We have the Trip Mate insurance that is offered by Viking (didn’t know there were other options) for our Scandinavian cruise, flights and extension.  We are F 55, and M 54 with no known medical issues. We live in Texas.  We have a very locally limited HMO medical plan through BC/BS.  There is some medical coverage with the Trip Mate policy, but I wonder if we should have additional medical since our health insurance coverage is locationally limited.  What type of supplemental medical plan would you recommend?  Thanks.

• Like 1

I hope that what I'm about to say is redundant and you already know this. Are you aware that should you require medical services (even if you have all the insurance you could buy) that in almost all cases, you will be required to pay (cash or credit card) sometimes upfront but definitely before discharge. Then, when you get the opportunity, you file a claim for reimbursement.

Now, to put in my 2 cents worth towards you question. In all my travels, I like to have a policy with a minimum of $100K in (Primary) medical. I have no idea how much medical coverage is provided by your policy

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Spurlady said:

We have the Trip Mate insurance that is offered by Viking (didn’t know there were other options) for our Scandinavian cruise, flights and extension.  We are F 55, and M 54 with no known medical issues. We live in Texas.  We have a very locally limited HMO medical plan through BC/BS.  There is some medical coverage with the Trip Mate policy, but I wonder if we should have additional medical since our health insurance coverage is locationally limited.  What type of supplemental medical plan would you recommend?  Thanks.

Hi Spurlady,

> We have a very locally limited HMO medical plan through BC/BS

Call BC/BS and ask this: "If I get hit by a cement truck in Scandinavia, what is the most I will have to pay out of pocket for deductibles and co-pays?"

If the amount is less than the medical coverage with the Trip Mate policy, you don't need additional medical.

Steve Dasseos