Live from the Viking Neptune World Cruise 2022-23

Mcobean

6 minutes ago, bwknsf said:

Hi flowsue - We’re very interested in this day trip to Taj Mahal/Agra from Mumbai. It sounds nearly perfect to see the Taj without missing the other ports and WC experience.  Would you please share the tour group you used, cost, and number of other Viking passengers who joined you?  If you’d prefer, please email me at bwknsf@gmail.com.  Thank you!  Brian

We did an overnight and no one checked bags. Upon arrival in Mumbai, we departed for the airport. We saw the Taj at sunrise which was spectacular. We then went to the hotel for breakfast. After breakfast, we saw Agra Fort. We left for the airport around 1300. We arrived back at the ship around 2300. Enough time to see Mumbai. We were not rushed and had plenty of time at each destination.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bwknsf said:

Hi flowsue - We’re very interested in this day trip to Taj Mahal/Agra from Mumbai. It sounds nearly perfect to see the Taj without missing the other ports and WC experience.  Would you please share the tour group you used, cost, and number of other Viking passengers who joined you?  If you’d prefer, please email me at bwknsf@gmail.com.  Thank you!  Brian

I like this idea, too.

• Like 1

Question: What is the best way to book private tours IN GENERAL or small group tours that do not have large number of people particularly on a bus? I know that for our Silversea WC in 2025 they will book private tours for you. Does Viking do that as well? 

We just returned from Iconic Med. on the brand new Viking Saturn. Wonderful experience, beautiful ship. The only negative for us was the large number of people on the various excursions - particularly those involving buses. Sometimes we had up to 30-32 people. Not only was it tiring to follow the RED sign for long periods of time, we had people who had different thoughts about how slow or fast to walk. And then we had several people on the buses who were quite sick with bad colds or who knows what else - which we were not too crazy about. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mstadleraz said:

We did an overnight and no one checked bags. Upon arrival in Mumbai, we departed for the airport. We saw the Taj at sunrise which was spectacular. We then went to the hotel for breakfast. After breakfast, we saw Agra Fort. We left for the airport around 1300. We arrived back at the ship around 2300. Enough time to see Mumbai. We were not rushed and had plenty of time at each destination.

Thanks, mstadleraz - I think we’re struggling with limited time and balance between Mumbai/WC experience and the Taj Mahal.  This may be our only trip to India. There are a lot of sea days after Mumbai. After talking with other passengers with varied Taj excursions, do you still agree that missing two days of the three in Mumbai was the best option?  I really appreciate you sharing your fantastic journey with us!  Brian 

2 minutes ago, bwknsf said:

Thanks, mstadleraz - I think we’re struggling with limited time and balance between Mumbai/WC experience and the Taj Mahal.  This may be our only trip to India. There are a lot of sea days after Mumbai. After talking with other passengers with varied Taj excursions, do you still agree that missing two days of the three in Mumbai was the best option?  I really appreciate you sharing your fantastic journey with us!  Brian 

Yes, there was only one excursion Viking offered that seemed interesting...Elephanta Cave. However, we did a small group tour (6) of the Mumbai area, which was really interesting. This occurred the last day in port. Goa had great tours through Viking but agree with previous post on passenger capabilities. Cochin was our least favorite port in India.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Cathyvee said:

Question: What is the best way to book private tours IN GENERAL or small group tours that do not have large number of people particularly on a bus? I know that for our Silversea WC in 2025 they will book private tours for you. Does Viking do that as well? 

We just returned from Iconic Med. on the brand new Viking Saturn. Wonderful experience, beautiful ship. The only negative for us was the large number of people on the various excursions - particularly those involving buses. Sometimes we had up to 30-32 people. Not only was it tiring to follow the RED sign for long periods of time, we had people who had different thoughts about how slow or fast to walk. And then we had several people on the buses who were quite sick with bad colds or who knows what else - which we were not too crazy about. 

