back from the worse cruise ever!!!

tjsharktank

Did you purchase your shore excursions with Carnival or with an indepenent agency? If you do not book the excursions through Carnival there is nothing they can do to help y ou. If you had listened to the port talk and read the info that Carnival sent you, you would have known that.

The tendering process is explained in full detail. Carnival shore excursions are first with everyone else falling behind them with a tender ticket.

Maybe expecting too much, how do you measure? Self inflicted faults? Blame others rather than looking in the mirror? Can’t believe it was all that bad. How old are you? Perhaps, a young pompous 25 who wants everything their way? Life is what you make it and so is a cruise; there are many different lines to sail. I get more out of research rather than a bitch session on the boards. You are entitled to your opinion, but I think you will find you are in the minority in regard to your particular cruise. Disappointments are experienced usually when there is a failure with a ship system or weather not cooperating causing missed ports.

So what do you want the cruise director to do about Capt Marvin (whom I’ve used), we knew enough to get up early because of all the postings. I could even give you the answer, your own doing. Use resources when preparing, ah the old saying, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

I too am stumped about starving on a ship. Cant imagine that happening.

How bad can a hot dog be?

The capers do list the times of alternatives places--like the chinese is opened during lunch time from 11:30 - 2:30 every day. deli has set hours too.

The grill does not advertise chciken and steaks-- you ahve to request them as these are not pre made like the burgers and the dogs.

Cruising is not for everyone. And especially not for people who expect 5 star dining when the meals have to be made for 1500 at a time. (but i do expect better then McDonalds quality too.)

Im sorry your cruise was not what you expected.. I suggest trying other lines like Celebrity or Holland America- from readin gtheir reviews the food is above Carnival, Royal and Princess.

Sorry you had such a lousy time. We cruised the Victory last May and had a fabulous time. We thought the food was great and enjoyed trying a variety of different things.

I always book my own excursions outside the ship and have had great luck. We just schedule a little later and sleep in a minute to miss the crowd. We have always walked right off.

I also realize that cruising isn't for everyone. Was this your first?

WEll sounds like she had a bad trip. Why would she make all this up?

I don't believe any of this was "made up". These are all very real things that can and do go wrong. A little one sided perhaps, since no positives at all were listed, but that can easily be explained by the frustration of the moment.

I guess I expected a negative reaction to my post but if one person like me sees it before they go, I'm glad. We truly were hungry at night. There were NOT the multiple food options on this ship. As I said, the same thing was being served in two places for dinner! Its a shame when you go on a cruise and have to eat pizza all week or order BLT's from room service.

BTW - The pros of my cruise were few but they were: the golf simulator and the golf pro himself, Earl. He was VERY good and I wish we would have done the golf excursion with him but we had already booked something else for Ocho Rios. Also our cabin steward was great. Other than that, we hated it.

And as for the grand cayman fiasco, EVERYONE was sent downstairs, even those who booked carnival excursions.

Not trying to flame you in any way, but in all honestly, if the golf pro and your cabin steward were truly the ONLY good things from your cruise, then cruising is not for you.

If there was nothing else in any of the ports you stopped at but your excursions that interested you, or nothing else you enjoyed onboard during your days at sea, then cruising shouldn't be a vacation choice for you as you are likely to have only the same options on most other lines.

Sorry it didn't work for you.

Not trying to flame you in any way, but in all honestly, if the golf pro and your cabin steward were truly the ONLY good things from your cruise, then cruising is not for you.

If there was nothing else in any of the ports you stopped at but your excursions that interested you, or nothing else you enjoyed onboard during your days at sea, then cruising shouldn't be a vacation choice for you as you are likely to have only the same options on most other lines.

Sorry it didn't work for you.

Well said...

I was on Victory for honeymoon last August and everything was fantastic. We never were starving, I thought the food was superb. Everything was open when it was suppose to be open. I just can't imagine being starved ut oh well, dont be to discouraged.

Someone already stated they were perplexed by the starving comments, so I will not reiterate.

What I would like to comment on is the fact that OP seriously thought they would be treated to the first tender in Cayman even though they did NOT buy their excursion through Carnival. Am I naive or is it not a commonly known FACT that if you book excursions on your own YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. I think this is the crux of the OP's true anger and consequential disdain for the whole cruise and "true hatred" for the CD.

PE

I have a question regarding capt Marvins:

if the ship is docking at 7:30 (advertised) and capt marvin is doing an excursion at 8:30 and wants you there by 8am ??

That doesnt sound right.-- doesnt sound like capt marvins.

I am thinking that a lot of people would miss this excursion if that was the case.,..as some ships dont even dock until 8am.

For 1- he knows that when ships dock the cruiselines gives the first tenders to the people who booked excursions through the cruiselines first. I think YOU misunderstood the director when he was promising that people with early excursions can be off in time for their excursions..

Capt Marvins web page states that his excursions start at 8:30

I guess I expected a negative reaction to my post ....

Well we would have had you "drawn and quartered" but Host Randy told us to play nice today since he has to a lot of work to do at his "real job".

And after all, what a boring world this would be if "one size did fit all!!"

You have no idea how much research and planning I did for this cruise. I'm known as the researcher and I went with plenty of knowledge. I think its rude of you to assume that I didn't plan properly.

