SKY PRINCESS - EXCURSION QUESTIONS

llarsen

Hi,

We are sailing on Sky Princess next month for the first time.

This is the first time we have sailed this Itinerary: Cozumel/Roatan/Belize/Majahual

I've tried looking in Ports of Call but have not found answers to my questions.

I booked these 2 excursions through Princess and could use some feedback.

Also need help with Belize excursions.

COZUMEL

ELITE CHAMPAGNE CATAMARAN SAIL AND SNORKEL WITH LUNCH ( I booked this)

We have taken many Catamaran sails in the Caribbean (booked independent operators) and assume this one booked through Princess will be just as nice since there are only 34 passengers aboard it. But if anyone has taken it and were disappointed, please advise.

ROATAN

RELAX ON THE BEACH PACKAGE PLUS SNORKEL FOR TWO (I booked this)

I have read that you only need to purchase one ticket for two people, so I cancelled the second ticket for my husband. 

1. DOES THE PRINCESS PACKAGE INCLUDE A BEACH AREA THAT IS PRIVATE OR ANY DIFFERENT THAN JUST GOING THERE OURSELVES?

(I like that it is close to the ship and we can go back and forth as needed with a wrist band for lift, but wondering about the beach itself)

3. IS THERE A BETTER ROATAN BEACH IF WE WANT BEAUTIFUL CLEAR WATER TO SWIM WITH NICE BEACH CHAIRS AND SHADE?

(My husband needs to be able to get in the shade, a clamshell won't work all day for him) If there is a better place, please advise and how to get there. 

OTHER OPTION

4. TABYANA BEACH BREAK AND LUNCH WAS ANOTHER OPTION, BUT REVIEWS SAID IT WAS A LONG TWISTING ROAD THERE.

DOES ANYONE HAVE FEEDBACK ON THIS EXCURSION? (45min travel by Mini Bus) IS IT ANY BETTER THAN MAHOGANY BAY BEACH?

BELIZE  I do not have any excursions booked here. Could use some help.

SNORKELING WONDERS OF THE BARRIER REEF 4hrs $74pp (Our cruise is next month and I notice no one has booked this?)

SCENIC WILDLIFE RIVER CRUISE 2hrs $79pp Not many tickets available. Only 2 hrs what do we do the rest of the day?

LAMANAI MAYAN RUINS RIVERBOAT SAFARI WITH LUNCH 6hrs $139pp (again....many departure times available but no one has booked?)

This one sounds like it would be a great way to spend the day it's an hour each way, and not sure I want to be in an enclosed vehicle that long. It does say it's air conditioned though...

MAJAHUAL COSTA MAYA

I read taxis are $2-$3pp. Thinking of going to a beach (with shade and loungers), any suggestions?

I've seen people mention Krazy Lobster in Ports section.

Thanks so much to those who could give a little or share their experiences.

My friend and I did this same itinerary last year and will also be on the Sky in January with the same ports of call, but with our spouses this time.  Here are my thoughts. 

My friend and I did the same “Relax on the Beach” in Roatan. The beach is very close to the port and the water was murky when we went. Also, there is row after row of clamshells which are nice because they provide shade, but the beach was extremely crowded. It’s not one I would do again. Roatan does have some nice snorkeling but it is on the West End. 

In Belize we did the Xunantunich Tour with lunch. It was a long ride, but we loved the ruins and both enjoyed the lunch. We liked it so much we are doing the same excursion again with our husbands. 

In Costa Maya and Cozumel last year we did private excursions. A cooking class and market tour in Cozumel (which we are also doing with our spouses this year).

In Costa Maya we did another set of Mayan Ruins and lunch in a Mayan village.  With our upcoming cruise we are going the the 7 Color Lagoon with the same private tour company. 

Hope that helps. Have a great time!

• Like 1

We also did this cruise last year and are on the Sky in Jan. too. The ship beach is Ok but the ground is hard in the water, like it’s smooth rock, not sandy. No decent snorkeling there either. Roatan has a fantastic coral reef all around it so the catamaran tours are best for snorkeling. The coral reef we visited on the ship tour is the best and most vibrant we’ve seen anywhere in the Caribbean. Or you can brave the ride to West Bay Beach for a great beach, resorts, restaurants, umbrella rentals and snorkeling right off the beach. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, skg8 said:

My friend and I did this same itinerary last year and will also be on the Sky in January with the same ports of call, but with our spouses this time.  Here are my thoughts. 

