.

2 hours ago, Floater69 said:

Cochin, India was a major disappointment. Veritable cesspool of trash/litter everywhere, even covering the beaches where we visited the "fresh" seafood market. The stench was unbearable. Fish covered in flies. Shrimp in a tub with no ice....just amazing.

@Floater69 if you do not have anything positive to say. I recommend you do not comment. I rarely criticize another but it seems you only post negative comments. Why not just post positive comments?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mstadleraz said:

@Floater69 if you do not have anything positive to say. I recommend you do not comment. I rarely criticize another but it seems you only post negative comments. Why not just post positive comments?

That would be a pity.  I'm enjoying a number of the Neptune's WC blogs including Floater69.  Different people have differing perspectives - doesn't mean any of 'em are wrong!. It's surely up to the reader to pick the bones out of all. I skip on by a number of blogs that concentrate on things that have no personal interest to me, such as the more golf centric ones, but appreciate that all the writers will have taken time and trouble to share their views and that their posts may be of great interest to others.    

• Like 7