Well- you may have did research but if you looked at the right research you would have known that cruise excursions get those tenders first..so you should not have expected to get on that first tender..and if a vendor wanted you at his place before 8am-- you would have known you would not have made it in time.

IF everyone was indeed sent to the tenders at the same time-- then you should be beefing at carnival at their 1-800 number along with a letter. That is NOT acceptable and someone could of got hurt. since Carnival runs LOTS of excursions in Grand cayman.

when these people booked their excursions they should have been given a sticker-- which will tell the staff what tender they should have been on.

You have no idea how much research and planning I did for this cruise. I'm known as the researcher and I went with plenty of knowledge. I think its rude of you to assume that I didn't plan properly.

I don't think they were being rude...it has been my experience what when it is all said and done ... folks that don't have a good experience on a particular cruise line just did not know it as well as they thought they did before they went. It doesn't mean you did not plan or research or that you are inept in any way. This just seems to be a common reason with folks in the past.

but you probably didn't research the right things. I didn't know you had to request steak or chicken at the grill. I personally would never dream to ask for it, unless there is a menu that lists it. Same thing with ordering steak or chicken at dinner, even if it's not on the menu. I didn't even order 2 of anything at dinner (you know, polite ladies never order seconds!) But I didn't realize that you could, and actually encouraged!

There are many secrets that Carnival has. Unless you find out from a friend, or a board like this, you'd never know. For example, ordering 2 entrees; requesting steak at the grill; that they get their own excursions off the ship before others, etc. And if you are like I am (tend to be quiet, and unwilling to ask), you would never know about these things.

Well- you may have did research but if you looked at the right research you would have known that cruise excursions get those tenders first..so you should not have expected to get on that first tender..and if a vendor wanted you at his place before 8am-- you would have known you would not have made it in time.

Actually, I would be more surprised that the vendor did not mention to him that debarking that early may be a problem. I know that Randi (Randi's horses) has mentioned (in a very nice way) that she realizes her 9AM excursions are early and to please "get on off the boat" - so to speak.

CRUISE DIRECTOR: My hatred for this man is very high.

HATRED over a shore excursion problem? All I can say to that is WOW. Every line and ship I have cruised on has the same policy: priority tendering is provided for those who purchase ship sponsored excursions. Everyone else must wait.

It was the worse experience of my life. I will never go on a carnival ship again. I’m sure I’m forgetting some things because I am so flustered right now. BUYER BEWARE – carnival does not care one bit about you once you buy your ticket.

You must be very lucky if the "worst experience of your life" is a disappointing cruise.

Based on your review, it really sounds like cruising is just not for you. I've sailed on four different lines, and I think you would find many of the same issues on these ships. Unless you want to shell out for one of the ultra expensive luxury lines, you probably would not be happy with any of the lines I've sailed on (Disney, HAL, Carnival, Royal Caribbean).

In my understanding when the CD "promised" you to be on the first tender boats, to me means with in the first 5 or so. Which in your words you got off on the 3rd boat. We had heard many problems with getting off in Grand Cayman and that it could take a while, we took the guarenteed snorkel tour from Carnival and it was only a extra 4 dollars from the Capt Marvins price.

Did your cruise start out on a bad note? The reason I ask is because sometimes (I know because I've done this) something "unexpected" happens at the beginning of a vacation (cruise or not) and if you let the one moment set the mood for your vacation then you set yourself up to have a bad time.

On our second cruise the ship lost one of our bags (the one with 98% of the under garments in it). Let me tell you that is not the way to start a vacation. I let everything about that cruise drive me up the wall - until about the 3rd night into the cruise. That's when my husband told me that I was driving him (and the kids) crazy with all my whining and complaining - there was nothing we could do the bag was not there and Carnival wasn't being very helpful. I had to step back and look at the situation from my familys perceptive - they were having a rotten time because of my attitude. Once I realized that things were the way they were the rest of the cruise was great (with a couple blips - related to the bag). BTW - the bag didn't show up until the last night - when we had to put luggage out.

I understand how food can ruin your cruise. We decided to try RCL and the food (in my opinion) was the worst I'd ever had. I went to bed hungry. Others on the same cruise said the food was great. The only thing we could conclude was that we had either different dining times or sat in opposite sides of the dining room from the people who raved.

Carnival (or any cruise line for that matter) could care less that you have a scheduled excursion that you booked on your own. The people who book through them get priority. As far a tours being cut short - that happens also. I've also been on some where they lasted longer. It probably had more to do with the bus driver than something under the control of Carnival. Maybe someone in his family was sick and he cut the tour short - you will never know the reason - but the point is Carnival sub-contracts. I think you were right to complain if the tour was cut short - by all means you should let them know. I think it was great that they refunded some of the money - but I wouldn't have expected it. They were probably still feeling the rath of your previous visit (at least in your post it sounds as if you were pretty upset). I have had my "moments" with the pursers desk and I will say if you go up there with both barrels blazing you will get the cold shoulder. It is not the case of the squeeky wheel gets the grease.

Sorry your cruise didn't turn out the way you expected. Trying another line might be an option - but things could be worse. Maybe cruising isn't for you.

Archived