Pinones?

cruisingcasual

We are visitng San Juan for the first time this spring.  We don't really want to walk around Old San Juan, that seems to be the go to from what I've seen.  I was looking at some beach/food options, and Pinones has come up a few times.  Anyone familiar with this area, have any advice to share?

It's a bit of a trek from the port.  On the other side of  the Isla Verde resort strip and  Balneario de Carolina.  Taxi might be expensive and not sure about return. Escambron and Puerta de Tierra are closer to Old San Juan and several options for food nearby.  Explore that area.

On 12/31/2022 at 8:31 PM, cruisingcasual said:

We are visitng San Juan for the first time this spring.  We don't really want to walk around Old San Juan, that seems to be the go to from what I've seen.  I was looking at some beach/food options, and Pinones has come up a few times.  Anyone familiar with this area, have any advice to share?

Piñones is a popular locals hang out for food and beach. The first quarter mile or so of that strip might look shanty-like to some. It's just an unplanned mess of eateries. If you go further along the road, it is very nice. The problem is that this is a "remote" area, meaning a likely cell phone dead zone for most services, so getting an Uber or even a taxi back from there is a challenge. There is a city bus that runs along, but service is also spotty. Best bet is to rent a car but on weekends traffic can be a nightmare. Again, very popular locals hang out. If you're not up to this type of "adventure" I'd suggest Ocean Park beach between the Condado and Isla Verde districts.

On 1/5/2023 at 9:14 AM, Aviator of the Seas said:

Piñones is a popular locals hang out for food and beach. The first quarter mile or so of that strip might look shanty-like to some. It's just an unplanned mess of eateries. If you go further along the road, it is very nice. The problem is that this is a "remote" area, meaning a likely cell phone dead zone for most services, so getting an Uber or even a taxi back from there is a challenge. There is a city bus that runs along, but service is also spotty. Best bet is to rent a car but on weekends traffic can be a nightmare. Again, very popular locals hang out. If you're not up to this type of "adventure" I'd suggest Ocean Park beach between the Condado and Isla Verde districts.

Thank you for the insight! We are definitely up for an adventure.

• Like 1