Cancellation insurance (not Cancel for any reason) - coverage for family member death/illness?

I'm struggling to understand coverage of Trip cancellation (not CFAR insurance).   Does Cancellation coverage kick in we have to cancel a trip due to a parent's death (or being close to death).  My FIL is in remission from AML, but the concern is if it returns and we are unable to take a trip would the regular cancellation clause cover this?    I'm a few days too late to purchase CFAR insurance unfortunately. 

Appreciate any insight!

Here's a link to Steve's page where he explains Trip Cancellation Insurance and Trip Interruption along with various other issues. Get the Best Trip Insurance Details, Advice (tripinsurancestore.com)

I would recommend that you call Steve though and discuss this. My concern would be that your FIL's issues may fall under pre-existing conditions. However, I do believe that Steve may have a policy that can help with this concern.

• Like 1

If you are too late for CFAR, you are also likely to be too late for most policies that allow a pre-existing conditions waiver. Both provisions fall in the same time-sensitive window following initial deposit.

There are some policies that allow a waiver if purchased by final payment, but you need to ask specifically how that applies to family members not traveling with you.

Call Steve or one of his associates.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, labates629 said:

I'm struggling to understand coverage of Trip cancellation (not CFAR insurance).   Does Cancellation coverage kick in we have to cancel a trip due to a parent's death (or being close to death).  My FIL is in remission from AML, but the concern is if it returns and we are unable to take a trip would the regular cancellation clause cover this?    I'm a few days too late to purchase CFAR insurance unfortunately. 

Appreciate any insight!

Hi labates629,

Depending on the plan you bought, the Pre-Existing Medical Condition Lookback Period might include your non-traveling family members. Most plans do include them, though over half my plans always cover Trip Cancellation and Interruption for pre-existing medical conditions of your non-traveling family members.

Which exact plan did you buy?

Steve Dasseos

18 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi labates629,

Depending on the plan you bought, the Pre-Existing Medical Condition Lookback Period might include your non-traveling family members. Most plans do include them, though over half my plans always cover Trip Cancellation and Interruption for pre-existing medical conditions of your non-traveling family members.

Which exact plan did you buy?

Steve Dasseos

Thanks Steve, I talked to Deanna and she advised me on a plan that did not look back for non traveling family members!  I purchased that policy for my Alaska trip plus I was able to buy a policy including full CFAR coverage for an Antarctica Jan 2024 because deposit was only paid yesterday. 

I’m still a little confused as to whether I really need CFAR though, as death of a family member plus a lot of other scenarios seems to be covered under regular trip cancellation.  I suppose it’s useful if you just ‘change your mind’ or some other unforeseen circumstances/reason.   

Appreciate the help!

On 12/24/2022 at 8:36 AM, labates629 said:

Thanks Steve, I talked to Deanna and she advised me on a plan that did not look back for non traveling family members!  I purchased that policy for my Alaska trip plus I was able to buy a policy including full CFAR coverage for an Antarctica Jan 2024 because deposit was only paid yesterday. 

I’m still a little confused as to whether I really need CFAR though, as death of a family member plus a lot of other scenarios seems to be covered under regular trip cancellation.  I suppose it’s useful if you just ‘change your mind’ or some other unforeseen circumstances/reason.   

Appreciate the help!

Hi labates629,

> I’m still a little confused as to whether I really need CFAR though

Call us at 1-888-407-3854 when you have a chance and we can discuss this. Not as many people need CFAR for those reasons. You have a Free Look period to cancel for a refund.

I'm open today.

Steve Dasseos