Cabin choice question

soccermom4

We're going to be on the Oosterdam for a South American cruise.  Have cabin 4025 booked (which has the solid metal balcony thing).  I see that 8005 is now also available.  Further forward (under the hallway in the gym) but has the clear balcony thing.  It's the same class - so I think I could change.  Given that the seas can be rough around the Horn, am I better sticking with Deck 4 - or moving to clear balcony?  TIA for input!

1 hour ago, soccermom4 said:

We're going to be on the Oosterdam for a South American cruise.  Have cabin 4025 booked (which has the solid metal balcony thing).  I see that 8005 is now also available.  Further forward (under the hallway in the gym) but has the clear balcony thing.  It's the same class - so I think I could change.  Given that the seas can be rough around the Horn, am I better sticking with Deck 4 - or moving to clear balcony?  TIA for input!

For me it would be a no-brainer.  I'd NEVER book a solid steel wall verandah, so it would be deck 8 for me.  That should be a quiet location, too.  I'm not bothered by being on a higher deck or very far forward.

If I'm going to spend time on my verandah it's most likely sitting down, with a kindle or glass of wine, etc.  Sitting down I can only see the scenery/ocean if the verandah wall is glass/plexiglass.  

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of the 2, I would book under the spa as opposed to over World Stage. And glass o er metal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, REOVA said:

Of the 2, I would book under the spa as opposed to over World Stage. And glass o er metal. 

There's also a reason the forward deck 4 balconies have a steel balcony wall instead of glass.  That's to provide more strength in case of large waves.  At the very least, if you do get into rough seas, you can pretty much guarantee the forward deck 4 balconies will get a lot more salt spray than up on deck 8.

• Thanks 1

My only concern with 8005 is that it's really far forward - with the bridge sticking out, does that interfere with the view?  Last time we had a balcony, we were on Carnival in Alaska- so don't have a good feel for visibility other than the pictures on that other website with deck plans.

My only concern with 8005 is that it's really far forward - with the bridge sticking out, does that interfere with the view?  Last time we had a balcony, we were on Carnival in Alaska- so don't have a good feel for visibility other than the pictures on that other website with deck plans.

Being more forward, you may catch more wind but the bridge shouldn't be an issue. On some ships the Navigation deck is on the same deck as the Pinnacle and Neptune Suites and they don't seem to mind. Besides you'll be able to oversee the officers. 😉

24 minutes ago, REOVA said:

Being more forward, you may catch more wind but the bridge shouldn't be an issue. On some ships the Navigation deck is on the same deck as the Pinnacle and Neptune Suites and they don't seem to mind. Besides you'll be able to oversee the officers. 😉

You may find restrictions on night time balcony light use too.  Cabins near the bridge usually are not permitted to use their balcony light at night to ensure you don't impair the bridge crew's night vision.

9 hours ago, soccermom4 said:

Thanks @nanlaur.  I had been trying to find a picture like that.  Helps me visualize.  Did you like the location?  Any noise from the gym?

Nope, no noise. We actually liked the location so much that we booked a similar location for our cruise next month. It's far enough away from the food that we tell ourselves that we can walk off some of those calories 😆

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, nanlaur said:

Nope, no noise. We actually liked the location so much that we booked a similar location for our cruise next month. It's far enough away from the food that we tell ourselves that we can walk off some of those calories 😆

What calories?

didn’t you upgrade to the no calorie option!

😎

• Haha 2