Viking will assist with locating the tours via third party. However, you will need to do the actual booking.

• Like 2

We had our travel agent arrange our Taj trip as we sure weren't going to India without seeing it.  A driver picked up 4 of us at the ship in Mumbai, did a short tour of the city, then to the airport to fly to Delhi.  Another driver met us to drive to Agra and the hotel.  The next morning we were at the Taj at sunrise, an incredible experience.  We spent a few hours there, then back to the airport and the ship.  It was well worth it and was quite inexpensive.  We were too jazzed to be tired. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jazmyn49 said:

We had our travel agent arrange our Taj trip as we sure weren't going to India without seeing it.  A driver picked up 4 of us at the ship in Mumbai, did a short tour of the city, then to the airport to fly to Delhi.  Another driver met us to drive to Agra and the hotel.  The next morning we were at the Taj at sunrise, an incredible experience.  We spent a few hours there, then back to the airport and the ship.  It was well worth it and was quite inexpensive.  We were too jazzed to be tired. 

Do you remember which tour company you used?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bwknsf said:

Hi Brian . If you arrange this or something similar to Taj Mahal we would be interested. We don’t want to be off the ship for the 7 day tour.  Please feel free to email me at avahondj@gmail.com 

Diana and Myron

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Cathyvee said:

Viking won't do that for you.  But there are endless ways to book small groups on your own.  We prefer small groups as well - for ALL those reasons you outlined.  Couple all of those points with two or three busses going to the same destinations and now you're in a mob.

• The most popular is Viator, but it's my least favorite. Not great customer service.
  • Tours By Locals is another good one and you have more flexibility that way.
  • In the Middle East - Memphis Tours does a great job in various countries.  We went to Luxor with @BeckySt and Memphis.  She and Bill did a lot of private tours.
  • In Jordan we had great success with Jordan Horizons Travel.
  • In Israel we used Guided Tours Israel.
  • In New Zealand there are many, we booked a private with Hawkes Bay Scenic Tours
  • We did a private tour in Rome with @Aspen&Birch but I don't know the company.  Rome was so crowded by itself - couldn't begin to imagine how miserable it would have been in a mob of Vikings.

The best solution we found was to google "Shore Excursions CityNameHere" to find a list of providers specializing in that region.  They are usually professionals, having done it for many years.

We found 6 - 8 was ideal, but @mstadleraz booked a great Israel tour with about 20, split into two busses for the two days.  We had 12 in our group and it was one of the best tours ever.

We couldn't imagine visiting Luxor or Petra or Israel with mobs of people in a group.  

Once you book something, put a blurb here and you'll fill out the 6 or 8 that you need.

And another pro-tip for the future.  Pick up a Mee Audio Connect Air device and a pair of ear buds.  You'll never need to carry that nasty cord for the QuietVox again!  Freedom!

Edited by mbviking2023
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2023 at 10:58 PM, Cathyvee said:

I forgot to add one more tour company for India and Sri Lanka - and I can't edit now.

Magic Tours of India

Deepa Krishnan

+91 98677 07414

https://www.magictoursofindia.com/

She put together a stunning evening concert for a small group of 10  - Indian Classical Music.

But she operates all over India.  Our next visit - she gets my tours!

On 5/15/2023 at 10:12 PM, bwknsf said:

We only missed half a day in Mumbai as we left from Cochin.  By doing this, we missed only Goa and a sea day.  Our flight arrived about the same time the ship got into Mumbai.  TBH, I could have used another day there.

My concern leaving for Delhi out of Mumbai in that you have very little wiggle room if something screws up.  If you miss catching the ship in Mumbai, there are several sea days, with the next port being Jeddah.  I would not want to try to fly into Saudi.  

• Like 5

On 5/16/2023 at 7:42 AM, mbviking2023 said:

Viking won't do that for you.  But there are endless ways to book small groups on your own.  We prefer small groups as well - for ALL those reasons you outlined.  Couple all of those points with two or three busses going to the same destinations and now you're in a mob.

