Hotel Recommendation

marnie2005

6 minutes ago, marnie2005 said:

Looking for a hotel recommendation for one night post cruise in Waikiki, close to cruise port. Flying out the next day so just want a place close by to explore on foot, many thanks!

Whats your budget and do you have points/loyalty status with any particular brand? Hard to make a recommendation without that info. 

Talking in broad strokes my favorite hotel right on Waikiki Beach is The Royal Hawaiian. A close second would be Halekulani (but it doesn't have nearly as good of a stretch of beach as the RH). Both of these are going to be on the higher end and won't be in everyone's budget. There are other options at a lower price point often discussed on this board. 

I'd look at the Hyatt Regency, Marriott Waikiki, Park Shore Waikiki, Queen Kapiolani, Waikiki Bamboo, The Twin Fin (Formerly Aston Waikiki Beach Hotel), Halepuna Hotel and check the Outrigger Reef and Outrigger Waikiki Beach as well.

If none of those are in your price range on your dates, come back and I have more.

Note that Waikiki is not "near" the cruise port.  The closest hotel is the Aston Executive Center in Downtown Honolulu. Great for seeing sites but no beach.  Next closest I believe is Ala Moana Americana.  Again no beach, but there is a nice beach (Ala Moana Beach Park) across the street (4 block walk). 

1 hour ago, CaribbeanBound said:

Note that Waikiki is not "near" the cruise port.  The closest hotel is the Aston Executive Center in Downtown Honolulu. Great for seeing sites but no beach.  Next closest I believe is Ala Moana Americana.  Again no beach, but there is a nice beach (Ala Moana Beach Park) across the street (4 block walk). 

"Near" is relative. The Ala Moana Hotel is 2.6 miles from the Aloha Tower (which is Pier11), the first hotel in Waikiki (which is across the Ala Wai Canal from Ala Moana) is the Prince Waikiki, and it is 2.9 miles.

Downtown Honolulu is a complete disaster. I'd never recommend anyone stay there.

To each their own. I work in Honolulu annually and very much prefer staying in downtown.  Getting back to the question at hand, if you're only staying one night in Honolulu and want to stay "near" the port, then downtown is the closest option --- and a good one especially if you prefer visiting historic sites rather than beaching.    Granted, the distance from the pier to Prince Waikiki is only a 15-minute taxi ride or a 30-minute bus ride.  But the Prince also doesn't have a beach.

Edited by CaribbeanBound

51 minutes ago, CaribbeanBound said:

To each their own. I work in Honolulu annually and very much prefer staying in downtown. 

I work in Honolulu 5-6 times a years, sometimes more. All of my clients are in Downtown. If I stayed in Downtown they'd think I'd gone nuts. Downtown Honolulu has seriously degenerated in the last 12-15 years, after a brief upswing. The pandemic darn near completed the job. The Fort Street Mall is a disaster; many stores are boarded up.

51 minutes ago, CaribbeanBound said:

Getting back to the question at hand, if you're only staying one night in Honolulu and want to stay "near" the port, then downtown is the closest option --- and a good one especially if you prefer visiting historic sites rather than beaching.    Granted, the distance from the pier to Prince Waikiki is only a 15-minute taxi ride or a 30-minute bus ride.  But the Prince also doesn't have a beach.

Downtown is not a pleasant place during the day, it is doubly so at night.

The center of Waikiki to Iolani Palace is less than 4 miles.

• Like 1