Day trip from Florence - suggestions?

AndyB

Happy New Year, all!

I'll be spending a week in Italy in advance of a Ravenna-to-Rome cruise on Celebrity this October.  Flying into Florence and spending 4 nights there.  I am thinking of taking a day trip one of those days to a nearby town of interest.  Any recommendations?  My first thought was Siena, but on these boards I've been seeing lots of enthusiasm for other places - Lucca, San Gimignano, etc.  I'm really just looking for a pleasant day in a smaller town, learning something of the history, admiring the views, enjoying a nice lunch.  From Florence I would hope to be able to travel by train or bus and then walk the town.  Appreciate your thoughts!

Andrea

Lucca and Siena are the easiest to reach using public transit, San Gimignano requires a bus (or a train-bus combination).

Lucca is smaller than Siena, if size matters.

Siena is better for views, as it's up on hill while Lucca is in a valley and is flat (although there are interesting views from the city walls, which you can walk on).

Edited by euro cruiser

I really like Siena -- it's big enough to have interesting things to do that will occupy a good part of a day. When we went there a couple of years ago I booked a very interesting walking tour* that gives you a lot of information about the rivalry between the various neighborhoods (I think they are called contrada) that culminates in the bareback horse race held in the huge piazza. The tour takes you into various places you would not be able to access on your own, such as the headquarters for one of the contrada, as well as other places like small neighborhood churches (where the horses are blessed!) but also the two main cathedrals. I found it one of the more interesting tours I've taken.

San Gimignano is charming but small. There are some standardized day tours from Florence that include both San Gimignano and Siena. I don't think S.G. would occupy more than a scant half-day on its own.

Lucca is nice too and could occupy a day.  Of the three mentioned, though, I would recommend Siena.

(If you are on the fence, watch this documentary about the Palio race, and catch the fever! Palio (2015 film) - Wikipedia )

*If interested I can search out the walking tour info. The man who led it was obviously a real part of the fabric of Siena. Every place we went people knew him and greeted him.

Edited by cruisemom42

• 3 months later...
On 1/2/2023 at 10:52 AM, cruisemom42 said:

I really like Siena -- it's big enough to have interesting things to do that will occupy a good part of a day. When we went there a couple of years ago I booked a very interesting walking tour* that gives you a lot of information about the rivalry between the various neighborhoods (I think they are called contrada) that culminates in the bareback horse race held in the huge piazza. The tour takes you into various places you would not be able to access on your own, such as the headquarters for one of the contrada, as well as other places like small neighborhood churches (where the horses are blessed!) but also the two main cathedrals. I found it one of the more interesting tours I've taken.

San Gimignano is charming but small. There are some standardized day tours from Florence that include both San Gimignano and Siena. I don't think S.G. would occupy more than a scant half-day on its own.

Lucca is nice too and could occupy a day.  Of the three mentioned, though, I would recommend Siena.

(If you are on the fence, watch this documentary about the Palio race, and catch the fever! Palio (2015 film) - Wikipedia )

*If interested I can search out the walking tour info. The man who led it was obviously a real part of the fabric of Siena. Every place we went people knew him and greeted him.

If possible, can you find the tour information?  We may be be interested.  

20 minutes ago, PhotoFlo said:

If possible, can you find the tour information?  We may be be interested.  

I’m on a cruise in Japan for the next two weeks but I’ll look it up once I’m home. If time goes by and I don’t post here, please remind me.

On 4/9/2023 at 12:07 PM, cruisemom42 said:

I’m on a cruise in Japan for the next two weeks but I’ll look it up once I’m home. If time goes by and I don’t post here, please remind me.

Thank you, I will do that.  Enjoy your cruise!

I would vote for Lucca.  On a direct train line so a very easy and quite short train journey with no changes needed..  And Lucca station is only across the street and a few yards from one of the entrances into the walled town.  It is "a Tuscan Gem" and a delight to explore.  Over the years we went there twice and the second visit was as enjoyable as the first.

There will be much info and  many images online to tempt you, you only need to look for it all.