My friend and I did the same “Relax on the Beach” in Roatan. The beach is very close to the port and the water was murky when we went. Also, there is row after row of clamshells which are nice because they provide shade, but the beach was extremely crowded. It’s not one I would do again. Roatan does have some nice snorkeling but it is on the West End. 

In Belize we did the Xunantunich Tour with lunch. It was a long ride, but we loved the ruins and both enjoyed the lunch. We liked it so much we are doing the same excursion again with our husbands. 

In Costa Maya and Cozumel last year we did private excursions. A cooking class and market tour in Cozumel (which we are also doing with our spouses this year).

In Costa Maya we did another set of Mayan Ruins and lunch in a Mayan village.  With our upcoming cruise we are going the the 7 Color Lagoon with the same private tour company. 

Hope that helps. Have a great time!

Hi! Thanks so much for the info and honest opinion.

Could you tell me which company you are using for 7 Color Lagoon?

I'm going to cancel the Relax on the Beach and probably do Tabyana Beach Break and Lunch tour.

Enjoy your cruise!

9 hours ago, mrmac said:

We also did this cruise last year and are on the Sky in Jan. too. The ship beach is Ok but the ground is hard in the water, like it’s smooth rock, not sandy. No decent snorkeling there either. Roatan has a fantastic coral reef all around it so the catamaran tours are best for snorkeling. The coral reef we visited on the ship tour is the best and most vibrant we’ve seen anywhere in the Caribbean. Or you can brave the ride to West Bay Beach for a great beach, resorts, restaurants, umbrella rentals and snorkeling right off the beach. 

Thanks for the heads up on the beach and water! Does not sound like our type of thing. We've never been on this itinerary and I want to do it all, lol. Hard to decide. Thanks for your reply.

FYI - Tabyana is at West Bay Beach but you may want to just book your own transportation there and pay as you go at the beach. Infinity Bay Resort has nice amenities right there too. Tabyana Beach Break tour reviews have several comments about uncomfortable transportation. Cheers!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skg8 said:

Here is the link for the Costa Maya tour company. This will be my 3rd time using them and I have always been pleased. https://www.thenativechoice.com/

Not sure what your sail date is, but if it is 1/14 we’d be happy to meet you and walk to the pick up spot. It is a short distance walk from the port. 

Thank you for the link. I've heard good things about this company. 

We are on the 2/25 sailing, but thanks so much for the offer to meet us. That was kind of you.

Enjoy your cruise! 🙂

4 hours ago, mrmac said:

FYI - Tabyana is at West Bay Beach but you may want to just book your own transportation there and pay as you go at the beach. Infinity Bay Resort has nice amenities right there too. Tabyana Beach Break tour reviews have several comments about uncomfortable transportation. Cheers!

We normally never do ship excursions, but I didn't feel confident getting taxi on our own since we have never been to Roatan before.

I am now looking into Little French Key. It looks pretty and they pick you up and bring you back to ship. 

30 minutes ago, minnesotasisu said:

Tabyana beach does have a lot of shade and the BEST off shore snorkeling we have ever found. It is a long ride there but well worth it!

Agree on the snorkeling. Did ship excursion which took us to end of beach, had security, best snorkeling right off beach we have done. Vendors are a little aggressive but a firm “no thanks” works fine.

• Like 2

On 1/1/2023 at 7:06 PM, llarsen said:

Thank you for the link. I've heard good things about this company. 

We are on the 2/25 sailing, but thanks so much for the offer to meet us. That was kind of you.

Enjoy your cruise! 🙂

We are on 2/25 sailing and may be using this company too.  Not sure yet on which excursion.

Honduras:

For anyone interested in visiting Little French Key from port of Roatan.

I emailed Larissa (the owner) and she offered to book directly with her, pick us up and bring us back to ship when we wanted. 

They also have a Sloth add on for $15. 

Here is her email:

Hello Linda,
Thank you for contacting Little French Key Resort.
I am glad you found us. Sadly the previous administration won't release the social media or the business webpage back to us.
You are at the right please here with me.
Our new webpage is : littlefrenchkeyresort.com for all the info and packages.
I would book you and you won't make any payments till you get to our location and choose your package.
We pick you up whenever you disembark from the ship and take you back whenever you wish to. No specific times set up. 
We want our guests to feel free and happy to leave or get off the ship at any time.
You sure can order food a la carte, however our full island package at $98 pp is our best seller and has everything included.
Let me know when you are coming, how many guests you are and I will email you our pickup instructions.

Thank you
LFK-Resort
Larissa