Valor or Sunrise?

helene109

Going on NCL Escape in April. Carnival Panorama in August.

Looking into Sunrise or Valor for October. We have been on the Valor and love New Orleans but we love the ports of the Sunrise. We have been to all of the ports except Costa Maya. Thanks for opinions.

4F1595AB-F443-4B3F-B97B-B41D4E0503E4.png

DE62FBBB-8BB7-4971-B6C7-6C9590C23A1C.png

At this point I would look at the transport logistics to get to the embarkation port plus the option to visit a new port of call. Not to be negative but your timing is during hurricane season so that is something to consider. Anyway, I hope you will enjoy either sailing you chose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been to the ports from both those cruises.  I would go with Sunrise because I love relaxing on the beach at Half Moon Cay.  We rented out one of the villa's and it was probably the best beach day I've had in a long time.  Plus, the Sunrise has been completely refurbished since it was the Triumph.  I haven't been on her since she changed names but would love to see the differences. 

• Thanks 1

We've done both of those exact cruises on those exact ships. Stand alone, I'd do Sunrise. Things that would impact my decision would be transportation costs to the port (airfare, lodging) and whether you would like to spend an evening or two in the French Quarter. Either way you won't go wrong; two of Carnival's best 5 nighters.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jsglow said:

We've done both of those exact cruises on those exact ships. Stand alone, I'd do Sunrise. Things that would impact my decision would be transportation costs to the port (airfare, lodging) and whether you would like to spend an evening or two in the French Quarter. Either way you won't go wrong; two of Carnival's best 5 nighters.

So you really like the Sunrise better? Because of anything specific? Thanks. Just 1 night before 

14 minutes ago, helene109 said:

So you really like the Sunrise better? Because of anything specific? Thanks. Just 1 night before 

Despite what you see here from some on cruise critic, I think they've done a wonderful job on Sunrise/Radiance. They are fully featured ships at 105,000 tons with a great selection of restaurants/bars/clubs. Plus the rooms were nicely refurbished.  Now do I want to be on either during a maxed out Christmas week? Heck no as they would feel quite crowded.  But for a 'normal capacity' 5 night cruise they are fantastic in my view.

Valor is totally fine but she sits squarely in the middle of the 'aging' Conquest Class. Don't get me wrong; I'll sail all those ships again. But none have had $200 million of modernization done. Sunrise practically feels 'new'.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been on both ships. The Sunrise just this past August. I like ports more on the Sunrise. But dislike the ship since the refurbish.  Additional cabins were added at the expense of public spaces...seemed very chopped up.  In the end a toss up.  I'd go with whichever is easier to get to.  Just had clients return from the Valor and had very positive feedback.

• Thanks 1

We like the itinerary on the Sunrise much better, but we're not real fond of the ship.  It definitely feels more crowded after they added more cabins.  Because of that, and the fact we can drive to N.O. instead of flying to Miami, we would probably pick the Valor for a five day.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 9:01 AM, Lee Cruiser said:

We like the itinerary on the Sunrise much better, but we're not real fond of the ship.  It definitely feels more crowded after they added more cabins.  Because of that, and the fact we can drive to N.O. instead of flying to Miami, we would probably pick the Valor for a five day.

Have you been to Costa Maya? What is the pier like? Is it like Cozumel or does it have a pool and beach? Thanks!

33 minutes ago, helene109 said:

Have you been to Costa Maya? What is the pier like? Is it like Cozumel or does it have a pool and beach? Thanks!

It's more like Cozumel's port facility and less like Amber Cove or Mahogany Bay if that makes sense.

Edited by jsglow
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, jsglow said:

It's more like Cozumel's port facility and less like Amber Cove or Mahogany Bay if that makes sense.

But did it have a beach or pool? We have never been there. Have been to Amber Cove and Cozumel.

• 2 weeks later...