Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

1 hour ago, Cubs Fan said:

We leave July 4th for the Adriatic & Mediterranean Sojourn with a 2 day pre-extension in Istanbul.  Thank you for your posts as we will visit some of the same places you have recorded.  We have never been to Venice and will have 3 days there.  Trying to figure out the best way to get from our docking site in Fusina to do a tour on our own in theJewish Ghetto area.  If you have any experience with the boats I have been reading about,I would appreciate it.  Love your trip!

We were just in Venice in October, on the Ancient Adriatic Treasures (Venice to Istanbul).  We did the pre- in Venice.  While the JW Marriott was a beautiful property, it was on an island that was about a 20 minute water shuttle ride away.  The water shuttles ran frequently, and the hotel had a beautiful rooftop restaurant, so it wasn't too much of a problem.  We were originally supposed to be docked in Fusina but at the last minute we were moved to Chioggia (much further out of central Venice)  But I digress, that's a whole 'nother story....As far as a tour of the Jewish Ghetto area, we had a fantastic private tour on our couple of days there before the cruise.  Venezia Autentica was the tour group:  https://veneziaautentica.com/

Our tourguide was Sebastian (who I think may be the owner of the company).  Our tour was a 2-hour tour, which combined their walking tour (Off the Beaten Path, a 90-minute walking tour), plus a 30-minute gondola ride.  Sebastian is a native Venetian, and the Jewish Ghetto area was part of the walking tour.  He explained that this was where he grew up playing soccer as a young child, and sure enough, in the square were many kids playing, watched by moms and grandmoms...

https://experience.veneziaautentica.com/experience/walk-and-row-in-venice/

(you can also just do the 90 minute walking tour)

Sebastian also was extremely flexible and helpful.  We sought out a tourguide for Doge's Palace and the Basilica.  These tours are not his company's forte, as so many others do it, but Sebastian is well connected within the Venetian tourguide community, and set this up for us. Unfortunately when the ship's location was changed from Fusina to Chioggia, all our plans were thrown off.  Sebastian worked with us to find another guide for a different day and went out of his way to help us.  

If you have specific wishes and interests, I have no doubt you can work directly with Sebastian to create a custom tour.  If you do reach out, please mention that we went with him on the Off the Beaten Path tour back in October - there were 3 of us - I'm sure he would remember all the rescheduling issues we had that he helped with!

I can't recommend them highly enough.  Great organization, and completely local.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mbviking2023 said:

Three new posts up from our days in Athens, Sicily, and Naples (more from Sorrento and Pompeii, but we docked in Naples.  Oh wait, you all knew that.

http://twohappysloths.com

20230423_112618.jpg

20230425_123449.jpg

20230425_124138.jpg

20230426_105131.jpg

Mosaic.jpg

We thoroughly enjoyed movie night. You did an outstanding job and would like to learn more about any future endeavors when they occur. Mark and Patty...

• Like 1

On 4/29/2023 at 10:19 PM, Little Monty said:

Well done to you for a good attitude and a positive outlook. Is on-board testing still happening or did you test yourself ? Does everyone have to test before they board ?

We board in Barcelona in June and Viking haven't sent us any information about testing (not as yet anyway). 

Best wishes, LM

I had symptoms, was concerned and went to the med center and got tested.  Idiot me, I forgot to throw tests into my bag before we left.

No, no testing before or on board unless requested.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, nevetsnehoc said:

Hi!

We are booked on Sky 23/24 WC and wonder if you can share how you put together the tour via Memphis tours to the Taj? (lcohen51@gmail.com)

Just be aware that if you stop at a spice market, the TSA equivalent in India WILL NOT allow you to fly with spices in carry on luggage.

There is NOTHING in the New Delhi airport about this (nor was there in Cochin when we boarded) about spices being contraband.  We were lucky in that I had time to go back and check our bag.  I know at least 2 other people who traveled with us who got the spices they bought tossed.

All 3 of our bags got snagged going through security, we were with 2 backpacks and a carry on bag.  My tweezers got snagged.  DH had an electrical adapter in his backpack, and the spices we had put in the carry on bag.