• The most popular is Viator, but it's my least favorite. Not great customer service.
  • In the Middle East - Memphis Tours does a great job in various countries.  We went to Luxor with @BeckySt and Memphis.  She and Bill did a lot of private tours.
  • In New Zealand there are many, we booked a private with Hawkes Bay Scenic Tours
  • We did a private tour in Rome with @Aspen&Birch but I don't know the company.  Rome was so crowded by itself - couldn't begin to imagine how miserable it would have been in a mob of Vikings.

The best solution we found was to google "Shore Excursions CityNameHere" to find a list of providers specializing in that region.  They are usually professionals, having done it for many years.

We found 6 - 8 was ideal, but @mstadleraz booked a great Israel tour with about 20, split into two busses for the two days.  We had 12 in our group and it was one of the best tours ever.

We couldn't imagine visiting Luxor or Petra or Israel with mobs of people in a group.  

Once you book something, put a blurb here and you'll fill out the 6 or 8 that you need.

And another pro-tip for the future.  Pick up a Mee Audio Connect Air device and a pair of ear buds.  You'll never need to carry that nasty cord for the QuietVox again!  Freedom!

I agree with everything MBVIKING said!

Especially his recommendation for Memphis Tours - Best Tour Ever!

And... Check out Shore Excursions Group.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2023 at 6:42 AM, mbviking2023 said:

Thank you. Since I posted this, my husband tested POSITIVE for COVID (LAST SATURDAY). Me - on Monday. He has been hospitalized. We are (were) both very healthy, no comorbids, fully vaxed and boosted, sanitized, washed our hands. Just could not overcome the people who insisted in getting on overcrowded tour buses hacking and hacking (no masks). I could tell you some crazy stories but I will refrain from doing so.

We managed to go this whole time without getting COVID and I have been to 3 business conferences all over the USA from Vegas to Austin to Miami and never stopped traveling. Last April, we did Paris to Swiss Alps and had to have tests before getting on the cruise, tests everyday and quarantines with those who test positive. 

Now they are treated COVID like a 'bad cold' but unfortunately, for some of us, it is much more than a bad cold.

We are considering cancelling the world cruise.

I would tell everyone - please know that with the new "don't ask, don't tell" policy - no testing - and people who feel that they are not going to stop going on tours even if sick - please take great precautions, bring test kits, paxlovid, plenty of cold and flu meds, etc. and hope for the best.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cathyvee said:

Thank you. Since I posted this, my husband tested POSITIVE for COVID (LAST SATURDAY). Me - on Monday. He has been hospitalized. We are (were) both very healthy, no comorbids, fully vaxed and boosted, sanitized, washed our hands. Just could not overcome the people who insisted in getting on overcrowded tour buses hacking and hacking (no masks). I could tell you some crazy stories but I will refrain from doing so.

We managed to go this whole time without getting COVID and I have been to 3 business conferences all over the USA from Vegas to Austin to Miami and never stopped traveling. Last April, we did Paris to Swiss Alps and had to have tests before getting on the cruise, tests everyday and quarantines with those who test positive. 

Now they are treated COVID like a 'bad cold' but unfortunately, for some of us, it is much more than a bad cold.

I would tell everyone - please know that with the new "don't ask, don't tell" policy - no testing - and people who feel that they are not going to stop going on tours even if sick - please take great precautions, bring test kits, paxlovid, plenty of cold and flu meds, etc. and hope for the best.

Yep.  So sorry about that.  I had it last January (2022) and was in the H for 8 days.  Not fun.  And yes, the busses were the worst!  People hacking up lungs and refusing to wear a mask or stay home.  Thankfully enough people did.  My wife and I, despite bad colds, didn't catch it on the cruise.  Lots of other people did though and were quarantined.  

