Fort Lauderdale Airport - Purchase SIM card

whee-sailing

Is there somewhere in the Fort Lauderdale airport where I can purchase and activate a SIM card that will work in the US and Puerto Rico? Even better if it will work in the Caribbean, too! I can do this in San Juan instead if that's a better option.

I'm thinking something along the lines of the super easy Telcel card you can pick up and activate at OXXO in Mexico and instantly have service. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

What is your current cell company? Many companies now have free roaming in various areas.

I guess you're not familiar with cell phone services for us Canadians (such as the OP)   😃

I'm with Bell, probably the biggest cell provider in Canada. Roaming in the US is $12/day, which does cover Puerto Rico as we used it in November in San Juan, and is $15/day everywhere else.  On some trips I buy a prepaid SIM card off Amazon prior to a trip if I know I'm going to need cell service on shore, other times I'll use my own SIM card and swallow the roaming charges.

29 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

I guess you're not familiar with cell phone services for us Canadians (such as the OP)   😃

I'm with Bell, probably the biggest cell provider in Canada. Roaming in the US is $12/day, which does cover Puerto Rico as we used it in November in San Juan, and is $15/day everywhere else.  On some trips I buy a prepaid SIM card off Amazon prior to a trip if I know I'm going to need cell service on shore, other times I'll use my own SIM card and swallow the roaming charges.

No, I am not, that is why I asked. Many cell phone providers are expanding offerings, as competition is driving improvements in service. For example, with AT&T, we renewed our contract in Nov 2021. At that point Canada and Mexico were treated as part of the US plans as totally free/included. They have since added Central and South America as fully included. 

Just asking, and hinting to double check plans and coverages.

33 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

No, I am not, that is why I asked. Many cell phone providers are expanding offerings, as competition is driving improvements in service. For example, with AT&T, we renewed our contract in Nov 2021. At that point Canada and Mexico were treated as part of the US plans as totally free/included. They have since added Central and South America as fully included. 

Just asking, and hinting to double check plans and coverages.

No offense intended at all, hence my 😃. Canada is notorious for some of the worst and most expensive cell plans on the planet, virtually no effective competition and very expensive rates.  Cell service while on shore off a cruise ship can be somewhat expensive for us.

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

What is your current cell company? Many companies now have free roaming in various areas.

My current company does not offer any service at all outside of Canada. That's why I have to pick up a SIM card whenever I travel.

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

Considering the value of the Canadian Dollar that roaming charge does not seem high. I would pay $10 in Caribbean ports. (Canada and Mexico are free) on my AT&T plan. 

They could buy a SIM card for visitors to the US from AT&T or T-Mobile in the US but it would only include the US. For both the Caribbean and US they would need a global card probably available on Amazon. US SIM cards are sold at carrier stores or Target, Walmart, Costco, CVS and Best Buy.

If I don’t want to roam and want a SIM abroad I don’t go to a store. My iPhone has had an eSIM. So I buy it electronically on my phone. 

6 minutes ago, whee-sailing said:

My current company does not offer any service at all outside of Canada. That's why I have to pick up a SIM card whenever I travel.

Do you have an unlocked phone? Hopefully you are arriving in advance of your cruise. Likely there will be a carrier store or one of the others I listed near your accommodations.