3 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

Just be aware that if you stop at a spice market, the TSA equivalent in India WILL NOT allow you to fly with spices in carry on luggage.

There is NOTHING in the New Delhi airport about this (nor was there in Cochin when we boarded) about spices being contraband.  We were lucky in that I had time to go back and check our bag.  I know at least 2 other people who traveled with us who got the spices they bought tossed.

All 3 of our bags got snagged going through security, we were with 2 backpacks and a carry on bag.  My tweezers got snagged.  DH had an electrical adapter in his backpack, and the spices we had put in the carry on bag.

Thanks for the warning!!!! Besides that, was the time and effort worth it to see the Taj Mahal?  Did you go at sunrise and if you did, were you able to see some of the interior? Thank you!

3 hours ago, nevetsnehoc said:

Thanks for the warning!!!! Besides that, was the time and effort worth it to see the Taj Mahal?  Did you go at sunrise and if you did, were you able to see some of the interior? Thank you!

Yes, yes and yes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nevetsnehoc said:

Absolutely.  We booked it on our own.  We did not go at sunrise.  We got into Delhi at 2 am, and the driver was picking us up at 9.  It was a 3+ hour drive there, and a very long day.  I believe it was nearly 11 when we got back to the hotel.

Very worth it, glad we made the effort.

• Like 1

Wondering if those of you who are currently on the WC will continue to monitor this forum after you return?  As those of us who are starting to gear up for 23/24 WC have so many questions, and though many have been answered via the 22/23 roll call, and this forum (and others!), I'm sure other questions will still arise.  Many of you have been so generous with your time, even while you're on the cruise - it would be wonderful for us if you might still be available to answer questions after you return.  Please let me know what you think!  Thank you!

• Like 3

we were on the 2019 WC...I DO regret not taking the trip to Taj Mahal and at that time Viking was offering one.  I did not know that I would be very underwhelmed by the India ports.  I enjoyed Goa and Mumbai.

On 5/1/2023 at 11:45 AM, cruising denise said:

Wondering if those of you who are currently on the WC will continue to monitor this forum after you return?  As those of us who are starting to gear up for 23/24 WC have so many questions, and though many have been answered via the 22/23 roll call,

I may not monitor but can always be reached at djnick913@aol.com.  You're right, the 22/23 roll call answered MANY questions.  An EXCELLENT reference.  But also a chore to search.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2023 at 4:45 PM, cruising denise said:

Wondering if those of you who are currently on the WC will continue to monitor this forum after you return?  As those of us who are starting to gear up for 23/24 WC have so many questions, and though many have been answered via the 22/23 roll call, and this forum (and others!), I'm sure other questions will still arise.  Many of you have been so generous with your time, even while you're on the cruise - it would be wonderful for us if you might still be available to answer questions after you return.  Please let me know what you think!  Thank you!

I'll still be lurking and available for answering questions, but once the trip is done, I won't be posting as much.  We did book two more Viking cruises while on board for 2025, so we'll be posting for those as well!  WOO HOO!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mbviking2023 said:

I'll still be lurking and available for answering questions, but once the trip is done, I won't be posting as much.  We did book two more Viking cruises while on board for 2025, so we'll be posting for those as well!  WOO HOO!

Good to hear you’ve booked two more cruises. This means you are happy with the whole experience.  I’m wondering about the food. You must not have gotten tired of monotonous meals. Did you find that entrees changed as you were traveling in different parts of the world?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Margaretwelker said:

Good to hear you’ve booked two more cruises. This means you are happy with the whole experience.  I’m wondering about the food. You must not have gotten tired of monotonous meals. Did you find that entrees changed as you were traveling in different parts of the world?

Definitely not monotonous meals. The Restaurant changes every night, and usually offer destination menus.  The Chef's Table rotates every few days, and throughout the world cruise brought on special chefs for a five night menu.  Oddly enough we didn't eat too many times at Manfredis this trip.  And the World Cafe always rotates.  We'll go for sushi once a week for a stand by.