I wouldn't be quick to cancel the world cruise though.  Another year from now things will improve again,  And there are plenty of open spaces on the ship.  And lots of people did wear masks throughout.

1 hour ago, Cathyvee said:

Were you recently on a cruise and caught it? I hope that you both feel better soon.

1 hour ago, Cathyvee said:

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  Did you originally book this world cruise on the Risk Free Guarantee?  If so, you may be able to wait to cancel without the full cancellation penalties.  Hopefully you'll feel better and be able to travel.  Worst case, you don't get a cash refund, but get future cruise voucher based on the Risk Free Guarantee.  I hope you're feeling better soon.

2 hours ago, mbviking2023 said:

Yep.  So sorry about that.  I had it last January (2022) and was in the H for 8 days.  Not fun.  And yes, the busses were the worst!  People hacking up lungs and refusing to wear a mask or stay home.  Thankfully enough people did.  My wife and I, despite bad colds, didn't catch it on the cruise.  Lots of other people did though and were quarantined.  

I wouldn't be quick to cancel the world cruise though.  Another year from now things will improve again,  And there are plenty of open spaces on the ship.  And lots of people did wear masks throughout.

I am sorry for what you went through. 

Things have changed. Viking didn't even have COVID tests on the ship, I was told. I'm not sure.

48 minutes ago, bwknsf said:

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  Did you originally book this world cruise on the Risk Free Guarantee?  If so, you may be able to wait to cancel without the full cancellation penalties.  Hopefully you'll feel better and be able to travel.  Worst case, you don't get a cash refund, but future cruise voucher based on the Risk Free Guarantee.  I hope you're feeling better soon.

Thank you. I'm not sure. But I'm pretty sure we will cancel. 

35 minutes ago, Cathyvee said:

I am sorry for what you went through. 

Things have changed. Viking didn't even have COVID tests on the ship, I was told. I'm not sure.

Huh?  I tested positive for Covid on the WC.  I missed 5 days of ports, despite the fact that I was barely sick (no cough).  I was tested in the medical center, and DH was also tested in the medical center for the 5 days I was in quarantine.  He also caught bronchitis earlier, and was also tested for Covid at that point too.  

Viking most certainly has test kits on their ships.  

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Cathyvee said:

Yes. We just returned from Iconic Med. on Viking Saturn last Friday.

I'm sorry. Our last Viking March/April 2022 they tested every day and I liked it. My husband has acute myelogenous leukemia now so we can't cruise.

Just now, stretchcruz said:

I'm sorry. Our last Viking March/April 2022 they tested every day and I liked it. My husband has acute myelogenous leukemia now so we can't cruise.

I liked it too. Last April we did Paris to Swiss Alps. Had to test before cruise, everyday on cruise, if you tested positive, you were quarantined and then sent to a hotel. And people had to wear masks on the buses.

If we do go on the wc - which is doubtful at this point - I will be the woman handing out masks to the hackers.

PS - So sorry about your husband.

9 minutes ago, Mich3554 said:

Huh?  I tested positive for Covid on the WC.  I missed 5 days of ports, despite the fact that I was barely sick (no cough).  I was tested in the medical center, and DH was also tested in the medical center for the 5 days I was in quarantine.  He also caught bronchitis earlier, and was also tested for Covid at that point too.  

Viking most certainly has test kits on their ships.  

Thank you for quarantining and protecting the other passengers.

57 minutes ago, Cathyvee said:

Yes. We just returned from Iconic Med. on Viking Saturn last Friday.

Oh I'm so so sorry Cathy.

It is just a shame that there are so many selfish, inconsiderate people traveling on Viking cruises these days.   We are getting on the Saturn in NYC in a couple weeks - and that is our biggest fear - namely, all those coughing, hacking people on buses.   We've seen it before on post-COVID cruises, but have somehow been lucky and managed to avoid COVID (and we are fully (6) vaccinated/boosted even).

But - we do want to see things, so we'll just do our best to avoid those people!

• Like 1