Recent Meraviglia experience

eastender

Done a dozen MSC's so a bit of a fan but a recent 5 nighter on Meraviglia definitely had some negatives. Embarking not good, long lines, bit unorganized, no Biggie.  First and second evening, very difficult to sit somewhere and be served a drink. Other nights better but not good. Lounges had non existent servers, this created lines at the bars with people trying to get a drink. Lounges are small for a big ship so difficult to get a seat anywhere. Loved Divina with it's numerous lounges and Doge coffee lounge. Meraviglia has no coffee lounge. Nice chocolate and coffee area on the promenade but premium drink package is not accepted here. Premium beers at the pub were regularly not available. No top tier event. I don't think this ship had enough staff to cope with the amount of passengers. Servers at regular dining were excellent although our 2 top was so squished up, it was really a table of 6. Disembarking, although quite well organized was also sloooow! Maybe this was not a fault of the ship. None of these things a deal breaker and we did enjoy the cruise but if this is how the big ships are, I'll try and stick to the smaller ones or maybe try and go yacht club.

I would guess the number of passengers on recent sailings was higher than normal due to the holidays and schools being out. The staffing may be adequate for the typical passenger count before and after the holidays. Cruise lines can’t easily add additional staffing for a few weeks at a time like many land based businesses.