Power outage on Oasis 12/21/22

On Oasis currently.  This evening during the mad dash to get out bags set out, the power went out.  There was some smoke seen off the starboard side with a burning plastic smell.  The engines stopped.  It was eerie.  Now, seems like the whole ship has a strong sewage smell.  🤢Anyone know what happened?  

7 minutes ago, D4 said:

Wow, keep us posted.  How long was the power out?  Did the ship start moving again?  Safe travels

It was out for a few minutes.  We did start moving again, but it was just…weird.  
Add to this that my son and I stayed up watching a movie about a big ship on an ill-fated maiden voyage about a week ago 😬 which made me cringe a little to tell him to get dressed, and stay in the room unless the evacuation warning was sounded.

middle son was in Jazz on 4, he said the power went out but they “just kept jazzin’”.  
In the cabins there was no light at all.  

Edited by midwife1021
Typos
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Something caused the generators to trip.  Once they reset the system and brought the engines back online we were resumed our return to Miami.  

We had been producing exhaust from the two outer stacks for the majority of the trip.  After the reset they were using the starboard outermost stack and the two of inner sets of stacks.  Nothing was coming from the outer port side stack.  

I smelled a very faint smell of something I couldn't place. Not electrical but not exhaust either.   When I ventured outside it appeared to me without any forward motion our exhaust was hanging in the air and settling slightly which is what I think led to the faint smell.  Once we started moving again the exhaust stream was up and away from the ship due to the forward motion.  

In my cabin emergency lighting came on immediately. Normal lighting returned about 30 second later.  The pool deck didn't appear to be completely dark so there must be emergency lighting there as well and around the ship.  

We had been going at 22 kn for most of the day so we may have been drawing a lot of power.  We seemed to settle around 17 kt once we resumed motion.

We are back in Miami with plenty of time to spare.  

Enjoyable cruise minus some Starlink internet woes through the Sargasso Sea of foul sea monsters and terrible internet.  I'm beginning to think those sea monsters were wearing Starlink blocker devices as it was bad in the same place on our way to Labadee.   "Ye shall have no Starlink internet here". 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, midwife1021 said:

middle son was in Jazz on 4, he said the power went out but they “just kept jazzin’”.  
In the cabins there was no light at all.  

I think they made a movie about how a band kept playing until a large transatlantic passenger ship sank....... 😁

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 11

Glad everything is well now and no major loss of power!

A few years ago my "white elephant" Xmas gift was a 4-piece set of  small LED flashlights that are very bright. I always travel with two for us and place next to the bed, just in case.  Also handy when trying to find something in/around my seat when the lights are dimmed on my long flights.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We cruised on Oasis during its maiden season and one night we were having dinner and the power went out. I agree, the feeling was eerie. We don’t ever notice any vibration from the engines, but when they stopped it was very noticeable and eerie.  Thankfully it only lasted a few minutes.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

I think they made a movie about how a band kept playing until a large transatlantic passenger ship sank....... 😁

Yes in our room, there was some confusion and “why have the engines stopped?!” And then making the youngest get clothes on so he wasn’t going to have to hit the muster station in a towel 🫣.  There were several near verbatim lines from the movie about that transatlantic ship’s inspired blockbuster movie.  

23 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Were any announcements made on the ship about the incident?

No there was not.  Was on the promenade when the power went out. Came back on pretty quick and the party continued.  My son came running down from the room and said that we stopped.  Didn’t believe him so went out and looked and he was

correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, midwife1021 said:

Yes in our room, there was some confusion and “why have the engines stopped?!” And then making the youngest get clothes on so he wasn’t going to have to hit the muster station in a towel 🫣.  There were several near verbatim lines from the movie about that transatlantic ship’s inspired blockbuster movie.  

While I might jest now, I am absolutely sure that you did not find any humor in it at the time. I am glad it is now a memory past. 😓

• Like 2

3 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Were any announcements made on the ship about the incident?

Nope.

we noticed lights coming on in more aft areas before we came up (10644, midship…the hump balcony gave a good view of what was happening along our starboard side of cabins).

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, twangster said:

Oasis is off and out of PoM on her next cruise.  She was using the same exhaust stacks we used for most of our cruise so it seems all is well.  

Da dump,.........Da dump,.....da dump..  da dump.....Wait for it,....wait for it,....DA DA!!!!! 🦈🦈

10 hours ago, bajathree said:

Experienced the same exact thing on Oasis years ago.....they called it a "technical blackout". It only lasted for a few minutes.

A black-out by any name is not good...., especially when you cannot remember it the next day and the cruise line acts like it is a normal and acceptable part of cruising. 😬

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

The captain looked in the ship's junk drawer and found a new fuse to put in. Then all was well

As the most junior officer of the deck sulks off and mumbles, "Why do I always have to go down fifteen decks of the stairs (elevators are not working) and replace the fuse?"  🤨

• Haha 3

21 hours ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We cruised on Oasis during its maiden season and one night we were having dinner and the power went out. I agree, the feeling was eerie. We don’t ever notice any vibration from the engines, but when they stopped it was very noticeable and eerie.  Thankfully it only lasted a few minutes.

Bet that was the same sailing I was on....cause it happened during the inaugural season and right around dinner time.

Edited by bajathree
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bajathree said:

Bet that was the same sailing I was on....cause it happened during the inaugural season and right around dinner time.

Probably was. We were sitting at a table for two at the railing that overlooked the lower DR and we could see everyone looking around like what’s going on.  It felt so weird to be totally stopped. 

• Like 1