The ship also prepares "A Taste of...." nights very often.  Indonesia, India, France, Portugal, etc.  There were two mega-brunches with everything!  A wine and cheese extravaganza was incredible.  And I think there were three or four ultra-specialty nights on the pool deck.  A tomahawk steak night, a lobster night, and some I've forgotten already.

Breakfast was pretty standard throughout the cruise, but there's enough variety to change it up.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Margaretwelker said:

Not at all.  There have been a couple new Chef’s Table Menus.  Manfredi’s has put out a new menu (I think) 3 times.  The Restaurant always has a destination meal, along with the old favorites, plus a few others.  
We probably eat about 80% of our meals at WC.  I do sometimes wind up eating some strange combos of meals (I think last night I had pizza, salad and king crab legs), but have always been able to find something to eat.
They have also expanded the Asian bar in the back.  In the morning, there is dim sum.  In the afternoon  and evening, there is usually a couple different soups and something stir fried.  More than once, I’ve gotten rice from the main line and just put stir fry over it (there was a fantastic beef Szechuan stir fry a few weeks ago.
Then there are times where I just want a burger and the Pool Grill does a decent job.  Also have fabulous onion rings.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mbviking2023 said:

Definitely not monotonous meals. The Restaurant changes every night, and usually offer destination menus.  The Chef's Table rotates every few days, and throughout the world cruise brought on special chefs for a five night menu.  Oddly enough we didn't eat too many times at Manfredis this trip.  And the World Cafe always rotates.  We'll go for sushi once a week for a stand by.

The ship also prepares "A Taste of...." nights very often.  Indonesia, India, France, Portugal, etc.  There were two mega-brunches with everything!  A wine and cheese extravaganza was incredible.  And I think there were three or four ultra-specialty nights on the pool deck.  A tomahawk steak night, a lobster night, and some I've forgotten already.

Breakfast was pretty standard throughout the cruise, but there's enough variety to change it up.

Thanks again for your great insight to us future wc's.  Just wondering if you would consider a future wc or is once enough?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomv2950 said:

Thanks again for your great insight to us future wc's.  Just wondering if you would consider a future wc or is once enough?

I definitely would.  My wife?  Might take some convincing.  Although she did say "perhaps once every few years?"  That would be great.

• Like 2

As a future WCr  on the Neptune (23/24 FFL to London) I have a question about the beds.  I have read somewhere on these forums that the Viking mattresses were like boards and it was recommended that you should bring along a mattress topper of some sort.  Just wondering if anyone on the Neptune is having a problem with the firmness of the mattresses.  Thanks for your time and thanks to everyone for all the great information that you have given. Enjoy the rest of your WC.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, mbviking2023 said:

I definitely would.  My wife?  Might take some convincing.  Although she did say "perhaps once every few years?"  That would be great.

Doing another WC depends on the person/couple. We have other bucket list destinations we want to experience that a typical WC would not cover. As a result, we have not planned one for the next 3 years. However, that does not mean we would not contemplate a WC in the future.

37 minutes ago, johnhst said:

As a future WCr  on the Neptune (23/24 FFL to London) I have a question about the beds.  I have read somewhere on these forums that the Viking mattresses were like boards and it was recommended that you should bring along a mattress topper of some sort.  Just wondering if anyone on the Neptune is having a problem with the firmness of the mattresses.  Thanks for your time and thanks to everyone for all the great information that you have given. Enjoy the rest of your WC.  

Toppers are available onboard for the asking.  We find the beds very nice.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tomv2950 said:

Everyone is different.  We have third WC on Neptune in January LA to Greenwich.  We love just living on the ship for 4+ months.  Even in ports visited numerous times we find something new to see.  Different strokes for different folks....🍸

Btw, on Viking's Inaugural WC we met a nice woman on her 9th WC.

Edited by Jim Avery
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, tomv2950 said:

For us, maybe if the route changes.  We don’t want to do this route exactly the same again.  
Also for us, a lot of things had to wind up in perfect alignment.  It wasn’t easy to put the pieces together, and there was a certain amount of tooth gnashing to get here.

• Like 1