Vanishing ships?

queeniemi

Have been looking everywhere for a ship to do my yearly cruise  from Puerto Rico for next year. For some strange reason, there isn’t s Royal ship scheduled from May through the middle of November. !  Am I wrong and if I’m not what would the reason be to leave a port empty for six months?

9 hours ago, queeniemi said:

Have been looking everywhere for a ship to do my yearly cruise  from Puerto Rico for next year. For some strange reason, there isn’t s Royal ship scheduled from May through the middle of November. !  Am I wrong and if I’m not what would the reason be to leave a port empty for six months?

That port is scheduled for over $300M in renovations soon with a new pier and renovations to the old pier to allow up to 8 ships per day to call into the city. The idea being that it will allow for more ships to home port from that city. 

Fewer people are flying into San Juan for cruises during the late spring and summer months, so you'll find fewer mainstream cruise lines home porting there during those months. They start reappearing in October/November following the 'snow birds.' 

• Like 2

I just checked over on the Virgin Voyages site as I know Brilliant Lady will be homeported out of San Juan. She doesn't start until December 2023 and they only show her schedule through the end of April 2024 at the moment. She would be a great ship to keep an eye on if she ends up staying in San Juan for the entire year. We had an amazing experience on Scarlet Lady, best food and crew of any of the 8 cruise lines we've sailed so far. 

• Like 1

Usually go the last week in October to the second week in November. Spend a week on the island and then a week cruising. Try to do it before the family holiday events. The Jewel is there on the 18th of November BUT the itinerary stinks. I’m really hoping they stick something else in there with  the old islands back in it. That’s a lot of monies for those islands to lose for 6 months.

3 hours ago, queeniemi said:

Usually go the last week in October to the second week in November. Spend a week on the island and then a week cruising. Try to do it before the family holiday events. The Jewel is there on the 18th of November BUT the itinerary stinks. I’m really hoping they stick something else in there with  the old islands back in it. That’s a lot of monies for those islands to lose for 6 months.

I don't really follow the logic. Just because ships are not home porting from San Juan all year doesn't mean they're not visiting the islands. There are plenty of ships still visiting many of the area islands, though the 'prime season' is September - March/April. I don't think any islands are 'losing money' just because San Juan isn't homeporting a major ship during certain times of the year. I think most of the islands know how to handle the ebb and flow of tourist season and off season. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2022 at 6:14 PM, queeniemi said:

It’s called hurricane season. Nowhere to hide in San Juan.