What is an "economical" cruise line in South America, Asia or worldwide?

evagoblin

Hi,

Just first wanted to say, I am glad that I showed up for the Cruise Critic forum on the Island Princess sailing from L.A. to Hawaii on the Dec.7 th 2005 sailing, although I went because they said they had free champagne in the "Princess Patter" (and at first didn't know how in the heck, people who never met seemed to know each other so well!), I found a group of convivial, fun and most important, KNOWLEGABLE people, which is why I'm writing in this forum (had I not known about them, I would've posted under Frommers which doesn't require you to register as I hate going through that process! Why is it that you have to give ANY kind of birth information, I'd rather give month and year vs. month and date, which I think is more useful for forum purposes anyway. Is someone in Cruisecritic interested in astrology?) Although I hope the moderator can answer this, that is not my main question.

Unfortunately many travel agents nowadays do NOT seem to know a lot about the different cruise lines, many listed in the phone book work out of their home and seem to be a T.A. just to get the discounts, went to brick and mortar ones who just gave me brochures and didn't have enough knowledge to answer specific questions. Would ask for a good travel agent but with the internet (thank god for that, not the least for the forums for people who love cruising who can answer my questions!) figured I might as do the research myself and become my OWN outside agent and get a discount that way!! But finally here is the question...

I don't want a fancy cruise line, something on the line of Carnival or Royal Carrib. to go around Sth. America. Unfortunately, they don't and the ones that seem to do seem pretty luxurious, like Crystal, Oceania and Holland America. I can't go on a freighter because of my 91 year old mother. Don't need to go on those short Galapagos cruises or Amazon, more of the longer ones circumventing around the continent. Prefer NOT to go on Cunard (read many negatives about them on reviews here) or Princess where it took one month to resolve a billing problem with them, but will consider that if it's the only options available.

While I'm at it, I'd also like recommendations for Asia also. My mother, who never seemed to want to travel before suddenly has expressed a desire to travel a lot, which concerns me a little but if that is her wish, and as long as she's healthy and alive (a real consideration at her age) I'm going to try to help her to travel as much as she can in the next year. Did try to look at a world cruise brochure of Holland America but it's difficult to download online on Adobe and most travel agents I went to didn't seem to have it, again, if because of the itinerary there are only luxury cruise lines, I'll have to do that. If anyone knows of any cruise lines besides Cunard and Holland that travel worldwide also let me know.

Thanks for any info!!

HAL is not a luxury cruise line like Seaborne or Crystal. It does tend to have a lot of older people and is a little more sedate, which might appeal to your mother. We went around Cape Horn on the HAL Ryndam and had a great trip. We have traveled Crystal...it is not in the same league, but will cost a lot less. Prices (and services) on HAL are very similar to Princess. We also like Celebrity and they do South America. Don't rule out Oceania, esp. if you can get one of their deals that includes airfare. We paid over $900 each for round trip airfare for our cruise (would have been $1400 if we had purchased through HAL).

Try AAA for good cruise deals, or check out http://www.*****.com for some good prices. Look for a travel agent who specializes in cruises. There are many around. Tell them you are looking to join a group if possible (usually lower rates). You don't have to do anything with the group, just book rooms together.

you were very helpful, what do you think of NCL? Doesn't seem to cost too much but there website is awful, terrible (and in this day and age, when so many travel agencies don't have the brochure, one I went to didn't even have Carnival) that's quite important!!

I don't really need the luxury, but are you saying with sales, that Crystal and the upper scale lines are comparable in price with NCL (which judging from it's website doesn't look upscale!!) If they are, do you think I should go with something like Crystal (was a little confused because at first you inferred it was luxury, but in your second mention you seem to imply that it's not an expensive line) or some other line where they include more like sodas, alcoholic beverages and other things whereas with others they are added on charges.

The post was a little confusing but I think (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong) that splinter was saying HAL is not as expensive as Crystal so you should check out prices on HAL. And not to overlook Oceania because they might have a special deal.

We live in the boonies, travel a lot, and do not use brick and mortar agencies for the reasons you mention--we travel more than those (few!!) in our local area and it's easier to find information on line than to search around for a person who might or might not know something. The internet is full of great resources!! Find a site with prices and just start looking at what's out there--when you have an idea of a couple things that are in your price range, you can ask more specific questions about ships & lines too.....

In S. America a majority of sailings are 12-16 day sailings on a bunch of cruiselines that go from buenos aires or Rio, to Santiago (or vice versa) around the south tip of the continent. Can be rough seas on a little bit, usually southern-most argentina.

I did a 14 day on Celebrity Zenith, nice fine dining on a smaller ship.

NCL has freestyle, good if you want to avoid fixed seating times with same people every night. Holland America has a classic refined feel to it, it's usually not more expensive, but you do pay a little more here for their superior itinerary which sails past Anarctica. I think for a 91 year old I would either do Holland America if you want traditional dining seating + Anarctica viewing, or do NCL for freestyle.

I am currently traveling with elderly relatives and usually choose NCL for freestyle, but I'm hoping to do a HAL one later, maybe getting a small dinner table to ourselves. HAL always seems to be a little smarter at designing interesting itineraries, I love the classic feel of the ship, and they are elderly friendly. If you can afford it, there is a 20 day HAL rotterdam one that looks so fantastic. I will be really jealous of you if you do that. :)

Each ship does also does 1 repositioning cruise before/after the season, those have unusual itineraries visiting more northerly S.American ports going to/from the USA, sometimes transiting panama canal. Might be nice to cut down on flying time. You could combine this back-to-back with a typical 12-16 southern tip sailing if you could stand cruising that long. I wouldn't mind. :)

Also:

Princess has an unusual one from florida to the Amazon or vice versa.

Oceania has an unusual itinerary from Rio to Buenos Aires.

Archived